I love gentoo... but...

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's so damn finnickey to install sometimes. I can't get a decent kernel compile for the life of me. It always fvcks up during the make clean bzImage part for some stupid reason. It gave some error like:

find 3c515 target changed during find operation

Now, I know the 3c515 is a 3com ethernet driver, so I disabled it in the kernel config. But I keep getting other stupid errors all over the place. This happens regardless of whether I do a manual config or just use the genkernel utility. *sigh*

I WAS using the 1.4 rc4 disks, so maybe that's the problem. I just finished d/l the 1.4 final ones so hopefully that helps.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
try slackware, its great

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Naw. I just played around with some config files and got it installed. Just bought a new video card though, so that'll take a bit of time to reconfigure, and I still have to get networking up. I might just recompile the kernel again anyways... But after playing some games :D

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I might just recompile the kernel again anyways... But after playing some games :D
I'm a gamer and I'm interested in Linux. What is the most reliable & fastest Windows to Linux Port? I'm also wondering which Linux to get, but I guess I'd outta read Grasspa's guide first :smile:

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
if ure a gamer, then linux is a no. dual boot for now. unfortunately, windows is still better for games.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, gaming and linux generally don't go well together. I know you can get Halflife (and thus CS) to work well with wine, and you can get linux ports of UT and Quake series, but after that it's pretty much hit and miss with wine. One thing I like though is the default installs of mandrake and a few other distros give you some sweet oldschool arcade games that are just as fun as any 3d shooter you can get these days :)

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
One thing I like though is the default installs of mandrake and a few other distros give you some sweet oldschool arcade games that are just as fun as any 3d shooter you can get these days :)
now thats what i call a hardcore gamer.

maalth

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
You should do a search on http://forums.gentoo.org/ Chances are someone had the same problem and fixed this already.