Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE

I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their primary
application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a shared
Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.

After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations as
expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro 2.5 I
believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear without
printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of jobs would
stack up very quickly.

I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers from the
server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one week, then
the problem re-appeared.

I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same problem
occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added using the
XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how long or
what causes it to re-appear.

JE
10 answers Last reply
More about problems printing upgrade 98se

    May find some help here.
    Print From DOS with WindowsXP
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "je7383" wrote:

    > I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their primary
    > application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a shared
    > Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.
    >
    > After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations as
    > expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro 2.5 I
    > believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear without
    > printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of jobs would
    > stack up very quickly.
    >
    > I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers from the
    > server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one week, then
    > the problem re-appeared.
    >
    > I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same problem
    > occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added using the
    > XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how long or
    > what causes it to re-appear.

    > JE

    Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
    --
    JE

    "Byte" wrote:

    > May find some help here.
    > Print From DOS with WindowsXP
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    > --
    > Some days you're the windshield,
    > some days you're the bug.
    >

    > "je7383" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their primary
    > > application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a shared
    > > Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.
    > >
    > > After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations as
    > > expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro 2.5 I
    > > believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear without
    > > printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of jobs would
    > > stack up very quickly.
    > >
    > > I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers from the
    > > server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one week, then
    > > the problem re-appeared.
    > >
    > > I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same problem
    > > occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added using the
    > > XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how long or
    > > what causes it to re-appear.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    > > --
    > > JE

    Do this:

    1. share the printer on the host computer (make sure the share name is
    short,ex: LASER)
    2. Log on to the client computer, click START | RUN and type CMD
    3.Type NET USE LPT1: \\HOSTCOMPUTERNAME\LASER /PERSISTENT:YES (you must do
    this for every user on the client computer not just the administrator).

    Hope this helps.

    E Ortega

    "je7383" <Jeff7383@anon.postalias> wrote in message
    > Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
    > --
    > JE
    >

    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> May find some help here.
    >> Print From DOS with WindowsXP
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    >> --
    >> Some days you're the windshield,
    >> some days you're the bug.
    >>

    >> "je7383" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their primary
    >> > application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a shared
    >> > Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.
    >> >
    >> > After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations
    >> > as
    >> > expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro 2.5
    >> > believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear
    >> > without
    >> > printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of jobs
    >> > would
    >> > stack up very quickly.
    >> >
    >> > I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers from
    >> > the
    >> > server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one week,
    >> > then
    >> > the problem re-appeared.
    >> >
    >> > I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same
    >> > problem
    >> > occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added using
    >> > the
    >> > XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how long
    >> > or
    >> > what causes it to re-appear.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    >> > --
    >> > JE

    Hi Jeff,

    Thank you for using newsgroup!

    First, I want to appreciate all valuable input above. Thanks!

    For your issue, based on my research, by default, most MS-DOS-based
    programs print directly to either the LPT1 port or to the LPT2 port.
    However, the output is not automatically routed across a redirector to a
    print share unless you use one of the following methods.

    Method 1 (Ortega has mentioned)
    ===============
    Use the net.exe command to establish a persistent connection. To do this,
    use the following syntax at a command prompt
    net use lptx \\printserver\sharename /persistent:yes
    where x is the number of the printer port that you want to map, where
    printserver is the print server that is sharing the printer, and where
    sharename is the name of the printer share.

    For example, to map LPT1 to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server
    that is named Pserver, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. Type net use lpt1 \\pserver\laser1 /persistent:yes, and then press
    ENTER.
    4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    Note: In Windows XP, non-administrative users cannot map an LPT port to a
    network printer path when the LPT port exists on the computer as a physical
    parallel port.
    313644: Non-administrators cannot remap an LPT port to a network printer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313644/

    Method 2
    ===============
    Print directly to the printer share by using the following syntax at a
    command prompt
    print /d:\\printserver\sharenamedrive:\path\filename
    where printserver is the print server sharing the printer, where sharename
    is the name of the printer share, and where drive:, path, and filename make
    up the complete path of the document that you want to print.

    For example, to print a document that is named letter.doc from the root
    directory of drive C to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server that
    is named Pserver, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. Type print /d:\\pserver\laser1 c:\letter.doc, and then press ENTER.

    The following command-line message appears:
    C:\letter.doc is currently being printed
    4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    Because Novell NetWare's CAPTURE command is not supported in Windows XP,
    use the following command to map the LPT port to a Novell NetWare print
    queue:
    net use lptx \\server\queue
    If the LPT port is redirected successfully, you receive the following
    message:
    The command completed successfully.
    To disconnect persistent LPTx connections, use the following syntax:
    net use lptx /delete

    More detailed information, please refer to the article:
    314499: How to print to a network printer from an MS-DOS-based program in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314499

    I hope the information helps!

    Best regards,

    Ken Zhao
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:
    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <Jeff7383@anon.postalias>
    | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
    | Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    |
    | Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
    | --
    | JE
    |

    | "Byte" wrote:
    |
    | > May find some help here.
    | > Print From DOS with WindowsXP
    | > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    | > --
    | > Some days you're the windshield,
    | > some days you're the bug.
    | >

    | > "je7383" wrote:
    | >
    | > > I have a client whom I recently upgraded to XP from 98SE. Their
    primary
    | > > application is a DOS application, and their primary printer is a
    shared
    | > > Laserjet 6p. They are on a peer to peer network.
    | > >
    | > > After the upgrade, at first, test pages printed from all workstations
    as
    | > > expected. Upon attempting to print from the DOS application (Foxpro
    2.5 I
    | > > believe), A print job would show up in the queue, then disappear
    without
    | > > printing, then more jobs would be added continuously. Hundreds of
    jobs would
    | > > stack up very quickly.
    | > >
    | > > I resolved the problem by deleting the print queue and the drivers
    from the
    | > > server then re-installing. This solved the problem for about one
    week, then
    | > > the problem re-appeared.
    | > >
    | > > I then tried using the newest driver on the HP web site. The same
    problem
    | > > occurred. Next I deleted the queue and drivers again and re-added
    using the
    | > > XP driver again. This solved the problem but I don't know for how
    long or
    | > > what causes it to re-appear.
    | > >
    | > > Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    | > > --
    | > > JE

    Ken,
    I've done the net use /persistent=yes, and I can get everything to print.
    The real problem is that after printing perfectly for a while, it seems like
    until a power down possibly, then jobs enter the que, but don't print.

    In addition to not printing, the jobs multiply. For example if you delete
    all of the jobs from the queue and print a test page from XP, from either the
    workstation that is directly connected to the printer, or one that is using
    it accross the network, as soon as the test page enters the queue and goes to
    the printing state, another one enters the queue in the spooling state.

    Eventually the queue fills with hundreds of jobs that do not print.

    I resolved the problem yesterday by: clearing the queue, deleting the queue,
    removing the driver from the server, re-starting the workstation and let it
    discover the printer and load the software on it's own.

    This morning I was called and told that it has the same error! I talked the
    staff through the above steps and it works fine again.

    Manually installing the printer failed to fix the problem yesterday. It had
    to be installed automatically to work. Also the new driver on HP's site did
    not work.

    Once again, the problem isn't that I can't ever get it to print, but rather
    it works for a while and then goes nuts.

    I hope this clarifies exactly what's happening.

    Thanks

    --
    JE

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    > Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
    >
    > This and other support options are available here:
    > BCPS:
    > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    > Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
    >
    > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
    > Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
    >

    > --------------------
    > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <Jeff7383@anon.postalias>
    > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
    > | Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    > |
    > | Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.

    Hi Jeff,

    I am sorry to hear that the problem re-occurs after you clean the queue of
    print jobs.

    Reviewing your original post, I notice you are using a shared printer. At
    this point, please help me double-confirm the following information:

    1. What is the exact OS system that connected to the printer directly?

    2. Can you print any local print jobs correctly in the system which
    connected to the printer directly?

    3. Does the issue occur on only one Windows XP client or all other Windows
    XP clients?

    4. To isolate the DOS application influence, please help me confirm if you
    can print any documents from other applications correctly (i.e. Word,
    Excel, and Notepad).

    5. If possible, I also suggest you try the following suggestions to test:
    1) Remove the printer to another machine to make a test.
    2) Replace the printer with other printers to see if the issue also occurs
    on other printers.

    6. Use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference
    To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system
    into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

    1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
    left.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
    the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
    4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.
    5. Click OK and restart your computer.

    310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

    For more detailed troubleshooting steps, please refer to the articles:
    314085: Troubleshooting general printing problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314085

    314073: How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314073

    If you have any update or results, please feel free to post back.

    Thanks & Regards,

> [...]

    | > This and other support options are available here:
    | > BCPS:

    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    | > Others:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    | > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
    | > Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
    | > =====================================================
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <Jeff7383@anon.postalias>
    | > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
    | > | Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    | > |
    | > | Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Byte" wrote:
    | > |

    | > primary
    | > shared

    | > as
    | > 2.5 I
    | > without
    | > jobs would

    | > from the
    | > week, then

    | > problem
    | > using the
    | > long or

    | > |

    Ken,
    As of this morning, everyone is still printing fine. The problem started
    immediately after the upgrade to XP, but I was able to resolve it. It
    returned approximately 1 week later, but I was able to resolve it in the same
    way.

    1. The workstation that hosts the printer is running XP Pro SP2. It was
    recently upgraded from 98 SE.

    2. When we are experiencing the problem, local and remote jobs fail in the
    same manner.

    3. All Windows XP clients that are using the printer experience the same
    problem.

    4. Once the problem occurs, it affects all print jobs, local and remote,
    from DOS applications or Windows applications including test pages.

    5. If the problem reoccurs, I'll definately move the printer to another
    workstation, but if I do that, I'll have to create the queue and re-share it
    from the new pc. These are the same steps taken to resolve the problem now so
    I'm sure that it will alleviate the problem at least for awhile.

    6. Since the problems survives re-boot, I'll probably try this before step 5.

    Thanks,
    --
    JE

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > | > Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical
    > phone
    > | > support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    > | > situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to
    > all
    > | > Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
    > | >
    > | > This and other support options are available here:
    > | > BCPS:
    > | >
    > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    > | > Others:
    > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
    > | >
    > | > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
    > | > Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
    > | > =====================================================
    > | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for further clarification!

    For your specific issue, at this moment, I also want to provide the
    following steps to clean the printer subsystem completely on the
    workstation that hosts the printer, and then reinstall it again.

    Step1.
    =============
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the right pane, right-click Print Spooler service to select Stop.

    Step2. Clean the printer subsystem completely
    =============
    WARNING:
    a) Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may
    require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee
    that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be
    solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    b) Using this method will remove all of the printer drivers installed on
    the system. You need to reinstall the printer drive in order for the
    printer to work.

    1. Log into the system as an administrator, click Start >> Run, input
    regedit and click OK to run regedit.exe.

    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print, click
    Registry->Export Registry File on the menu, and export the current key to a
    REG file for backup. (Note: You may double click on the REG file in Windows
    Explorer to restore the original settings)

    3. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
    s NT x86\Drivers, remove both the Version-2 and Version-3 keys.

    4. Remove all sub keys under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers. (DO NOT
    REMOVE THE PRINTERS KEY.)

    5. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Window
    s NT x86\PrintProcessors, delete any processor that is not the following:

    winprint

    6. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers, delete
    any provider that is not one of the following:

    Internet Print Provider
    LanMan Print Services

    7. Refer to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors],
    delete any monitor that is not one of the following:

    BJ Language Monitor
    Local Port
    PJL Language Monitor
    Standard TCP/IP Port
    USB Monitor
    Windows NT Fax Monitor
    AppleTalk Printing Devices
    LPR Port

    8. Exit the registry editor.

    9. Remove all files from the following directories:
    C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2
    C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

    Step3.
    =============
    Please reboot and install the printer driver again to test the issue again.

    Hope the suggestion helps!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Ken Zhao

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
    Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
    Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
    code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
    after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
    secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
    expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
    able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
    update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
    will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    information, please go to:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    4662

    --------------------
> [...]
    | > |
    | > | I resolved the problem yesterday by: clearing the queue, deleting the
    | > queue,
    | > | removing the driver from the server, re-starting the workstation and
    let
    | > it
    | > | discover the printer and load the software on it's own.
    | > |
    | > | This morning I was called and told that it has the same error! I
    talked
    | > the
    | > | staff through the above steps and it works fine again.
    | > |
    | > | Manually installing the printer failed to fix the problem yesterday.
    It
    | > had
    | > | to be installed automatically to work. Also the new driver on HP's
    | > |
    | > | Once again, the problem isn't that I can't ever get it to print, but
    | > rather
    | > | it works for a while and then goes nuts.
    | > |
    | > | I hope this clarifies exactly what's happening.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | JE
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
    | > |

    | > this,

    | > server
    | > physical

    | > sharename
    | > make

    | > that
    ENTER.

    Windows
    | > XP,

    | > in

    | > so
    | > phone
    | > all

    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    | > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    International
    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
    | > rights.

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    Their

    Ken,
    I'll try this this week when I get back to see this client. I just wanted to
    leave an update here. After getiing it to work last Monday by the steps that
    I mentioned before, the printing worked for the entire week.

    This morning after being powered off all weekend, the problem came back.
    Since I was getting them going over the phone, I just used the workaround
    that I came up with and it worked. I'll try the complete removal that you've
    posted when I get there this week, and we'll see if the problem comes back.

    Thanks for all of your help.

    --
    JE

    "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > | > 314085: Troubleshooting general printing problems in Windows XP
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314085
    > | >
    > | > 314073: How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314073
    > | >
    > | > If you have any update or results, please feel free to post back.
    > | >
    > | > Thanks & Regards,
    > | >
    > | > Ken Zhao
    > | >
    > | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    > | >
    > | > =====================================================
    > | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    > so
    > | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > | > =====================================================
    > | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    Hi Jeff,

    Please feel free to try my suggestions and if you have any results, also
    please feel free to let me know.

    Hope that helps!

> [...]

    | > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
    | > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
    | > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
    | > information, please go to:

    https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
    | > 4662
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <Jeff7383@anon.postalias>
    | > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
    | > | Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:34:03 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    | > |
    | > | Ken,
    | > | As of this morning, everyone is still printing fine. The problem
    started
    | > | immediately after the upgrade to XP, but I was able to resolve it. It
    | > | returned approximately 1 week later, but I was able to resolve it in
    | > |
    | > | 1. The workstation that hosts the printer is running XP Pro SP2. It
    was
    | > | recently upgraded from 98 SE.
    | > |
    | > | 2. When we are experiencing the problem, local and remote jobs fail
    in
    | > the
    | > | same manner.
    | > |
    | > | 3. All Windows XP clients that are using the printer experience the
    same
    | > | problem.
    | > |
    | > | 4. Once the problem occurs, it affects all print jobs, local and
    remote,
    | > | from DOS applications or Windows applications including test pages.
    | > |
    | > | 5. If the problem reoccurs, I'll definately move the printer to
    another
    | > | workstation, but if I do that, I'll have to create the queue and
    re-share
    | > it
    | > | from the new pc. These are the same steps taken to resolve the
    problem
    | > now so
    | > | I'm sure that it will alleviate the problem at least for awhile.
    | > |
    | > | 6. Since the problems survives re-boot, I'll probably try this before
    | > step 5.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > | --