Terrible random crashes - probably AGP related

G

I was experiencing very bad d3d performance with my geforce 2 gts on an asus k7m mobo, until I flashed the bios and updated the agp miniport driver. Now I have very satisfying performance (5600 marks on a 600) but it crashes randomly when playing games, and even when working with 3d studio max. I really don't know what the problem could be, I tried older agp drivers, flashed my bios with the second last version (the oldest one I could find) but still it crashes. I don't think it's a cooling problem cause I have two 120mm fans blowing through my case and the mobo probe says 18 degrees celsius... anyone can help me please? This really is no life, all I can do is surfing and reading my email...

G

my geforce sdr crashes on my abit be6-2 motherboard but the tnt and riva128 agp dont. use a tnt instead

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm you did not say but I figure you have a gforce with those scores........the amd irongate chipset does not play well with that card unfortunately, a better fit would have been a radeon in this case. Try downloading powerstrip and make sure you are running agp 1x

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Thanks for responding, but I already tried all of those drivers, even the very old detonators... I have a GeForce 2 GTS and it ran fine before, I don't get what the problem could be. I use Nvmax and it already runs on AGP 1x too. Also I do have a 300W power supply and my bios monitor shows that the voltages are stable.
I might just buy a tbird on an Abit K7A mainboard soon, I already spent more time on this issue then it's worth... it's not the first problem I had with Asus-GeForce combinations.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I found this a www.geforcefaq.com

(update: I don't know if it applies to a Geforce 2 GTS.)

"Q. I have an ASUS K7M, A7V or Abit BE6-II motherboard and I have instability or tearing problems with the GeForce. How can I fix it?
Thanks to Markus Weissmann who told me about this solution from Creative Labs:

The ASUS K7M has a jumper for selecting the I/O-voltage, which is set to 3.4V by default. Set this to 3.31V (since this is the 'official' voltage for video cards). On the K7M this jumper is on the upper right side, a jumper-block with 4 pins.

The ASUS A7V runs at 3.56V by default. Try changing this to 3.31V or 3.35V.

This is also true of the Abit BE6-II, which is set to have an I/O voltage of 3.5V by default. Try changing this to 3.31V.

However, for some people the reverse may be true - increasing the voltage may fix the problem."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 01/29/01 08:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Unfortunately it didn't help :( Well it's ok, I'm not gonna get frustrated because of this, my new cpu and mobo are arriving on friday so I will just give this troublemaker to the first brave soul willing to spend some bucks and some time to fix it... it feels really bad when you can't fix your problems.