Limit browsing to 5 sites/block the rest of the web

Hi All,

I just got DSL services on a small office network (5 Pcs). I would like to
limit internet browsing to only 5 sites that we do business with and would
like to block-out the rest of the internet. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Windows XP Pro SP2, Linksys router.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"E Ortega" <elburu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I just got DSL services on a small office network (5 Pcs). I would
> like to limit internet browsing to only 5 sites that we do business
> with and would like to block-out the rest of the internet. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2, Linksys router.

Put a NAT router with firewall between your internal hosts and the DSL
modem to configure the URLs for the domains that you want to allow. You
could also use a gateway host running a firewall or get a firewall
appliance if you need more power, more rules, or more features than what
a NAT router's firewall provides. There are MANY Linksys routers, each
with varying features. You didn't mention WHICH one that YOU use. A
low-end D-Link NAT router has more firewall features than a low-end
Linksys NAT router, but maybe you have something more potent than the
LinkSys BEFSR41 entry-level NAT router.

Thank you. I have a Linksys WRT55AG router.

"Vanguard" <Vangu@rd.invalid> wrote in message
> "E Ortega" <elburu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just got DSL services on a small office network (5 Pcs). I would like
>> to limit internet browsing to only 5 sites that we do business with and
>> would like to block-out the rest of the internet. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP2, Linksys router.
>
> Put a NAT router with firewall between your internal hosts and the DSL
> modem to configure the URLs for the domains that you want to allow. You
> could also use a gateway host running a firewall or get a firewall
> appliance if you need more power, more rules, or more features than what a
> NAT router's firewall provides. There are MANY Linksys routers, each with
> varying features. You didn't mention WHICH one that YOU use. A low-end
> D-Link NAT router has more firewall features than a low-end Linksys NAT
> router, but maybe you have something more potent than the LinkSys BEFSR41
> entry-level NAT router.

"E Ortega" <elburu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I just got DSL services on a small office network (5 Pcs). I would like to
> limit internet browsing to only 5 sites that we do business with and would
> like to block-out the rest of the internet. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2, Linksys router.

I can think of a few things to investigate. I haven't tried them so I'm not
sure if they'll work. If the pc's are all using XP Pro you could use group
policies to set the security level to trusted sites and add the sites to the
trusted sites list. You could also try using the host file with all traffic
directed to 127.0.0.1 except for the domains in question. Instead of
upgrading your router you could install a Linux box with a DNS server that
only resolved the wanted sites and point all your pc's to this server. The
best solution would probably be some software to implement this. A google
search found the following: http://www.codework.com/bcontrol/product.html

There are many possible solutions.

Kerry

TRENDING THREADS