ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Help!! this is probably not the right place to ask but....
I have a desperate need to move a large file (>9MB) from an
old Win 98 laptop to my XP Pro machine.
Laptop only has a floppy drive for output. I know there are
programs that split large files but I can't find them.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can you not network the two machines together? Transferring would be much
easier then. If necessary they can be networked via the serial or parallel
ports.

"Ken" <fleens_dad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Help!! this is probably not the right place to ask but....
> I have a desperate need to move a large file (>9MB) from an old Win 98
> laptop to my XP Pro machine.
> Laptop only has a floppy drive for output. I know there are programs that
> split large files but I can't find them.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help

If they both have USB why not buy a USB Memory Stick. They are great for
moving data between computers and are as large as 1 gig.

"Ken" <fleens_dad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Help!! this is probably not the right place to ask but....
> I have a desperate need to move a large file (>9MB) from an old Win 98
> laptop to my XP Pro machine.
> Laptop only has a floppy drive for output. I know there are programs that
> split large files but I can't find them.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help

I would recommend using a utility such as FileSplit
(http://www.download.com/FileSplit/3000-2248_4-10398838.html?tag=lst-0-4) or
WinZip Self Extractor which comes with WinZip -- (eval version here
http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm)

Hope this helps
--
Patrick Elliott

Have you run WindowsUpdate lately?
Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to be sure Windows is up to date.

"Ken" <fleens_dad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Help!! this is probably not the right place to ask but....
> I have a desperate need to move a large file (>9MB) from an old Win 98
> laptop to my XP Pro machine.
> Laptop only has a floppy drive for output. I know there are programs that
> split large files but I can't find them.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help

"Ken" <fleens_dad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Help!! this is probably not the right place to ask but....
> I have a desperate need to move a large file (>9MB) from an old Win 98
> laptop to my XP Pro machine.
> Laptop only has a floppy drive for output. I know there are programs that
> split large files but I can't find them.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help

Try K-werkx Inc, Fast File Saw and Joiner.
Just go to download.com and search for "file splitter" and you will find
many. Blocker is a good command line splitter if you can find it.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dennis Marks wrote:
> If they both have USB why not buy a USB Memory Stick. They are great for
> moving data between computers and are as large as 1 gig.
>
> "Ken" <fleens_dad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Help!! this is probably not the right place to ask but....
>>I have a desperate need to move a large file (>9MB) from an old Win 98
>>laptop to my XP Pro machine.
>>Laptop only has a floppy drive for output. I know there are programs that
>>split large files but I can't find them.
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for the help

Memory Stick! Of Course. Sometimes one can't see the forest
for trees. Thanks to all for your suggestions

WinZip works well but you need to register it to use spanned disks.