XP crashing during upgrade from Win2k - Need help badly

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hello there.

I am upgrading a Toshiba tecra 8200 from Windows 2000 to Windows XP
Pro, and every time during the installation, the computer blue screens
with error 0x0000007e (I wish I could tell you more about the error,
but it only flashes for half a second). I think the error mentions a
file called ds1.sys also.

I am now in an unfortunate predicament: I no longer have the option of
booting into Windows 2000, so I am having a lot of difficulty
trouble-shooting this issue. Using a bootable CD, I can see that the
filesystem is still in tact (thank god, because I need that stuff), but
just can't get the XP installation to complete.

I would be so grateful to anyone who might offer me any help with this
problem.

Thank you so much.

Some Common reasons for this could be: 1) This is the most common reason. The Operating System, in this case Windows XP does not
have a driver for the controller card that is being used in this system. this means that the appropriate driver needs to be
downloaded from the vendor's website and placed on a floppy disk. During Setup you will need to hit the F6 key when that option is
presented during setup to load the driver. e.g. www.highpoint-tech.com 2) Second most common reason This can be caused by boot
sector viruses. So make sure that the system is scanned for viruses before starting the installation. 3) The volume could be corrupt
and is not readable. the data is illegible. 4) Post setup the registry may be corrupted. 5) Drive Translation is being used that is
not being understood.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"chris" <uniquelikeu@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5bfbc0e0.0507111242.7c2f9288@posting.google.com...
> Hello there.
>
> I am upgrading a Toshiba tecra 8200 from Windows 2000 to Windows XP
> Pro, and every time during the installation, the computer blue screens
> with error 0x0000007e (I wish I could tell you more about the error,
> but it only flashes for half a second). I think the error mentions a
> file called ds1.sys also.
>
> I am now in an unfortunate predicament: I no longer have the option of
> booting into Windows 2000, so I am having a lot of difficulty
> trouble-shooting this issue. Using a bootable CD, I can see that the
> filesystem is still in tact (thank god, because I need that stuff), but
> just can't get the XP installation to complete.
>
> I would be so grateful to anyone who might offer me any help with this
> problem.
>
> Thank you so much.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi Mark.

I found an updated Toshiba BIOS driver that I downloaded and burnt to
CD (the computer doesn't have a floppy drive). The update consisted of
a .com file and a .exe file, but unfortunately, the CD was not
bootable, so I really couldn't do anything with the disk.

I am sure my problems are caused by BIOS incompatibility, but I can't
seem to fix it.

thanks,
chris