AGP 8X?!?!?

G

I actually read about AGP8X in a magazine. If you're courious, it is a Maximum PC special for January called Power User. In the article which was talking about Mobo buses and stuff, there was a section about AGP which mentioned AGP8X to be coming out in new mobos around mid-2001. They specified that AGP8X was only going to be backwards compatible with AGP 4X mobos.

AGP 4X being the current fastest bus with a total bandwith of 1.06GB/sec over AGP2X's 532MB/sec bandwith. AGP8X will carry a 2.1 GB/sec total bandwith.

So my question is, does anyone know how much difference makes AGP4X over AGP2X?? Since I don't have an AGP4X 3d accelerator or mobo, I wouldn't know. Benchmark links, personal experience or any kind of help is apreciated. :)

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AGP 4x isn't that much faster, 3-9% says tom. lately all this NEW stuff doesn't offer that much of a boost. I think the only 2 good things coming out are USB 2.0 and Serial ATA.

--SR

G

don't really know too much about this, but wouldn't it depend on what kind of application you are running. for example the faster agp slots would bennefit better from something like large 3D files with huge textures, because the card would be able to get more info at a time from the system memory. while you wouldn't notice such a difference on most applications and games because there is no need to talk to the system memory at such rates and in most games i think the developers are very concious to make the textures small enough to fit on the card's memory anyway. let me know if this is remotely correct or if i'm just full of it.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Doesn´t matter really!

You don´t give full use to AGP 2X, and still are far from using AGP 4X at full capacity!
Having AGP 8X, will be just a marketing issue for the companies and a showoff from owners to their friends!

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live