XP Home or Win 2000?

Deleted member 3023

I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.

Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready to
format the HD and reinstall the O/S.

I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would have
received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the machines).

The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
that.

Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?

Thanks

You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
Home Edition and perform a "clean install".

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Corey" wrote:

| I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
| had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
| Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.
|
| Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
| I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready to
| format the HD and reinstall the O/S.
|
| I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
| understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would have
| received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the machines).
|
| The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
| have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
| that.
|
| Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?
|
| Thanks

You have three options as I see it. First, have the IT guy come up with
that Windows 2000 disk and format and install that. Second, if you can't
get the IT guy to help, and you have your original Windows 98 disk, format
and install that. Third, if you can't work with number one or two, go buy a
copy of Windows XP and format and install that. With that 450 Mhz
processor, it won't be a speed demon, but it will work.

Then, do something about your system security. I use Zone Alarm for my
firewall, a free version is available. I also use the free version of AVG
Anti-Virus. Also free of charge, and highly respected, is Spybot Search and
Destroy and AdAware SE. Use them and some common sense and your systems
will be malware free.

"Corey" <corey@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
>had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
>Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.
>
> Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
> I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready
> to format the HD and reinstall the O/S.
>
> I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
> understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would have
> received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the machines).
>
> The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
> have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
> that.
>
> Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?
>
> Thanks

Deleted member 3023

This is an older Dell (maybe 5 year old machine) with Windows2000 as the
O/S. Can I upgrade Win2K to XP? I thought when I looked at the O/S's that
could upgrade to XP, 2000 wasn't listed.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You have three options as I see it. First, have the IT guy come up with
> that Windows 2000 disk and format and install that. Second, if you can't
> get the IT guy to help, and you have your original Windows 98 disk, format
> and install that. Third, if you can't work with number one or two, go buy
> a copy of Windows XP and format and install that. With that 450 Mhz
> processor, it won't be a speed demon, but it will work.
>
> Then, do something about your system security. I use Zone Alarm for my
> firewall, a free version is available. I also use the free version of AVG
> Anti-Virus. Also free of charge, and highly respected, is Spybot Search
> and Destroy and AdAware SE. Use them and some common sense and your
> systems will be malware free.
>
> "Corey" <corey@myhouse.com> wrote in message
>>I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
>>had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
>>Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.
>>
>> Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
>> I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready
>> to format the HD and reinstall the O/S.
>>
>> I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
>> understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would
>> have received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the
>> machines).
>>
>> The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
>> have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
>> that.
>>
>> Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?
>>
>> Thanks

Deleted member 3023

Also, I'm wanting to wipe the HD clean as I think I have too many spyware
and adware programs that I can't get clean. I'd rather just start over
fresh.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:03:35 GMT, "Corey" <corey@myhouse.com> wrote:

>Also, I'm wanting to wipe the HD clean as I think I have too many spyware
>and adware programs that I can't get clean. I'd rather just start over
>fresh.

Hello there Corey! You don't need to wipe the HD clean because
of spyware. As the other gentleman suggested, download SpyBot (
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html ), and run it. Then
download AdAware at
and run that. Now, if you don't mind spending a few dollars, the best
of the spyware removal products is CounterSpy at
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ and it costs $20. Run this
software, and you should be okay. Keep in mind that no one spyware
removal software will get all of the spyware that's out there,
although CounterSpy comes pretty close. By running all three
programs, you should be able to rid your computer of just about all
spyware. Of course, you need to run this software on a regular basis
to prevent any new infections of spyware.
A friend of mine was having spyware problems, so I went to his
house to help him. I wanted to download and run the above programs,
but his computer was so badly infected with spyware, browser
hijackers, and viruses, that I wasn't able to access the sites to
download the spyware remover software. Fortunately, I had my
thumbdrive with me that had a free version of the Opera browser on it,
so I installed that and used that to take me to the above websites.
After downloading the software and running it, I removed over 750
spyware programs.
Next I ran out and picked up a copy of Norton Antivirus software,
installed that and ran it. That removed at least 15 viruses and
Trojans. Once I did all that, his computer was up and running as it
should be. Don't feel like you need to wipe your HD clean because of
spyware, just get the above software and you should be okay.

Needy