XP Home or Win 2000?

I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.

Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready to
format the HD and reinstall the O/S.

I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would have
received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the machines).

The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
that.

Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about home 2000

    You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
    Home Edition and perform a "clean install".

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Corey" wrote:

    | I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
    | had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
    | Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.
    |
    | Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
    | I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready to
    | format the HD and reinstall the O/S.
    |
    | I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
    | understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would have
    | received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the machines).
    |
    | The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
    | have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
    | that.
    |
    | Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?
    |
    | Thanks

    You have three options as I see it. First, have the IT guy come up with
    that Windows 2000 disk and format and install that. Second, if you can't
    get the IT guy to help, and you have your original Windows 98 disk, format
    and install that. Third, if you can't work with number one or two, go buy a
    copy of Windows XP and format and install that. With that 450 Mhz
    processor, it won't be a speed demon, but it will work.

    Then, do something about your system security. I use Zone Alarm for my
    firewall, a free version is available. I also use the free version of AVG
    Anti-Virus. Also free of charge, and highly respected, is Spybot Search and
    Destroy and AdAware SE. Use them and some common sense and your systems
    will be malware free.

    "Corey" <corey@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    >I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
    >had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
    >Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.
    >
    > Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
    > I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready
    > to format the HD and reinstall the O/S.
    >
    > I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
    > understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would have
    > received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the machines).
    >
    > The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
    > have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
    > that.
    >
    > Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?
    >
    > Thanks

    This is an older Dell (maybe 5 year old machine) with Windows2000 as the
    O/S. Can I upgrade Win2K to XP? I thought when I looked at the O/S's that
    could upgrade to XP, 2000 wasn't listed.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You have three options as I see it. First, have the IT guy come up with
    > that Windows 2000 disk and format and install that. Second, if you can't
    > get the IT guy to help, and you have your original Windows 98 disk, format
    > and install that. Third, if you can't work with number one or two, go buy
    > a copy of Windows XP and format and install that. With that 450 Mhz
    > processor, it won't be a speed demon, but it will work.
    >
    > Then, do something about your system security. I use Zone Alarm for my
    > firewall, a free version is available. I also use the free version of AVG
    > Anti-Virus. Also free of charge, and highly respected, is Spybot Search
    > and Destroy and AdAware SE. Use them and some common sense and your
    > systems will be malware free.
    >
    > "Corey" <corey@myhouse.com> wrote in message
    >>I have an older PC (450 mhz, 512MB RAM, lots of HD space) that originally
    >>had Win98 installed as the O/S. An IT guy from work upgraded the O/S to
    >>Win2000 a few years back, and everything had been fine.
    >>
    >> Now the machine seems to have been taken over with spy and adware galore.
    >> I've tried a number of programs to clean it up to no avail. So I'm ready
    >> to format the HD and reinstall the O/S.
    >>
    >> I have two other machines (desktop and laptop) with XP home. If I
    >> understand XP correctly I can't install from any system discs I would
    >> have received with these system purchases (XP came loaded on the
    >> machines).
    >>
    >> The oldest PC that I'm looking to reinstall has the Win2000, but I don't
    >> have the installation disc. So I can't resinstall/install Win 2000 from
    >> that.
    >>
    >> Any advice on which O/S to install and how to go about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Also, I'm wanting to wipe the HD clean as I think I have too many spyware
    and adware programs that I can't get clean. I'd rather just start over
    fresh.

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 03:03:35 GMT, "Corey" <corey@myhouse.com> wrote:

    >Also, I'm wanting to wipe the HD clean as I think I have too many spyware
    >and adware programs that I can't get clean. I'd rather just start over
    >fresh.

    Hello there Corey! You don't need to wipe the HD clean because
    of spyware. As the other gentleman suggested, download SpyBot (
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html ), and run it. Then
    download AdAware at
    and run that. Now, if you don't mind spending a few dollars, the best
    of the spyware removal products is CounterSpy at
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ and it costs $20. Run this
    software, and you should be okay. Keep in mind that no one spyware
    removal software will get all of the spyware that's out there,
    although CounterSpy comes pretty close. By running all three
    programs, you should be able to rid your computer of just about all
    spyware. Of course, you need to run this software on a regular basis
    to prevent any new infections of spyware.
    A friend of mine was having spyware problems, so I went to his
    house to help him. I wanted to download and run the above programs,
    but his computer was so badly infected with spyware, browser
    hijackers, and viruses, that I wasn't able to access the sites to
    download the spyware remover software. Fortunately, I had my
    thumbdrive with me that had a free version of the Opera browser on it,
    so I installed that and used that to take me to the above websites.
    After downloading the software and running it, I removed over 750
    spyware programs.
    Next I ran out and picked up a copy of Norton Antivirus software,
    installed that and ran it. That removed at least 15 viruses and
    Trojans. Once I did all that, his computer was up and running as it
    should be. Don't feel like you need to wipe your HD clean because of
    spyware, just get the above software and you should be okay.

    Needy

Windows XP