Zero Configuration Help

Hiya,

Running XP, have Zero Configuration on, my wireless router as my only
preferred network, and under wireless networks->advanced, have
"connect to non-preferred networks" off.

Still, the blurb keeps popping up that other networks are available,
and I may lose connection, even though my router signal is
"excellent". What's the deal?

Any other tips to configure so my machine only looks for my router?
Turning off ZC results in not being able to connect at times as well.
What is a reliable solution here?

Thanks!

oj

uncheck enable ieee802.1 authentication

OJ wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> Running XP, have Zero Configuration on, my wireless router as my only
> preferred network, and under wireless networks->advanced, have
> "connect to non-preferred networks" off.
>
> Still, the blurb keeps popping up that other networks are available,
> and I may lose connection, even though my router signal is
> "excellent". What's the deal?
>
> Any other tips to configure so my machine only looks for my router?
> Turning off ZC results in not being able to connect at times as well.
> What is a reliable solution here?
>
> Thanks!
>
> oj

Broadcast SSID, make certain that no other network is present in
Preferred networks, and uncheck the Automatically connect to
non-preferred networks, which you have already done.

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<N9SdnbphM4kFPwrdRVn-jA@comcast.com>...
> OJ wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > Running XP, have Zero Configuration on, my wireless router as my only
> > preferred network, and under wireless networks->advanced, have
> > "connect to non-preferred networks" off.
> >
> > Still, the blurb keeps popping up that other networks are available,
> > and I may lose connection, even though my router signal is
> > "excellent". What's the deal?
> >
> > Any other tips to configure so my machine only looks for my router?
> > Turning off ZC results in not being able to connect at times as well.
> > What is a reliable solution here?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > oj
>
> Broadcast SSID, make certain that no other network is present in
> Preferred networks, and uncheck the Automatically connect to
> non-preferred networks, which you have already done.

Hi,

Ummm, right. That's all what I'm doing. Anything else?

What about those 3 options regarding access points?

"Any available network" "Access Point" "Ad-hoc" - I assume I stay with
any available...or possibly access point, although that doesn't sound
like it would stop me from seeing other networks...

oj

"Hard Plop" <stork@nospam_that is really my domain.com> wrote in message news:<WtadnXCKHK1ACwrd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> uncheck enable ieee802.1 authentication

Hi,

Where?

oj

OJ wrote:
>> OJ wrote:
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> Running XP, have Zero Configuration on, my wireless router as my
>>> only preferred network, and under wireless networks->advanced, have
>>> "connect to non-preferred networks" off.
>>>
>>> Still, the blurb keeps popping up that other networks are available,
>>> and I may lose connection, even though my router signal is
>>> "excellent". What's the deal?
>>>
>>> Any other tips to configure so my machine only looks for my router?
>>> Turning off ZC results in not being able to connect at times as
>>> well. What is a reliable solution here?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> oj
>>
>> Broadcast SSID, make certain that no other network is present in
>> Preferred networks, and uncheck the Automatically connect to
>> non-preferred networks, which you have already done.

> Hi,
>
> Ummm, right. That's all what I'm doing. Anything else?
>
> What about those 3 options regarding access points?
>
> "Any available network" "Access Point" "Ad-hoc" - I assume I stay with
> any available...or possibly access point, although that doesn't sound
> like it would stop me from seeing other networks...
>
> oj

Access Point. Any Available will do just that, connect to what each
computer thinks is the best signal. Ad-hoc is computer to computer.

First of all xp zero config is a horrible program. You also need to
turn off a setting about periodically scann for a better access point.
This is probably what is happening. Every 30 seconds, five minutes
whatever it will disconnect and search for a better access point.