double click on a folder and search opens

When I try to open a file by double clicking,Windows XP opens the search
window. Any clues on how to fix the problem? I even tried to roll back to a
previous date when the problem wasn't there.
2 answers Last reply
More about double click folder search opens

    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "the_eagle_eyes" wrote:

    | When I try to open a file by double clicking,Windows XP opens the search
    | window. Any clues on how to fix the problem? I even tried to roll back to a
    | previous date when the problem wasn't there.

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "the_eagle_eyes" <the_eagle_eyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to open a file by double clicking,Windows XP opens the search
    > window. Any clues on how to fix the problem? I even tried to roll back
    > to a
    > previous date when the problem wasn't there.

Microsoft Windows XP