I don't get the usual window pop up

When I insert a cd into my CD Drive it used to bring up a window with several
options. That no longer happens. Also, and this started at about the same
time, it takes forever for a 'right click' menu to come up and it takes
double forever for a software application to open when you click on an
associated file.
i.e. I can open Word and then open a file in a matter of seconds (my PC has
1gb of ram and a 2ghzP4 proc.)But if I go directly to that file and click on
it . . . I can go get lunch before it opens in Word. ( if Word wasn't open to
begin with.)
I did a 'Repair Install' of WinXP which actually helped forlabout a day.
Then it went right back. Any clues?

Cut and paste everything between the lines into notepad and save it as
cdfix.reg make sure you change the save as drop down box to all files. Once
it is saved then double click on the saved file to merge it into the
registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom]
"AutoRun"=dword:0000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"allocatecdroms"="0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

"torne" <torne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I insert a cd into my CD Drive it used to bring up a window with
> several
> options. That no longer happens. Also, and this started at about the same
> time, it takes forever for a 'right click' menu to come up and it takes
> double forever for a software application to open when you click on an
> associated file.
> i.e. I can open Word and then open a file in a matter of seconds (my PC
> has
> 1gb of ram and a 2ghzP4 proc.)But if I go directly to that file and click
> on
> it . . . I can go get lunch before it opens in Word. ( if Word wasn't open
> begin with.)
> I did a 'Repair Install' of WinXP which actually helped forlabout a day.
> Then it went right back. Any clues?

For Problem 1:

Autoplay Repair Wizard:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

The AutoRun feature or the AutoPlay feature does not work when you insert a
CD-ROM in the drive:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314855

Problem 2:

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

Right click crashes Explorer.exe after installing Windows XP SP2?:
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org