Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Linksys BEFW11S4 logging question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2004 2:30:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Does the BEFW11S4 send it's logigng packets out only via the ethernet
ports on the unit, or over the wireless as well?
May 4, 2004 3:17:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

My experience is that it logs both wireless and wired traffic - but
you will only see the Internet traffic that passes through the wired
broadband port.

So you will not see any traffic logged that is going between ports.

Note. There was a version of the firmware that broke the logging about
a year ago. Linksys has corrected this in a subsequent firmware
release.


Chris

Chris Smolinski <cps@blackcatsystems.com> wrote in message news:<cps-6BA5E6.10302104052004@news.newsguy.com>...
> Does the BEFW11S4 send it's logigng packets out only via the ethernet
> ports on the unit, or over the wireless as well?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2004 8:38:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <cps-6BA5E6.10302104052004@news.newsguy.com>,
Chris Smolinski <cps@blackcatsystems.com> wrote:
:D oes the BEFW11S4 send it's logigng packets out only via the ethernet
:p orts on the unit, or over the wireless as well?

As I recall, you have to specify a particular host IP for the logging.
The BEFW11S4 is going to ARP for that IP over the LAN and wireless,
figure out which interface is appropriate, and only send to that
interface.

But I've never tested this, as you need a special Windows or Linux
application to receive the log messages, and I don't run either OS.
Though perhaps by now they allow plain syslog on the newer versions;
mine is a v2 and I haven't looked at the v3/v4 docs.
--
Feep if you love VT-52's.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2004 10:04:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <cf84a22f.0405041017.4bd5a82b@posting.google.com>,
cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com (Chris) wrote:

> My experience is that it logs both wireless and wired traffic - but
> you will only see the Internet traffic that passes through the wired
> broadband port.
>
> So you will not see any traffic logged that is going between ports.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, my question was whether or not
the logging packets it transmits go out over both the physical and
wireless ports, or just the physical. I don't seem to see them over the
wireless.

> Note. There was a version of the firmware that broke the logging about
> a year ago. Linksys has corrected this in a subsequent firmware
> release.

Yeah, version 1.45.3, which is what my router came with, I lost quite a
few hours before I figured that one out :-(
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2004 10:09:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <c78gtf$79l$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

> In article <cps-6BA5E6.10302104052004@news.newsguy.com>,
> Chris Smolinski <cps@blackcatsystems.com> wrote:
> :D oes the BEFW11S4 send it's logigng packets out only via the ethernet
> :p orts on the unit, or over the wireless as well?
>
> As I recall, you have to specify a particular host IP for the logging.
> The BEFW11S4 is going to ARP for that IP over the LAN and wireless,
> figure out which interface is appropriate, and only send to that
> interface.

I seem to be able to set it to xxx.xxx.xxx.255 and it sends out a
broadcast. But I don't seem to be able to get it to send out over the
wireless, even if I specify the exact IP address of a wireless computer.

> But I've never tested this, as you need a special Windows or Linux
> application to receive the log messages, and I don't run either OS.
> Though perhaps by now they allow plain syslog on the newer versions;
> mine is a v2 and I haven't looked at the v3/v4 docs.

I don't run either OS either, I run Mac OS X ;-) I've written my own app
to display the messages, it's pretty crude as it's only a few hours old
at this point, but it's already interesting to see all the attempted
connections and such.

You can view the logs via the web setup interface as well in V4. I had
to upgrade from 1.45.3 to 1.50.10 as the version that came with my
router wouldn't send out the logging packets. Very frustrating...
!