Sign in with
Your question
Closed

See the Laptop With Two Full-sized Screens

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
August 28, 2009 6:41:29 PM

You would have to buy two business class airplane ticket so you could use your laptop. I don't think at 12 pounds it will sell well.
Score
August 28, 2009 6:41:49 PM

Om nom nom nom battery
Score
Related resources
August 28, 2009 6:44:15 PM

For videoediting purposes this thing could probably change the way most people think about on site editing. If the resolution is good enough (atleast 1680x1050) I'd say this computer could make way for a small revolution in post production.
Score
August 28, 2009 6:52:57 PM

n i c h e
Score
August 28, 2009 6:54:16 PM

That would be awesome with Ubuntu running multi-head but I would like a pair of 17in screens. Battery charge won't last long with both screens running but it probably only activates one screen if you don't slide them both out. I could live with lower battery duration since it's more of a portable workstation than a laptop.
Score
August 28, 2009 6:54:20 PM

Does anyone know if you will be able to only use one of the screens if your crunched for space?
Score
August 28, 2009 6:54:26 PM

I don't think they understand the main purpose of laptop: compact, portable and lightweight.
Score
August 28, 2009 6:56:42 PM

2 monitors is always a good thing for programmers
Score
August 28, 2009 6:57:45 PM

I'm a draftsman and having dual screen functionality on the building site or even during a client meeting somewhere else than the shop would be fantastic. Even if I had to be plugged in every time I used it, I would gladly shell out the extra cost!
Score
August 28, 2009 7:03:27 PM

I bet the battery will only last less then a minute.
Score
August 28, 2009 7:06:15 PM

I could actually see myself using this. I'm an electrical engineer that travel all over the country and although I average upwards of 50-70 trips a year, I most often find myself taking my laptop out and parking it in a cube or on my desk at the hotel. When I'm plugging into an industrial network there are always outlets around so power isn't a problem and since I have a roller bag to house all of my tools as well as my laptop the weight doesn't matter.

It would rock to be able to put my PLC code up on one screen and my HMI code on the other. Its amazing how much faster I can work at home with two screens that way.
Score
August 28, 2009 7:14:30 PM

I'd say there are a good many professionals (engineers, drafters, video editors, etc...) out there that would find this very useful. As far as the average user goes it is definitely overkill. Personally I'd love one though.

Any idea on the price of this monster?
Score
August 28, 2009 7:20:26 PM

3ddraftI'm a draftsman and having dual screen functionality on the building site or even during a client meeting somewhere else than the shop would be fantastic. Even if I had to be plugged in every time I used it, I would gladly shell out the extra cost!

You said it! But still it would not be able to replace my current setup with 5 (2x24" wide + 2x17" standard + 1X15" standard)
Score
August 28, 2009 7:21:45 PM

ssalimI don't think they understand the main purpose of laptop: compact, portable and lightweight.

Some people want portable workstations; not necessarily laptops!
Score
August 28, 2009 7:51:09 PM

Looks awesome! This would have been nice back in school. I hated using my laptop and the lab workstations compared to my rig in my dorm mostly because of the duel screens.
Score
August 28, 2009 7:52:53 PM

Not trying to bash on ASUS, but I think this is much more practical than ASUS's dual-screen concept because it retains the tactile keyboard and both screens can be used as monitors while working.

I hope they don't come up with a 19"/20" model weighing like 20 lbs.
Score
August 28, 2009 8:01:41 PM

Well, I am a student and I cannot do without 2 monitors. Having my reading on one screen and my notes/paper on another is extremely helpful. I needed a laptop, this would be nice. However, I shudder to think of the cost.
Score
August 28, 2009 8:02:13 PM

This is overly excessive. So naturally I want one!

One thing that is missing is a slide out keyboard. I mean it's not like you're taking up extra space
Score
August 28, 2009 8:32:06 PM

I want my laptop to be portable, not to replace my desktop. That's cool, but I wouldn't buy one.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2009 8:52:43 PM

Give Me One!

I want one in a 17" or larger model and I don't care if I have to plug it in or not. I'd haul a car battery around if I had to just for the WoW factor.

Remember years ago with the Boom Boxes on our shoulders, now those were the days. Although I really don't miss the 8-track tapes as they were bulky and used to get eaten a lot. :D 
Score
August 28, 2009 8:59:05 PM

They should be angled towards the user a bit.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2009 9:03:58 PM

This can be a double edge sword. It can increase the productivity for programmers or engineers. Or decrease it for the rest of us - watching a movie on one screen and working on another at the same time....
Score
August 28, 2009 9:08:18 PM

and you're supposed to use a touchpad? blarg
Score
August 28, 2009 9:08:29 PM

leo2kpn i c h e

Very much so, would be great for my mobile recording sessions.
Score
August 28, 2009 9:10:14 PM

tipooThey should be angled towards the user a bit.

A damn fine point if I do say so...
Score
August 28, 2009 9:10:37 PM

restmansThis can be a double edge sword. It can increase the productivity for programmers or engineers. Or decrease it for the rest of us - watching a movie on one screen and working on another at the same time....

Exactly how work is meant to be done :) 
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2009 9:29:37 PM

gimme one of these ;] Photo editing, recording, browsing and programming. Did I mention homework? MAn, I'd take one now!
Score
August 28, 2009 9:31:03 PM

i never used 2 monnitors huh must be pretty cool.
Score
August 28, 2009 9:55:24 PM

w4fflesI hope they don't come up with a 19"/20" model weighing like 20 lbs.

I hope they DO!! It wouldn't be treated as a laptop, unless your one hulking dude, but call it a portable desktop and it'd be amazing. Just throw it in the backseat of your car, go to a coffee shop or park, and frighten old ladies with all your fancy technology!
Score
August 28, 2009 9:58:04 PM

maigoand you're supposed to use a touchpad? blarg

Most people who buy this laptop are most likely going to be using it as a portable workstation and sitting at a desk, so using a USB mouse wouldn't be a problem.
Score
August 28, 2009 9:58:12 PM

I leave all the video editing and dual monitor goodness to my desktop. Laptops are just for simple school work and internet browsing, so no need for two displays.
Score
August 28, 2009 10:15:28 PM

Sure i'll buy it if it's under 700 dollars.
Score
August 28, 2009 10:27:26 PM

Nice set up for a programmer, CAD user or graphics editor/designer.
Score
August 28, 2009 10:39:57 PM

I could totally use this as a portabe video editing workhorse. Its got some power in it and dual screens makes a world of difference when using CS4, if i was in need of a more portable solution than this would be it.
Score
August 29, 2009 12:05:17 AM

Toms should have one for a contest. I would sign up for it.
Score
August 29, 2009 12:08:29 AM

Thats an awesome Idea , but it would kill battery life and only be useful if you just need to move it from one outlet to another.
Score
August 29, 2009 1:30:13 AM

Batterry issues...
Score
August 29, 2009 4:18:54 AM

9-cell battery fail.
Score
August 29, 2009 4:27:06 AM

Any idea why a set of wires are just hangin' out? And add an addition pound for the ac power brick to come to a total of 13 lbs of semi-portable workstation. With all the tech toys in the world, would this hit close to the top of the list, for me nope. Give me a i7 rig strapped to a personal assistant's back, blackberry meet your worst enemy, lol. Of course this is only a dream, but a man can dream can't he?
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2009 5:46:21 AM

Unless you need all the extra monitor space that this offers, many people who are saying "oh i need two screens, one for each program window" can simply use a widescreen laptop (which is about 99% of them now) with windows 7 (RC now and/or retail version on oct 22). Drag a window to your left side and it sets it up on the first half. Drag a window to your right side and it sets it up on your second half of the screen. Simple, elegant and doesn't require a 13 lb laptop.

I find very little use for additional monitors. The only two things I could see it actually needed for is if you needed a place where you had one monitor for one person to see (you) and one for another person to see (your client) from different positions, or for programs that are best used in full screen mode such as games running while running other things.
Score
August 29, 2009 6:05:08 AM

they need to step their game up and make a laptop with dual 30 inch displays :) 
Score
August 29, 2009 6:09:36 AM

Sphyre_sanUnless you need all the extra monitor space that this offers, many people who are saying "oh i need two screens, one for each program window" can simply use a widescreen laptop (which is about 99% of them now) with windows 7 (RC now and/or retail version on oct 22). Drag a window to your left side and it sets it up on the first half. Drag a window to your right side and it sets it up on your second half of the screen. Simple, elegant and doesn't require a 13 lb laptop.I find very little use for additional monitors. The only two things I could see it actually needed for is if you needed a place where you had one monitor for one person to see (you) and one for another person to see (your client) from different positions, or for programs that are best used in full screen mode such as games running while running other things.

the extra wires hanging out are to handle the power. this method is used by many companies including Americas power grid, the main power lines cant handle the load if only 2 wires were used, they would get hot and melt from the power draw, so they use multiple wired to help spread the load.

they are doing the same for the laptop to keep the wires from melting
Score
August 29, 2009 7:45:20 AM

gwolfmanSome people want portable workstations; not necessarily laptops!

Right.
I want one with two 1900x1200 17" WUXGA screens, 2x 4870m 1gb (or 5xxx for the upcoming DX11 GPUs), C2Q (or Core i7/i5 mobile version when released), 1TB 2.5" HDD (think I've heard of them here on toms) and a 2.5" 256GB SDD, 8GB DDR2 1066MHz (or DDR3 for a possible core i7/i5).
I know the thing would weigh more than my current desktop (about 30 pounds), but as far as a portable workstation or extreme portable gamer, it would be 'the best'(through all I'm concerned).
It would also cost more than my house...
Score
August 29, 2009 8:03:27 AM

they can make a good commercial for this,

imagine this, the commercial starts off with a scene of a man walking into starbucks with the laptop and plugs it in (it is night time)

the dual display turns heads and gets attention, and showing off, the man tells everyone "watch this". He powers on the laptop and all of the lights in the starbucks dims and a street light outside of the building also dims. as the laptop loads windows vista.

Scene 2, the camera cuts away to a power station and warning alarms going off. dramatic music begins to play as all of the workers desperately run to the control room. Everyone scrambles to bring backup generators on line and redistribute power in the grid.

Scene 3, the camera cuts back to starbucks, one person in the crowd says "whoa... what happens if you try to play crysis"

Scene 4, the camera zooms out showing a view of earth from space and all of the lights across America going out. (during this scene the song "one" by Apocalyptica slowly fades in and the commercial ends

Score
August 30, 2009 2:36:13 PM

that picture just looks like a poor photoshopping job.
Score
August 30, 2009 7:47:18 PM

@Sphyre_san: Try editing multiple images under CS4 all at once.
Score
August 31, 2009 2:00:47 AM

I have to say that although its tempting the spec sheet is a little underwhelming... maybe if they found a better video option then the 9800m... i had a 9800gtx (i think) on my old rig from a year or two ago. why didn't they place the 280m??? any way... two displays are nice but for anything 3D intensive the 9800 is long in the tooth.
Score
August 31, 2009 11:36:42 AM

I can't figure out a use for this. I have two monitors on my desk. One of them is the 15.6" screen on my laptop, and one is ... a 19" monitor. If you need two (or three) screens, you can link multiple laptops with Synergy. For less money. When they can bring this in for under $1000, I'll take another look.
Score
August 31, 2009 3:04:23 PM

I dreamed about this idea a long time ago, shame on you for stealing my idea!
Score
!