2 "open" in the context menu, no "open with"

I am on xp sp1.

So when I right click, I get something like this:
Play
Open
Open
etc. . .
The first open works as it should.

The second open used to give me an error, I fixed that by adding a registry
at HKCR\*, I had to add the Shell entry there, none previously existed, and
then added openas, then command and the default key which I have set to
"rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1"

The second open takes a while to load (5-10 seconds) and then an "Open With"
window appears, but it is the wrong one. It lists the "Recommended Programs"
and "Other Programs". I would like the one that when you go over "open with"
a list of programs pop up w/o going to this other window.

I also downloaded ShellExView, and just to see disabled all of the shell
menus, and nothing changed, it worked as it did above.

Thanks

ShellExView deals only with shell extensions, so that does not help in this
case.

For which filetype this problem is seen?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am on xp sp1.
>
> So when I right click, I get something like this:
> Play
> Open
> Open
> etc. . .
> The first open works as it should.
>
> The second open used to give me an error, I fixed that by adding a
> registry
> at HKCR\*, I had to add the Shell entry there, none previously existed,
> and
> then added openas, then command and the default key which I have set to
> "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1"
>
> The second open takes a while to load (5-10 seconds) and then an "Open
> With"
> window appears, but it is the wrong one. It lists the "Recommended
> Programs"
> and "Other Programs". I would like the one that when you go over "open
> with"
> a list of programs pop up w/o going to this other window.
>
> I also downloaded ShellExView, and just to see disabled all of the shell
> menus, and nothing changed, it worked as it did above.
>
> Thanks

All that I have been able to test, including audio, video, .doc, .xls,
shortcuts, compression, executables, etc.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> ShellExView deals only with shell extensions, so that does not help in this
> case.
>
> For which filetype this problem is seen?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am on xp sp1.
> >
> > So when I right click, I get something like this:
> > Play
> > Open
> > Open
> > etc. . .
> > The first open works as it should.
> >
> > The second open used to give me an error, I fixed that by adding a
> > registry
> > at HKCR\*, I had to add the Shell entry there, none previously existed,
> > and
> > then added openas, then command and the default key which I have set to
> > "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1"
> >
> > The second open takes a while to load (5-10 seconds) and then an "Open
> > With"
> > window appears, but it is the wrong one. It lists the "Recommended
> > Programs"
> > and "Other Programs". I would like the one that when you go over "open
> > with"
> > a list of programs pop up w/o going to this other window.
> >
> > I also downloaded ShellExView, and just to see disabled all of the shell
> > menus, and nothing changed, it worked as it did above.
> >
> > Thanks

The 2nd "open" might be the "openas" command that you added. Try removing
the openas from here:

HKCR\*\openas

--

> All that I have been able to test, including audio, video, .doc, .xls,
> shortcuts, compression, executables, etc.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> ShellExView deals only with shell extensions, so that does not help in
>> this
>> case.
>>
>> For which filetype this problem is seen?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am on xp sp1.
>> >
>> > So when I right click, I get something like this:
>> > Play
>> > Open
>> > Open
>> > etc. . .
>> > The first open works as it should.
>> >
>> > The second open used to give me an error, I fixed that by adding a
>> > registry
>> > at HKCR\*, I had to add the Shell entry there, none previously existed,
>> > and
>> > then added openas, then command and the default key which I have set to
>> > "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1"
>> >
>> > The second open takes a while to load (5-10 seconds) and then an "Open
>> > With"
>> > window appears, but it is the wrong one. It lists the "Recommended
>> > Programs"
>> > and "Other Programs". I would like the one that when you go over "open
>> > with"
>> > a list of programs pop up w/o going to this other window.
>> >
>> > I also downloaded ShellExView, and just to see disabled all of the
>> > shell
>> > menus, and nothing changed, it worked as it did above.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Yes that removes the open, but I still have no "open with" just a singe open.
How can I add the "open with"

Thanks for the help by the way.

HKCR\*\openas
Set the (default) to "Open with.."

--

> Yes that removes the open, but I still have no "open with" just a singe
> open.
> How can I add the "open with"
>
> Thanks for the help by the way.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> The 2nd "open" might be the "openas" command that you added. Try removing
>> the openas from here:
>>
>> HKCR\*\openas
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > All that I have been able to test, including audio, video, .doc, .xls,
>> > shortcuts, compression, executables, etc.

That did not do anything, unless I did it incorectly. What I did was that I
created the directory so it is as you wrote "HKCR\*\openas" and now "openas"
is highlighted in the left hand side. I then went over to the right hand
side (while openas was highlighted in the left side) and modifed the default
key to have data of "Open with..", did I miss something?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> HKCR\*\openas
> Set the (default) to "Open with.."
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes that removes the open, but I still have no "open with" just a singe
> > open.
> > How can I add the "open with"
> >
> > Thanks for the help by the way.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> The 2nd "open" might be the "openas" command that you added. Try removing
> >> the openas from here:
> >>
> >> HKCR\*\openas
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Works fine here. (The 2nd "Open" verb now reads as "Open with..." when I
right-click a file)