XP Home & XP Pro on the same Laptop

Hi Guys,

This is probably a fairly straight forward answer to this and I have
searched the forum but can't find someone with exactly the same problem
so I thought the best thing to do was post a new thread.

My brother has a dell laptop which came pre installed with windows XP
Home edition when he brought it. Some time ago he had some problems
with it and because he could not find his recovery CD at the time
someone gave him a different copy of windows XP Pro which he tried to
load because the serial number that he was given was incorrect it did
not complete the installation.

After speaking to Dell they sent him out the restore CD which loaded
the XP Home Edition on which works fine but on boot up it give you the
option of booting into either.

What is the best was to remove the uncompleted installation of windows
XP pro? I don't really want to chance going into it and getting stuck
in a loop at the serial number stage which is what happened before. Is
there a way of finding of the default location that it install XP Pro
to and deleting the directory.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Tom

--
Mirrorman

Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
to delete incorrect boot paths.

If the above does not work for you, then:

Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:

Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file.
Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP