Sacrifice and 3D Max

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's been a while since I've upgraded (voodoo3 3000 agp)

I want a video card for awesome graphics for games on my 19 and 20 inch monitors, and I need something that is going to be fast rendering 3D Max and Bryce.

I keep reading about the GE Force II, but that seems to just be the chipset, with a lot of different vendors like creative and asus. What's the difference between all the different types (pro, ultra etc...), and the different vendors? Is this the right type of card to choose from?

Right now, my voodoo3 can't run Sacrifice for example, and that's when I know it's time to upgrade. 3D max takes days to render.

G

Errr correct me if I'm wrong but the graphics card has very little if not nothing to do with the rendering of a scene, it is all done in the main CPU & memory. The graphics card would affect how smooth real-time handling of rendered objects would be. By that I mean in your program (I use Lightwave 6), you have your orthgraphic views, then your perspective/3D view is rendered in opengl or suchlike. This can be rotated whilst semi-rendered.

Sorry, rambled on a bit there, I am looking into a new system at the moment, and possibly going to go for the Matrox G450 for the superb 2D display, and the dualhead, although the geforce 2MX twinview is also in the picture (excuse the pun!).

If your scene takes days to render, thenyou should upgrade your machine (CPU & memory) or get another machine and net them.

Chris