Display Properties

July 12, 2005 3:55:04 AM

Hi there.
I have a problem with the display properties on my computer. Something wrong
happened with my desktop, so many icons were installed without my consent and
a friend of mine recommended me to install an AntiSpyware. I did it that way
and the icons were gone and the system was cleaned from too many viruses, I
guess so. But there's a problem left. When I right click on my desktop to see
the display properties, just two tabs are on that window: the screen saver
and the settings tabs are there. The others have gone: wall paper and themes
if I can remember. What can I do to have the display properties the way it
was originally? I'd like to change the themes and the wallpapers on my
desktop, and now it is impossible to do. Everything happened since that day
my computer was infected. Somebody help mw please.
I will appreciate your help.
--
George Gonzalez

More about : display properties

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:38:30 PM

Read the instructions at the top
285. Right hand side
Restore All Display Tabs

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3EFF012D-B492-486F-A557-A514F2A1B400@microsoft.com,
George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi there.
> I have a problem with the display properties on my computer. Something
> wrong happened with my desktop, so many icons were installed without my
> consent and a friend of mine recommended me to install an AntiSpyware. I
> did it that way and the icons were gone and the system was cleaned from
> too many viruses, I guess so. But there's a problem left. When I right
> click on my desktop to see the display properties, just two tabs are on
> that window: the screen saver and the settings tabs are there. The others
> have gone: wall paper and themes if I can remember. What can I do to have
> the display properties the way it was originally? I'd like to change the
> themes and the wallpapers on my desktop, and now it is impossible to do.
> Everything happened since that day my computer was infected. Somebody
> help mw please.
> I will appreciate your help.
> --
> George Gonzalez
July 12, 2005 8:12:07 PM

Thank you very much Wesley Vogel. It worked. You are such an expert.
But there's just a little problem left. When I right click to see the
properties the Desktop tab you know, has all the wallpapers that you want to
be displayed on the desktop. The problem is that no wallpaper can be selected
from the list. I already changed the theme, that's what I wanted, but when I
did it, everything changed (even the screensaver) but the wallpaper. It seems
it is locked or unavailable. I can see the list but no selection can be made.
Could you help me out with this please?
Thank you very much and have a great day.
--
George Gonzalez

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Read the instructions at the top
> 285. Right hand side
> Restore All Display Tabs
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3EFF012D-B492-486F-A557-A514F2A1B400@microsoft.com,
> George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi there.
> > I have a problem with the display properties on my computer. Something
> > wrong happened with my desktop, so many icons were installed without my
> > consent and a friend of mine recommended me to install an AntiSpyware. I
> > did it that way and the icons were gone and the system was cleaned from
> > too many viruses, I guess so. But there's a problem left. When I right
> > click on my desktop to see the display properties, just two tabs are on
> > that window: the screen saver and the settings tabs are there. The others
> > have gone: wall paper and themes if I can remember. What can I do to have
> > the display properties the way it was originally? I'd like to change the
> > themes and the wallpapers on my desktop, and now it is impossible to do.
> > Everything happened since that day my computer was infected. Somebody
> > help mw please.
> > I will appreciate your help.
> > --
> > George Gonzalez

July 12, 2005 10:57:30 PM

George,

See if this will help.

Read the instructions at the top
142. Right hand side
Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes

If you have XP Pro, see...

Prevent changing wallpaper
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=431

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:8CB691DD-4B79-40A0-8002-7B44EEC6C7B3@microsoft.com,
George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you very much Wesley Vogel. It worked. You are such an expert.
> But there's just a little problem left. When I right click to see the
> properties the Desktop tab you know, has all the wallpapers that you want
> to be displayed on the desktop. The problem is that no wallpaper can be
> selected from the list. I already changed the theme, that's what I
> wanted, but when I did it, everything changed (even the screensaver) but
> the wallpaper. It seems it is locked or unavailable. I can see the list
> but no selection can be made. Could you help me out with this please?
> Thank you very much and have a great day.
> --
> George Gonzalez
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

>> Read the instructions at the top
>> 285. Right hand side
>> Restore All Display Tabs
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:3EFF012D-B492-486F-A557-A514F2A1B400@microsoft.com,
>> George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi there.
>>> I have a problem with the display properties on my computer. Something
>>> wrong happened with my desktop, so many icons were installed without my
>>> consent and a friend of mine recommended me to install an AntiSpyware. I
>>> did it that way and the icons were gone and the system was cleaned from
>>> too many viruses, I guess so. But there's a problem left. When I right
>>> click on my desktop to see the display properties, just two tabs are on
>>> that window: the screen saver and the settings tabs are there. The
>>> others have gone: wall paper and themes if I can remember. What can I
>>> do to have the display properties the way it was originally? I'd like
>>> to change the themes and the wallpapers on my desktop, and now it is
>>> impossible to do. Everything happened since that day my computer was
>>> infected. Somebody help mw please.
>>> I will appreciate your help.
>>> --
>>> George Gonzalez
July 13, 2005 1:55:03 AM

Hi Wesley Vogel. Here I am again.
I'm sorry but I can't still choose a background (wallpaper), it is disabled.
I'd like to have my own pictures as backgrounds you know. I did what you
said, but nothing happened.
Well, I hope you can still help me. I really thank you for all the valuable
help I'm getting from you.
--
George Gonzalez

"George" wrote:

> Thank you very much Wesley Vogel. It worked. You are such an expert.
> But there's just a little problem left. When I right click to see the
> properties the Desktop tab you know, has all the wallpapers that you want to
> be displayed on the desktop. The problem is that no wallpaper can be selected
> from the list. I already changed the theme, that's what I wanted, but when I
> did it, everything changed (even the screensaver) but the wallpaper. It seems
> it is locked or unavailable. I can see the list but no selection can be made.
> Could you help me out with this please?
> Thank you very much and have a great day.
> --
> George Gonzalez
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >
> > Read the instructions at the top
> > 285. Right hand side
> > Restore All Display Tabs
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:3EFF012D-B492-486F-A557-A514F2A1B400@microsoft.com,
> > George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Hi there.
> > > I have a problem with the display properties on my computer. Something
> > > wrong happened with my desktop, so many icons were installed without my
> > > consent and a friend of mine recommended me to install an AntiSpyware. I
> > > did it that way and the icons were gone and the system was cleaned from
> > > too many viruses, I guess so. But there's a problem left. When I right
> > > click on my desktop to see the display properties, just two tabs are on
> > > that window: the screen saver and the settings tabs are there. The others
> > > have gone: wall paper and themes if I can remember. What can I do to have
> > > the display properties the way it was originally? I'd like to change the
> > > themes and the wallpapers on my desktop, and now it is impossible to do.
> > > Everything happened since that day my computer was infected. Somebody
> > > help mw please.
> > > I will appreciate your help.
> > > --
> > > George Gonzalez

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:14:30 PM

George,

The tweak from Kelly's should've fixed the problem.

Are you the only user on your machine?

On the Desktop tab of Display Properties is anything grayed out? Are the
Browse button or the Customize button grayed out?

Do you have XP Pro?

If yes, Open Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK |

Navigate to this in the left hand pane...
[+] User Configuration\[+] Administrative Templates\[+] Control Panel \
[+] Display

In the right hand pane...
Double click: Prevent changing wallpaper and set to: Not Configured.

Prevent changing wallpaper
If you enable this setting, the Desktop tab still appears, but all options
on the tab are disabled.
-----

If you have XP Home, Group Policy is not available.

Try this instead.

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |

In the left hand pane navigate to...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\ActiveDesktop

Is there an item under the Name column in the right hand pane called
NoChangingWallPaper?

If there is post back with what the Value is, either 0 or 1.

NoChangingWallPaper Value of 1
Disables all options on the Background tab of Display in Control Panel. As
a result, users cannot add or change the background design of the desktop.
The Background tab still appears, but all options on the tab are disabled.

NoChangingWallPaper Value of 0
Enables all options on the Background tab of Display in Control Panel.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E19DBCAA-AAEA-41B4-B047-AB08E41EF6C7@microsoft.com,
George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wesley Vogel. Here I am again.
> I'm sorry but I can't still choose a background (wallpaper), it is
> disabled. I'd like to have my own pictures as backgrounds you know. I did
> what you said, but nothing happened.
> Well, I hope you can still help me. I really thank you for all the
> valuable help I'm getting from you.
> --
> George Gonzalez
>

> "George" wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much Wesley Vogel. It worked. You are such an expert.
>> But there's just a little problem left. When I right click to see the
>> properties the Desktop tab you know, has all the wallpapers that you
>> want to be displayed on the desktop. The problem is that no wallpaper
>> can be selected from the list. I already changed the theme, that's what
>> I wanted, but when I did it, everything changed (even the screensaver)
>> but the wallpaper. It seems it is locked or unavailable. I can see the
>> list but no selection can be made. Could you help me out with this
>> please?
>> Thank you very much and have a great day.
>> --
>> George Gonzalez
>>

>> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>
>>> Read the instructions at the top
>>> 285. Right hand side
>>> Restore All Display Tabs
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:3EFF012D-B492-486F-A557-A514F2A1B400@microsoft.com,
>>> George <George@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
July 14, 2005 1:31:01 AM

Hi Wesley Vogel.
Answering your question if I'm the only user on this machine, yes I am. If I
can call myself the administrator, I am.
And yes, the browse button is grayed out, but not the customize one.
Yes, I have XP Pro.

I did what you say about the Group Policy, and the Prevent Changing
Wallpaper is set to Not Configured.

Then I tried to do the second option that you mention about the Registry
Editor, to see if something was wrong there, and the NoChangingWallPaper has
the Value of 0.

It seems everything is the way it has to be. So I really don't know what the
problem is.

Thanks Wes.
--
George Gonzalez

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> > Well, I hope you can still help me. I really thank you for all the
> > valuable help I'm getting from you.
> > --
> > George Gonzalez
> >

> > "George" wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you very much Wesley Vogel. It worked. You are such an expert.
> >> But there's just a little problem left. When I right click to see the
> >> properties the Desktop tab you know, has all the wallpapers that you
> >> want to be displayed on the desktop. The problem is that no wallpaper
> >> can be selected from the list. I already changed the theme, that's what
> >> I wanted, but when I did it, everything changed (even the screensaver)
> >> but the wallpaper. It seems it is locked or unavailable. I can see the
> >> list but no selection can be made. Could you help me out with this
> >> please?
> >> Thank you very much and have a great day.

July 14, 2005 6:25:11 AM

Hi Wes.

Let me tell you that I could solve the problem.
In the Group Policy, the Prevent Changing Wallpaper had to be set on
Disable. Why? I don't know, but I tried to do it that way and it worked. Now,
I can choose a wallpaper from the list, it is not disable anymore.
Actually, I could not do anything of this without your help. Thank you so
much. You were my saviour.

Have a great day and see ya.

George.
--