Administrator error when trying to save on D: disc drive

July 12, 2005 6:00:01 AM

I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and save
photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to contact
the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can save
onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc and
put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save for
my work,thanking u
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:52:59 PM

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBC0E104-82CE-4933-A646-322842476DBF@microsoft.com...
>I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and save
> photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to contact
> the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can save
> onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc and
> put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save for
> my work,thanking u
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:42:02 AM

mark it wont let me go past the properties cos its not a file its the actual
DVD-/CD-RW DRIVE(D) it plays dvds and discs but wont let me save from
computer onto a disc on this drive.that site was for files not actual dvd
drive please help me

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBC0E104-82CE-4933-A646-322842476DBF@microsoft.com...
> >I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and save
> > photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to contact
> > the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can save
> > onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc and
> > put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save for
> > my work,thanking u

July 13, 2005 8:32:33 AM

yes i am putting in recordable cds,both our computers since we done recovery
has got the same problem.it would of said not recordable disc but it doesnt
it says dont have permission ask administrator

"Julie" wrote:

> I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and save
> photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to contact
> the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can save
> onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc and
> put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save for
> my work,thanking u
July 13, 2005 10:40:12 AM

One thing to check..right click the drive..properties..recording tab and
make sure 'Enable CD Recording on this Drive' is checked.

"administrator error in d drive"
<administratorerrorinddrive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes i am putting in recordable cds,both our computers since we done
> recovery
> has got the same problem.it would of said not recordable disc but it
> doesnt
> it says dont have permission ask administrator
>
> "Julie" wrote:
>
>> I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and
>> save
>> photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to
>> contact
>> the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can
>> save
>> onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc
>> and
>> put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save
>> for
>> my work,thanking u
July 13, 2005 10:40:13 AM

there is only one thing to tick and thats for enable digital cd audio for the
cd-rom drive ,there is no recording tab what i can find under properties

"Ricky" wrote:

> One thing to check..right click the drive..properties..recording tab and
> make sure 'Enable CD Recording on this Drive' is checked.
>
> "administrator error in d drive"
> <administratorerrorinddrive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes i am putting in recordable cds,both our computers since we done
> > recovery
> > has got the same problem.it would of said not recordable disc but it
> > doesnt
> > it says dont have permission ask administrator
> >
> > "Julie" wrote:
> >
> >> I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and
> >> save
> >> photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to
> >> contact
> >> the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can
> >> save
> >> onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc
> >> and
> >> put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save
> >> for
> >> my work,thanking u

July 13, 2005 2:52:18 PM

> mark it wont let me go past the properties cos its not a file its the
actual
> DVD-/CD-RW DRIVE(D) it plays dvds and discs but wont let me save from
> computer onto a disc on this drive.that site was for files not actual dvd
> drive please help me

This might sound a very silly question, but you are trying to save files
onto a CDR or CDRW disk, aren't you?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:52:19 PM

yes i am trying to save onto the disc.it plays cds,dvds but as soon as u put
disc in to save like photos from the computer the error message comes up that
i dont have permission to save on this path to contact the administrator,lol
i am the administrator and i dont know how to send the permission to allow to
save from the path

"Gordon" wrote:

> "administrator error in d drive" <administrator error in d
> drive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > mark it wont let me go past the properties cos its not a file its the
> actual
> > DVD-/CD-RW DRIVE(D) it plays dvds and discs but wont let me save from
> > computer onto a disc on this drive.that site was for files not actual dvd
> > drive please help me
> >

> This might sound a very silly question, but you are trying to save files
> onto a CDR or CDRW disk, aren't you?

July 13, 2005 3:13:07 PM

> yes i am trying to save onto the disc.

What I meant was, you are using a RECORDABLE cd in the CD RW drive, aren't
you? (It has been known for people to try to record onto a non-recordable CD
before now!)
July 15, 2005 4:08:03 PM

please can u help me with this problem,its not the files i need to
administrate the d rom drive.i need to be able to save

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBC0E104-82CE-4933-A646-322842476DBF@microsoft.com...
> >I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and save
> > photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to contact
> > the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can save
> > onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc and
> > put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save for
> > my work,thanking u

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:15:34 PM

Right click the CD in My Computer, click Properties/Recording Tab. Check "Enable CD recording on this drive."

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05FA6FFF-08C0-4AA1-A317-828F890632CC@microsoft.com...
> please can u help me with this problem,its not the files i need to
> administrate the d rom drive.i need to be able to save
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBC0E104-82CE-4933-A646-322842476DBF@microsoft.com...
>> >I can play movies and listen to music on my D;drive but when I try and save
>> > photos or anything onto a disc it says that that path not allowed to contact
>> > the administrator,could u please help me to change the settings so i can save
>> > onto my discs again.it worked perfectly until i had to do a recovery disc and
>> > put it back to factory settings.please please help me as i need to save for
>> > my work,thanking u

July 15, 2005 6:15:35 PM

mark i went into the properties and theres only one thing to tick and thats
enable digital cd audio for cd rom drive and thats it,its already ticked

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Right click the CD in My Computer, click Properties/Recording Tab. Check "Enable CD recording on this drive."
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05FA6FFF-08C0-4AA1-A317-828F890632CC@microsoft.com...
> > please can u help me with this problem,its not the files i need to
> > administrate the d rom drive.i need to be able to save
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q308421
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 7:40:30 PM

> mark i went into the properties and theres only one thing to tick and
> thats
> enable digital cd audio for cd rom drive and thats it,its already ticked

If you ran a recovery disk and now burning isn't avaiable, I wonder if that
is the original drive. Try going into Control Panel, System, Device
Manager, and right-clicking on the CD-Rom drive. Select "Uninstall", say
yes and then restart the system to permit re-detection.

You might want to take a quick note of how the drive is identified currently
and how it's re-detected.

Does that change the options available?

HTH
-pk

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Right click the CD in My Computer, click Properties/Recording Tab. Check
>> "Enable CD recording on this drive."
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > please can u help me with this problem,its not the files i need to
>> > administrate the d rom drive.i need to be able to save

July 15, 2005 7:40:31 PM

it says its running properly.it plays cds and plays dvds its just when i try
save onto the discs it wont let me,says not got permission,we uninstalled it
and redone it and it says the same.works properly but wont let us use the
path to save onto a disc it says to contact administrator

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > mark i went into the properties and theres only one thing to tick and
> > thats
> > enable digital cd audio for cd rom drive and thats it,its already ticked
>
> If you ran a recovery disk and now burning isn't avaiable, I wonder if that
> is the original drive. Try going into Control Panel, System, Device
> Manager, and right-clicking on the CD-Rom drive. Select "Uninstall", say
> yes and then restart the system to permit re-detection.
>
> You might want to take a quick note of how the drive is identified currently
> and how it's re-detected.
>
> Does that change the options available?
>
> HTH
> -pk
>

> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Right click the CD in My Computer, click Properties/Recording Tab. Check
> >> "Enable CD recording on this drive."
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:42:39 PM

You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.

The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E702A53-5786-4A6C-9D97-755513B51821@microsoft.com...
> it says its running properly.it plays cds and plays dvds its just when i try
> save onto the discs it wont let me,says not got permission,we uninstalled it
> and redone it and it says the same.works properly but wont let us use the
> path to save onto a disc it says to contact administrator
>
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > mark i went into the properties and theres only one thing to tick and
>> > thats
>> > enable digital cd audio for cd rom drive and thats it,its already ticked
>>
>> If you ran a recovery disk and now burning isn't avaiable, I wonder if that
>> is the original drive. Try going into Control Panel, System, Device
>> Manager, and right-clicking on the CD-Rom drive. Select "Uninstall", say
>> yes and then restart the system to permit re-detection.
>>
>> You might want to take a quick note of how the drive is identified currently
>> and how it's re-detected.
>>
>> Does that change the options available?
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk

July 18, 2005 9:48:01 AM

mark it says that it cannot find a better driver to press finish,its strange
how it is doing it with computer upstairs too because the disc drive was in
the machine when we bought it,what else do u suggest

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.
>
> The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
> start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E702A53-5786-4A6C-9D97-755513B51821@microsoft.com...
> > it says its running properly.it plays cds and plays dvds its just when i try
> > save onto the discs it wont let me,says not got permission,we uninstalled it
> > and redone it and it says the same.works properly but wont let us use the
> > path to save onto a disc it says to contact administrator
> >
> > "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
> >
> >> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> If you ran a recovery disk and now burning isn't avaiable, I wonder if that
> >> is the original drive. Try going into Control Panel, System, Device
> >> Manager, and right-clicking on the CD-Rom drive. Select "Uninstall", say
> >> yes and then restart the system to permit re-detection.
> >>
> >> You might want to take a quick note of how the drive is identified currently
> >> and how it's re-detected.
> >>
> >> Does that change the options available?
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> -pk

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:43:39 PM

Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
On the Edit menu, click Permissions .
Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow .
Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the
Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then click OK again

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DB2E6F1-BF26-4AD0-AD58-07A3CB5488AB@microsoft.com...
> mark it says that it cannot find a better driver to press finish,its strange
> how it is doing it with computer upstairs too because the disc drive was in
> the machine when we bought it,what else do u suggest
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.
>>
>> The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
>> start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E702A53-5786-4A6C-9D97-755513B51821@microsoft.com...
>> > it says its running properly.it plays cds and plays dvds its just when i try
>> > save onto the discs it wont let me,says not got permission,we uninstalled it
>> > and redone it and it says the same.works properly but wont let us use the
>> > path to save onto a disc it says to contact administrator

July 18, 2005 2:43:40 PM

how do u locate the registry key?where is the registry key,sorry for sounding
a bit stupid

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Locate and click the following registry key:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
> On the Edit menu, click Permissions .
> Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow .
> Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the
> Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
> Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
> Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then click OK again
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DB2E6F1-BF26-4AD0-AD58-07A3CB5488AB@microsoft.com...
> > mark it says that it cannot find a better driver to press finish,its strange
> > how it is doing it with computer upstairs too because the disc drive was in
> > the machine when we bought it,what else do u suggest
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.
> >>
> >> The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
> >> start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

July 18, 2005 2:43:40 PM

where is the registry key and how do u locate it sorry to sound a bit stupid

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:18:51 PM

How to Modify the Windows Registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136393&ID=kb;en-us;Q136393

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEFD99F7-D579-48C6-A998-7D80E99C62E6@microsoft.com...
> where is the registry key and how do u locate it sorry to sound a bit stupid
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Locate and click the following registry key:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
>> On the Edit menu, click Permissions .
>> Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow .
>> Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the
>> Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
>> Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check
>> box.
>> Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then click OK again
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DB2E6F1-BF26-4AD0-AD58-07A3CB5488AB@microsoft.com...
>> > mark it says that it cannot find a better driver to press finish,its strange
>> > how it is doing it with computer upstairs too because the disc drive was in
>> > the machine when we bought it,what else do u suggest

July 18, 2005 3:18:52 PM

starting to get fustrated now.all the administrators has full permissions
behind the names so why is it saying to ask administrator to save onto the
D:D vd/cd drive

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> How to Modify the Windows Registry:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136393&ID=kb;en-us;Q136393
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEFD99F7-D579-48C6-A998-7D80E99C62E6@microsoft.com...
> > where is the registry key and how do u locate it sorry to sound a bit stupid
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Locate and click the following registry key:
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
> >> On the Edit menu, click Permissions .
> >> Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow .
> >> Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the
> >> Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
> >> Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check
> >> box.
> >> Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then click OK again
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:55:30 PM

Rightclick the drive icon after you boot to Safe Mode, and logon to the default "Administrator" account.

Ther Properties should show a Security tab, with a Permissions button

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0...

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD072A89-F58C-4E35-BCC1-5E5A32A5253D@microsoft.com...
> starting to get fustrated now.all the administrators has full permissions
> behind the names so why is it saying to ask administrator to save onto the
> D:D vd/cd drive
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> How to Modify the Windows Registry:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136393&ID=kb;en-us;Q136393
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEFD99F7-D579-48C6-A998-7D80E99C62E6@microsoft.com...
>> > where is the registry key and how do u locate it sorry to sound a bit stupid

July 18, 2005 3:55:31 PM

how do u boot to safe mode when i boot it always boots normally

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Rightclick the drive icon after you boot to Safe Mode, and logon to the default "Administrator" account.
>
> Ther Properties should show a Security tab, with a Permissions button
>
> Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0...
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD072A89-F58C-4E35-BCC1-5E5A32A5253D@microsoft.com...
> > starting to get fustrated now.all the administrators has full permissions
> > behind the names so why is it saying to ask administrator to save onto the
> > D:D vd/cd drive
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> How to Modify the Windows Registry:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136393&ID=kb;en-us;Q136393
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:43:46 PM

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315222

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F889C8B0-395F-4178-8B4A-46B10C10EE0E@microsoft.com...
> how do u boot to safe mode when i boot it always boots normally
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Rightclick the drive icon after you boot to Safe Mode, and logon to the default "Administrator" account.
>>
>> Ther Properties should show a Security tab, with a Permissions button
>>
>> Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0...
>>

>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD072A89-F58C-4E35-BCC1-5E5A32A5253D@microsoft.com...
>> > starting to get fustrated now.all the administrators has full permissions
>> > behind the names so why is it saying to ask administrator to save onto the
>> > D:D vd/cd drive

July 18, 2005 9:13:55 PM

> how do u locate the registry key?where is the registry key,sorry for
sounding
> a bit stupid

I would suggest if you are not familiar with editing the registry that you
leave it well alone, and get someone who is local to you and whom you trust
to come and do this.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:27:46 AM

Type regedit in Start - Run.

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:222D1B89-D8B1-41A5-8210-A6124A18FEB9@microsoft.com...
> how do u locate the registry key?where is the registry key,sorry for sounding
> a bit stupid
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Locate and click the following registry key:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
>> On the Edit menu, click Permissions .
>> Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow .
>> Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the
>> Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
>> Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
>> Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then click OK again
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DB2E6F1-BF26-4AD0-AD58-07A3CB5488AB@microsoft.com...
>> > mark it says that it cannot find a better driver to press finish,its strange
>> > how it is doing it with computer upstairs too because the disc drive was in
>> > the machine when we bought it,what else do u suggest

July 19, 2005 1:26:03 PM

mark i went into the safe mode and double clicked in my computer to get to
the d:D vd/cd rom and its got the same things as in normal mode.i then tried
the regedit and there is no such thing as protected storage system
provider,so if the things are the same in safe mode as normal when i right
click the d drive rom,it still only has the cd thing clicked like i said
before,what do u suggest now,lol i did learn something today with the safe
mode never knew there was a hidden administrator cos normal its only me and
hubby.i am so sorry that i have to keep asking u things.i hope i am not
fustrating u,u have been so helpful,what do u suggest,i tried the drivers
thing in safe mode too and it says we got the best driver

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315222
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F889C8B0-395F-4178-8B4A-46B10C10EE0E@microsoft.com...
> > how do u boot to safe mode when i boot it always boots normally
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Rightclick the drive icon after you boot to Safe Mode, and logon to the default "Administrator" account.
> >>
> >> Ther Properties should show a Security tab, with a Permissions button
> >>
> >> Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0...
> >>

> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:47:28 AM

You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).

Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF44CB10-4BBB-4963-BC34-62B95B154D09@microsoft.com...
> mark i went into the safe mode and double clicked in my computer to get to
> the d:D vd/cd rom and its got the same things as in normal mode.i then tried
> the regedit and there is no such thing as protected storage system
> provider,so if the things are the same in safe mode as normal when i right
> click the d drive rom,it still only has the cd thing clicked like i said
> before,what do u suggest now,lol i did learn something today with the safe
> mode never knew there was a hidden administrator cos normal its only me and
> hubby.i am so sorry that i have to keep asking u things.i hope i am not
> fustrating u,u have been so helpful,what do u suggest,i tried the drivers
> thing in safe mode too and it says we got the best driver
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> 315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315222
>>

>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F889C8B0-395F-4178-8B4A-46B10C10EE0E@microsoft.com...
>> > how do u boot to safe mode when i boot it always boots normally

July 20, 2005 6:47:29 AM

no i am trying to save on the disc just like saving onto a floppy.its not
only a dvd but also a cd rewriter.I have saved on this disc for months and
let me till the recovery disc.when u press on the photo and go to save this
drive is an obtion and it is with other computers too.it is a cd writer rom
as well as a dvd rom.i have saved all my photos on this disc from my
wedding,my dad saves on his computer too to his d:cd rom drive.most computers
have cd rom drives to save onto discs as computers dont come with floppy
drives anymore,up the stairs is not a dvd/cd rom drive just a cd recordable
rom drive and it wont let the path either.

"David Candy" wrote:

> You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).
>
> Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF44CB10-4BBB-4963-BC34-62B95B154D09@microsoft.com...
> > mark i went into the safe mode and double clicked in my computer to get to
> > the d:D vd/cd rom and its got the same things as in normal mode.i then tried
> > the regedit and there is no such thing as protected storage system
> > provider,so if the things are the same in safe mode as normal when i right
> > click the d drive rom,it still only has the cd thing clicked like i said
> > before,what do u suggest now,lol i did learn something today with the safe
> > mode never knew there was a hidden administrator cos normal its only me and
> > hubby.i am so sorry that i have to keep asking u things.i hope i am not
> > fustrating u,u have been so helpful,what do u suggest,i tried the drivers
> > thing in safe mode too and it says we got the best driver
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> 315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315222
> >>

> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

July 20, 2005 6:47:29 AM

david it is a dvd/cd-rw drive(D) so u can save onto discs on the d drive.i
forgot to mention that in my reply to u

"David Candy" wrote:

> You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).
>
> Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF44CB10-4BBB-4963-BC34-62B95B154D09@microsoft.com...
> > mark i went into the safe mode and double clicked in my computer to get to
> > the d:D vd/cd rom and its got the same things as in normal mode.i then tried
> > the regedit and there is no such thing as protected storage system
> > provider,so if the things are the same in safe mode as normal when i right
> > click the d drive rom,it still only has the cd thing clicked like i said
> > before,what do u suggest now,lol i did learn something today with the safe
> > mode never knew there was a hidden administrator cos normal its only me and
> > hubby.i am so sorry that i have to keep asking u things.i hope i am not
> > fustrating u,u have been so helpful,what do u suggest,i tried the drivers
> > thing in safe mode too and it says we got the best driver
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> 315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315222
> >>

> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:14:51 AM

So you need to start the program that came with the computer. Note it is not part of Windows. Also older versions of windows won't read disks made this way.

So I gave you two names did they ring a bell? What CD burning software do you have? Does Nero ring a bell?

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D BF9BB41-D8FB-497F-91BE-E125727FB202@microsoft.com...
> no i am trying to save on the disc just like saving onto a floppy.its not
> only a dvd but also a cd rewriter.I have saved on this disc for months and
> let me till the recovery disc.when u press on the photo and go to save this
> drive is an obtion and it is with other computers too.it is a cd writer rom
> as well as a dvd rom.i have saved all my photos on this disc from my
> wedding,my dad saves on his computer too to his d:cd rom drive.most computers
> have cd rom drives to save onto discs as computers dont come with floppy
> drives anymore,up the stairs is not a dvd/cd rom drive just a cd recordable
> rom drive and it wont let the path either.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).
>>
>> Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF44CB10-4BBB-4963-BC34-62B95B154D09@microsoft.com...
>> > mark i went into the safe mode and double clicked in my computer to get to
>> > the d:D vd/cd rom and its got the same things as in normal mode.i then tried
>> > the regedit and there is no such thing as protected storage system
>> > provider,so if the things are the same in safe mode as normal when i right
>> > click the d drive rom,it still only has the cd thing clicked like i said
>> > before,what do u suggest now,lol i did learn something today with the safe
>> > mode never knew there was a hidden administrator cos normal its only me and
>> > hubby.i am so sorry that i have to keep asking u things.i hope i am not
>> > fustrating u,u have been so helpful,what do u suggest,i tried the drivers
>> > thing in safe mode too and it says we got the best driver

July 20, 2005 7:14:52 AM

i am not trying to burn a cd i am trying to save photos from my computer onto
my disc which is suppost to be straight forward ,a monkey can do that but i
cant cos the administrator settings wont let me this is what i am trying to
find how to sort not burning cds,we are able to copy dvds,play cds but the
only thing it wont let me do which it should is copy my photos onto a disc,it
did it before the recovery disc to put back to factory settings,so do u know
how to change my administrator settings cos it lets me burn cds but not the
normal saving onto a disc from my documents

"David Candy" wrote:

> So you need to start the program that came with the computer. Note it is not part of Windows. Also older versions of windows won't read disks made this way.
>
> So I gave you two names did they ring a bell? What CD burning software do you have? Does Nero ring a bell?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D BF9BB41-D8FB-497F-91BE-E125727FB202@microsoft.com...
> > no i am trying to save on the disc just like saving onto a floppy.its not
> > only a dvd but also a cd rewriter.I have saved on this disc for months and
> > let me till the recovery disc.when u press on the photo and go to save this
> > drive is an obtion and it is with other computers too.it is a cd writer rom
> > as well as a dvd rom.i have saved all my photos on this disc from my
> > wedding,my dad saves on his computer too to his d:cd rom drive.most computers
> > have cd rom drives to save onto discs as computers dont come with floppy
> > drives anymore,up the stairs is not a dvd/cd rom drive just a cd recordable
> > rom drive and it wont let the path either.
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).
> >>
> >> Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:32:39 AM

As I said that is not a feature of Windows. You were supplied or bought a program that makes a CD-RW act as a floppy. You need to get that program back. Knowing the name would be a good start.

You may already be running the program and the program is generating the error. How did you get your computer or CD-RW if bought seperately? What brands is the CD-RW and the computer (if well known we can look it up on their web site)? How did you reinstall windows - there in not just one way.

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A18C0937-00AD-4A16-9E3F-28D63A1E444A@microsoft.com...
> david it is a dvd/cd-rw drive(D) so u can save onto discs on the d drive.i
> forgot to mention that in my reply to u
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).
>>
>> Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF44CB10-4BBB-4963-BC34-62B95B154D09@microsoft.com...
>> > mark i went into the safe mode and double clicked in my computer to get to
>> > the d:D vd/cd rom and its got the same things as in normal mode.i then tried
>> > the regedit and there is no such thing as protected storage system
>> > provider,so if the things are the same in safe mode as normal when i right
>> > click the d drive rom,it still only has the cd thing clicked like i said
>> > before,what do u suggest now,lol i did learn something today with the safe
>> > mode never knew there was a hidden administrator cos normal its only me and
>> > hubby.i am so sorry that i have to keep asking u things.i hope i am not
>> > fustrating u,u have been so helpful,what do u suggest,i tried the drivers
>> > thing in safe mode too and it says we got the best driver

July 20, 2005 7:32:40 AM

the computer up the stairs what has the same problem is a packard bell and
the cd re writer was built into the computer and windows was already set in
too.
the computer down the stairs we put a philips dvdrw416
both computers we had to do a system disc and both computers have landed up
with the same problem,the packard bell one was already built in so why would
that have the same problem as the computer down stairs where we put the
philips one in.we havent changed any settings david so why the administrator
fault on the packard bell one,this is confusing

"David Candy" wrote:

> As I said that is not a feature of Windows. You were supplied or bought a program that makes a CD-RW act as a floppy. You need to get that program back. Knowing the name would be a good start.
>
> You may already be running the program and the program is generating the error. How did you get your computer or CD-RW if bought seperately? What brands is the CD-RW and the computer (if well known we can look it up on their web site)? How did you reinstall windows - there in not just one way.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A18C0937-00AD-4A16-9E3F-28D63A1E444A@microsoft.com...
> > david it is a dvd/cd-rw drive(D) so u can save onto discs on the d drive.i
> > forgot to mention that in my reply to u
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> You know that you can't save to a CD with a File - Save As dialog. You make a CD not save to a CD, they are not like a hard disk. There are programs that make a CD act like a floppy - they are not very good but some use them. One common program that comes with a lot of computers is InCD (and others with names like Direct Access).
> >>
> >> Is this what is happening? You try to save a file onto the CD like it was a hard disk rather than saving the file on the hard disk, then doing a Send To the CD, then burning the CD?
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:00:15 AM

We'll do one at a time. As an ex philips employee we'll do my old company first.

The sales brochure says it comes with Nero (well it doesn't mention names but they have Nero's logo on the brouchure see http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvdrw416k_00/dvdrw41...), so that would be the InCD program that comes with Nero. Do you have the CD that came with the CD-RW drive.

Look in C:\Program Files\Ahead for a program called InCD. If you find it double click it. If not install the software that came with the philips (note only one L in philips).
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E66FF03A-0A27-456B-A23F-DF33D21ADB42@microsoft.com...
> the computer up the stairs what has the same problem is a packard bell and
> the cd re writer was built into the computer and windows was already set in
> too.
> the computer down the stairs we put a philips dvdrw416
> both computers we had to do a system disc and both computers have landed up
> with the same problem,the packard bell one was already built in so why would
> that have the same problem as the computer down stairs where we put the
> philips one in.we havent changed any settings david so why the administrator
> fault on the packard bell one,this is confusing
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> As I said that is not a feature of Windows. You were supplied or bought a program that makes a CD-RW act as a floppy. You need to get that program back. Knowing the name would be a good start.
>>
>> You may already be running the program and the program is generating the error. How did you get your computer or CD-RW if bought seperately? What brands is the CD-RW and the computer (if well known we can look it up on their web site)? How did you reinstall windows - there in not just one way.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A18C0937-00AD-4A16-9E3F-28D63A1E444A@microsoft.com...
>> > david it is a dvd/cd-rw drive(D) so u can save onto discs on the d drive.i
>> > forgot to mention that in my reply to u

July 20, 2005 4:20:02 PM

mark u gone quite since david started to post.the two things u told me to
click is clicked,both read and full control,when i am in safe mode i cant get
as far as protected storage system provider either

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Rightclick the drive icon after you boot to Safe Mode, and logon to the default "Administrator" account.
>
> Ther Properties should show a Security tab, with a Permissions button
>
> Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040):
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/0...
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD072A89-F58C-4E35-BCC1-5E5A32A5253D@microsoft.com...
> > starting to get fustrated now.all the administrators has full permissions
> > behind the names so why is it saying to ask administrator to save onto the
> > D:D vd/cd drive
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> How to Modify the Windows Registry:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q136393&ID=kb;en-us;Q136393
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mark L. Ferguson
> >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:51:03 AM

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.
>
> The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
> start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E702A53-5786-4A6C-9D97-755513B51821@microsoft.com...
> > it says its running properly.it plays cds and plays dvds its just when i try
> > save onto the discs it wont let me,says not got permission,we uninstalled it
> > and redone it and it says the same.works properly but wont let us use the
> > path to save onto a disc it says to contact administrator
> >
> > "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
> >
> >> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> If you ran a recovery disk and now burning isn't avaiable, I wonder if that
> >> is the original drive. Try going into Control Panel, System, Device
> >> Manager, and right-clicking on the CD-Rom drive. Select "Uninstall", say
> >> yes and then restart the system to permit re-detection.
> >>
> >> You might want to take a quick note of how the drive is identified currently
> >> and how it's re-detected.
> >>
> >> Does that change the options available?
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> -pk

July 29, 2005 10:32:02 AM

could u help me find the driver .i went onto the philips site and thats a
useless site.the driver i am looking for is for a philipsdvdrw416.i honestly
got stuck looking for a driver for this.thanks,Julie

"jacky_a1234a@yahoo.com.tw" wrote:

> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.
> >
> > The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
> > start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC
> >
> > --
> > Mark L. Ferguson
> > FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> > "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E702A53-5786-4A6C-9D97-755513B51821@microsoft.com...
> > > it says its running properly.it plays cds and plays dvds its just when i try
> > > save onto the discs it wont let me,says not got permission,we uninstalled it
> > > and redone it and it says the same.works properly but wont let us use the
> > > path to save onto a disc it says to contact administrator

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 1:33:55 PM

It's up to the maker of a device to provide a driver that works with the system. If they have not made a XP compatible driver for
that drive, nothing you do is going to change that.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7CB9542-202F-46E0-9A0E-E5E006F8B42F@microsoft.com...
> could u help me find the driver .i went onto the philips site and thats a
> useless site.the driver i am looking for is for a philipsdvdrw416.i honestly
> got stuck looking for a driver for this.thanks,Julie
>
> "jacky_a1234a@yahoo.com.tw" wrote:
>

>> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>>
>> > You need to find an XP compatible driver for the CD or DVD 'burner' that enables that recording tab checkbox.
>> >
>> > The device manager properties of the drive may have a Driver tab that allows a button for "UpDate Driver"
>> > start/run, type: DEVMGMT.MSC
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mark L. Ferguson
>> > FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

July 30, 2005 6:46:01 AM

mark thanks for ur help,my system actually crashed last night,it would only
load half the icons on desktop would not let me system restore so i did a
recovery disc and the cd rwriter is working now thanks.I dont know how but it
looks like the path was lost and the computer kept saying it was
administrator.I want to thank u for ur patience,Julie

!