Wireless connection to cable outlet possible?

martin

I have RoadRunner internet access available at a TV wall receptacle about 25
feet from my computer. I could use the appropriate splitter and just run a
cable to the modem/computer setup, but any path I might use for the cable
would be very un-neat, as my wife quickly points out. Is there some way to
use a wireless connection after the splitter to get the signal to the
cable modem at the computer? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions on
the equipment to use and how to connect it.

Marty

Why didn't Roadrunner just put the cable outlet where the computer was? They
are supposed to.

In article <IhPlc.4731$8S1.1448@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Martin <marty2kay@earthlink.not> wrote:
:I have RoadRunner internet access available at a TV wall receptacle about 25
:feet from my computer. I could use the appropriate splitter and just run a
:cable to the modem/computer setup, but any path I might use for the cable
:would be very un-neat, as my wife quickly points out. Is there some way to
:use a wireless connection after the splitter to get the signal to the
:cable modem at the computer?

Maybe, but it probably wouldn't be worth the bother, as it would have to
take the raw signal off the coax, send it through the wireless,
and convert it back to coax for the cable modem purposes. The raw signal
doesn't necessarily look very much like the nice data signal you
get on the other side of the modem: cable modems are a shared media,
so that coax is potentially containing encrypted data intended for
other customers. The wireless link you propose would therefore have
to run at the full broadband speed of the cable, not at the portion
of the speed that you are granted to via your cable modem.

What I would suggest is that you put the cable modem right by the
splitter, and put a standard wireless link on the ethernet jack of
the cable modem, with the other end of the link at your computer.
Depending on your circumstances, either an Access Point,
Wireless Router, or Wireless Bridge might be appropriate devices
at that point.

A Linksys WET11 wireless bridge, for example, is not very big or intrusive,
and works fairly well.
--
"[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey

Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

What a brilliant comment! Just what this guy needs, isn´t it?
Puts his wife at ease and everything.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 17:23:26 GMT, Noozer wrote:

>Why didn't Roadrunner just put the cable outlet where
>the computer was? They are supposed to.

Lars
Stockholm