Dell Poweredge 2300 / Raid

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
April 29, 2005 5:28:17 PM

Hello,

I received an old Dell Poweredge 2300. I can't find anything about the
RAID management.
At boot time I can see 2 SCSI controlers :

adaptec 7890 with 3 devices
HDD 1
HDD 2
DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP

adaptec 7860 with 2 devices
CROM
DAT

It seems that the backplane is hotplug but I can find anything about
raid capabilities.
how to know ?

thanks for you answers
shug
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:12:39 AM

You will need to buy a RAID (PowerEdge RAID Controller or PERC, or some
other RAID controller - Adaptec, LSI Logic, etc). What you have now is
just an ultrawide SCSI controller - no RAID.

shug wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I received an old Dell Poweredge 2300. I can't find anything about the
> RAID management.
> At boot time I can see 2 SCSI controlers :
>
> adaptec 7890 with 3 devices
> HDD 1
> HDD 2
> DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP
>
> adaptec 7860 with 2 devices
> CROM
> DAT
>
> It seems that the backplane is hotplug but I can find anything about
> raid capabilities.
> how to know ?
>
> thanks for you answers
> shug
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:34:34 AM

That server has an embedded array controller, but you need a RAID enabler
key and a cache DIMM (128M standard) installed to make it work.

Also, going into the setup, you can change the channel mode from SCSI to
RAID. Open your box, and have a look inside. If you see the tiny little PCB
and extra memory DIMM installed in the board, you are ready for raid. If
not, I have some I could sell you.

- NuTs

!