Dell Poweredge 2300 / Raid

Hello,

I received an old Dell Poweredge 2300. I can't find anything about the
RAID management.
At boot time I can see 2 SCSI controlers :

adaptec 7890 with 3 devices
HDD 1
HDD 2
DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP

adaptec 7860 with 2 devices
CROM
DAT

It seems that the backplane is hotplug but I can find anything about
raid capabilities.
how to know ?

thanks for you answers
shug
2 answers Last reply
More about dell poweredge 2300 raid

    You will need to buy a RAID (PowerEdge RAID Controller or PERC, or some
    other RAID controller - Adaptec, LSI Logic, etc). What you have now is
    just an ultrawide SCSI controller - no RAID.

    shug wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I received an old Dell Poweredge 2300. I can't find anything about the
    > RAID management.
    > At boot time I can see 2 SCSI controlers :
    >
    > adaptec 7890 with 3 devices
    > HDD 1
    > HDD 2
    > DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP
    >
    > adaptec 7860 with 2 devices
    > CROM
    > DAT
    >
    > It seems that the backplane is hotplug but I can find anything about
    > raid capabilities.
    > how to know ?
    >
    > thanks for you answers
    > shug

    That server has an embedded array controller, but you need a RAID enabler
    key and a cache DIMM (128M standard) installed to make it work.

    Also, going into the setup, you can change the channel mode from SCSI to
    RAID. Open your box, and have a look inside. If you see the tiny little PCB
    and extra memory DIMM installed in the board, you are ready for raid. If
    not, I have some I could sell you.

    - NuTs

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > You will need to buy a RAID (PowerEdge RAID Controller or PERC, or some
    > other RAID controller - Adaptec, LSI Logic, etc). What you have now is
    > just an ultrawide SCSI controller - no RAID.
    >

    > shug wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I received an old Dell Poweredge 2300. I can't find anything about the
    >> RAID management.
    >> At boot time I can see 2 SCSI controlers :
    >>
    >> adaptec 7890 with 3 devices
    >> HDD 1
    >> HDD 2
    >> DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP
    >>
    >> adaptec 7860 with 2 devices
    >> CROM
    >> DAT
    >>
    >> It seems that the backplane is hotplug but I can find anything about raid
    >> capabilities.
    >> how to know ?
    >>
    >> thanks for you answers
    >> shug