Explorer Window settings

I set up my PC a year or so ago so that when I open Explorer windows, all I
get is the file details on every folder, ie, date, size, type and date
modified, no previews, pictures, and all the other stuff that used to show
up to the left of that info..

I set up another PC but have forgotten how to get rid of the stuff.

I couldn't find it under View, customize this folder.
Under Tools, Folder Options, it's not the Windows classic setting.

How did I get rid of that other stuff that makes you have to widen your
window so much to see the info you need?

Thanks,
Mich

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
General tab | UNCheck Show common tasks in folders

Show common tasks in folders
[[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on your
computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
the folder window.]]

Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eflhPyuhFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
M Skabialka <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> hunted and pecked:
> I set up my PC a year or so ago so that when I open Explorer windows, all
> I get is the file details on every folder, ie, date, size, type and date
> modified, no previews, pictures, and all the other stuff that used to show
> up to the left of that info..
>
> I set up another PC but have forgotten how to get rid of the stuff.
>
> I couldn't find it under View, customize this folder.
> Under Tools, Folder Options, it's not the Windows classic setting.
>
> How did I get rid of that other stuff that makes you have to widen your
> window so much to see the info you need?
>
> Thanks,
> Mich

OK, I didn't make my original message really clear:
I tried checking "Use Windows Classic Folders", which is the same as
UNChecking "Show common tasks in folders", and this wasn't the answer.
Changing this option on my PC makes no difference. I'm still hiding the
extra stuff I don't want to see, and that's what the other user wants.

Mich

> Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
> General tab | UNCheck Show common tasks in folders
>
> Show common tasks in folders
> [[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on
> your
> computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
> the folder window.]]
>
> Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
> http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eflhPyuhFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> M Skabialka <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I set up my PC a year or so ago so that when I open Explorer windows, all
>> I get is the file details on every folder, ie, date, size, type and date
>> modified, no previews, pictures, and all the other stuff that used to
>> show
>> up to the left of that info..
>>
>> I set up another PC but have forgotten how to get rid of the stuff.
>>
>> I couldn't find it under View, customize this folder.
>> Under Tools, Folder Options, it's not the Windows classic setting.
>>
>> How did I get rid of that other stuff that makes you have to widen your
>> window so much to see the info you need?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mich

Check the settings in Performance Options, under System Properties...

Start | Run | Type: sysdm.cpl | Click OK |
Advanced tab | Settings button under Performance |
Select Adjust for best performance or Custom

Adjust for best performance
[[Click to turn off all of the visual effects settings.]]

Custom
[[To turn on some visual effects but not others, select the check boxes
below for the visual effects you want to use.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23YkFDZvhFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
M Skabialka <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> hunted and pecked:
> OK, I didn't make my original message really clear:
> I tried checking "Use Windows Classic Folders", which is the same as
> UNChecking "Show common tasks in folders", and this wasn't the answer.
> Changing this option on my PC makes no difference. I'm still hiding the
> extra stuff I don't want to see, and that's what the other user wants.
>
> Mich

>> Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
>> General tab | UNCheck Show common tasks in folders
>>
>> Show common tasks in folders
>> [[Specifies that hyperlinks to common folder tasks and other places on
>> your
>> computer are displayed in folders. These links appear in the left pane of
>> the folder window.]]
>>
>> Enable or disable Common Tasks pane in folders
>> http://www.winxptutor.com/commontasks.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:eflhPyuhFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> M Skabialka <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I set up my PC a year or so ago so that when I open Explorer windows,
>>> all I get is the file details on every folder, ie, date, size, type and
>>> date modified, no previews, pictures, and all the other stuff that used
>>> to show
>>> up to the left of that info..
>>>
>>> I set up another PC but have forgotten how to get rid of the stuff.
>>>
>>> I couldn't find it under View, customize this folder.
>>> Under Tools, Folder Options, it's not the Windows classic setting.
>>>
>>> How did I get rid of that other stuff that makes you have to widen your
>>> window so much to see the info you need?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mich