It's enough to make a girl switch to Macs, I'm telling you...

I just got a new computer. I have a .zip file I created from my old
computer. Of course, I can't use it, because Microsoft has taken away my
ability to override their stupid security system, and THERE IS NO UNBLOCK
OPTION. So now I have a $50 piece of software made COMPLETELY USELESS to me
by Microsoft.

I've seen nothing anywhere in these forums where this particular problem has
been addressed - I've seen the click on unblock, but as I said, I have no
unblock option. If anyone has any idea how this can be fixed, I'm all ears,
but so far, nothing I've seen on the forums has worked. I'm logged in as an
administrator, but Microsoft apparently believes I'm too stupid to manage my
own security.

Sorry for the hostility; it's just extremely frustrating.

L.

It might help us to answer you, if you let us know what software is
being blocked, and what software is doing the blocking.

> It might help us to answer you, if you let us know what software is
> being blocked, and what software is doing the blocking.

First, thanks all of you for coming out of the woodwork so quickly to help
me even though I'm so frustrated and, I'm sure, frustrating to deal with. I
do appreciate it, and it's a testimony to your goodness. One round of good
karma, coming up....

Now, here's my deal:

The window says:
********************
WINDOWS SECURITY WARNING
Windows has blocked access to these files to help protect your computer.

Windows blocks files that are marked as not trusted. (Link to "Why were
these files blocked...?" which then tells me to unblock, and yet, I can't
unblock. Hence frustration.)
*********************

So, it is Microsoft, because Microsoft manufactures Windows XP. It's an XP
system thing, and I understand the heightened security, I really do. But I
should be able to override security if I'm confident of the source of the
..zip file, which is a piece of software I use called DietPower.

I found a backdoor to be able to get the backed up files into the software,
but I'm still frustrated that any blocked file should be missing the
"Unblock" option. As far as I can tell, there's no way for me to ever gain
access to this .zip file. As I'm transferring loads of material from my old
computer (also XP, but earlier build, pre SP2), I'm concerned about not being
able to get to my own information.

Thanks again, sorry again for all the hostility. Whatever my problems are,
they're definitely not your fault. But I'm a fairly experienced computer
user, I like to be able to manage my own stuff. This is actually why I hate
Macs, because I never had the control I had in Windows. Granted, that control
makes it really easy for a little knowledge to get very dangerous, but I
think those of us who have a little more experience should be able to
manipulate the system if we see fit.

I'll create a .zip from my old system and see what that gets me, if I get
the option to unblock.

L.

..zip files work fine on my copy of XP. Exactly what "stupid security system"
are you referring to?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> ..zip files work fine on my copy of XP. Exactly what "stupid security system"
> are you referring to?

I am referring to the fact that when I try to open a .zip file of my own
creation, which I know is safe, I receive a message from Microsoft Security
telling me that I can't have access to my own file.

Then, it tells me that if I insist on accessing this file, I have to go to
file properties, right click and select the unblock option.

Only there is no unblock option. Anywhere. The thing to do in this case
would be for the Microsoft Security to give me the warning, ask me if I'm
sure, and let me proceed.

Instead, I have to go through a whole process to get to the file, and when I
do, there's no unblock option. Microsoft's stupid security system is
preventing me from doing what I bought the computer to do - use my software.

That's what I mean by "stupid security system." And .zip files worked fine
on my old copy of XP - I'm assuming this comes from the newest build, with
the new service pack installed.

L.

There is no such thing as "Microsoft Security". Exactly what program is
giving you the message? Could it be your antivirus program, or a firewall
perhaps?

--

> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
> > ..zip files work fine on my copy of XP. Exactly what "stupid security
system"
> > are you referring to?
>
> I am referring to the fact that when I try to open a .zip file of my own
> creation, which I know is safe, I receive a message from Microsoft
Security
> telling me that I can't have access to my own file.
>
> Then, it tells me that if I insist on accessing this file, I have to go to
> file properties, right click and select the unblock option.
>
> Only there is no unblock option. Anywhere. The thing to do in this case
> would be for the Microsoft Security to give me the warning, ask me if I'm
> sure, and let me proceed.
>
> Instead, I have to go through a whole process to get to the file, and when
> do, there's no unblock option. Microsoft's stupid security system is
> preventing me from doing what I bought the computer to do - use my
software.

> That's what I mean by "stupid security system." And .zip files worked fine
> on my old copy of XP - I'm assuming this comes from the newest build, with
> the new service pack installed.
>
> L.

Are you talking about Microsoft AntiSpyware?

> There is no such thing as "Microsoft Security". Exactly what program is
> giving you the message? Could it be your antivirus program, or a firewall
> perhaps?
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Lani67" <Lani67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>>
>> > ..zip files work fine on my copy of XP. Exactly what "stupid security
> system"
>> > are you referring to?
>>
>> I am referring to the fact that when I try to open a .zip file of my own
>> creation, which I know is safe, I receive a message from Microsoft
> Security
>> telling me that I can't have access to my own file.
>>
>> Then, it tells me that if I insist on accessing this file, I have to go
>> file properties, right click and select the unblock option.
>>
>> Only there is no unblock option. Anywhere. The thing to do in this case
>> would be for the Microsoft Security to give me the warning, ask me if I'm
>> sure, and let me proceed.
>>
>> Instead, I have to go through a whole process to get to the file, and
>> when
>> do, there's no unblock option. Microsoft's stupid security system is
>> preventing me from doing what I bought the computer to do - use my
> software.
>>
>> That's what I mean by "stupid security system." And .zip files worked
>> fine
>> on my old copy of XP - I'm assuming this comes from the newest build,
>> with
>> the new service pack installed.
>>
>> L.

Do this, I have seen this before and found a work around. Email the zipped
file to yourself then you will have the unblock option. If it is to big for
email the try using www.yousendit.com . Something in the coding and
conversion makes it work after sending it. It's a bug that should be fixed.