how 2 convert standard xp pro lic to xppro vol lic??

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

all..

i have 2 xp pro machines that were built using the same id. the id was
already used and the user knew this but only wanted to use the systems for
the 60 days. now we need to get these activated and i have volume licenses
to use. when i enter the license it comes up invalid or incorrectly
entered.. ?? i use our vol lic every day and have had no issues.. what is
different with these machines?? unfortunatelly i cannot kill them (just yet),
the tester wishes to keep the current state of each machine..

both machines are dells and were built with a xp pro sp2 dell cd.. i have
had no issues using our vol lic with the dell sp1 cd.. i dont know if
something changed with this new version..

thanks in advance..

Apparently your Dell Vol. Lic. is valid for the SP1 CD.
Use your SP1 CD and Slipstream SP2(Downloaded from Microsoft) to create
a New SP2 CD.
Test your New SP2 CD on a dummy machine first.
Do a "Repair Installation" of your problem XP machines (with the New XP
SP2 CD), and enter your Vol Lic.

Done.

Rob wrote:
> all..
>
> i have 2 xp pro machines that were built using the same id. the id was
> already used and the user knew this but only wanted to use the systems for
> the 60 days. now we need to get these activated and i have volume licenses
> to use. when i enter the license it comes up invalid or incorrectly
> entered.. ?? i use our vol lic every day and have had no issues.. what is
> different with these machines?? unfortunatelly i cannot kill them (just yet),
> the tester wishes to keep the current state of each machine..
>
> both machines are dells and were built with a xp pro sp2 dell cd.. i have
> had no issues using our vol lic with the dell sp1 cd.. i dont know if
> something changed with this new version..
>
> thanks in advance..

Using the Volume License CD and VL Product Key,
you'll have to perform a "repair install".

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Rob" wrote:

| all..
|
| i have 2 xp pro machines that were built using the same id. the id was
| already used and the user knew this but only wanted to use the systems for
| the 60 days. now we need to get these activated and i have volume licenses
| to use. when i enter the license it comes up invalid or incorrectly
| entered.. ?? i use our vol lic every day and have had no issues.. what is
| different with these machines?? unfortunatelly i cannot kill them (just yet),
| the tester wishes to keep the current state of each machine..
|
| both machines are dells and were built with a xp pro sp2 dell cd.. i have
| had no issues using our vol lic with the dell sp1 cd.. i dont know if
| something changed with this new version..
|
| thanks in advance..

TRENDING THREADS