W2K, GF2Ultra, Unreal Tournament

tratrie

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Hello,

I'm not sure where to post this but I thought I would try here first.

I just built a new system:
ASUS A7V133
AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz
Corsair PC133 2-2-2 256Mb
Adaptec 2940U2W
3Com 10/100 3C905C-TX
Sound Blaster Live PCI
LeadTek WinFast GF2 Ultra (Det3 6.31 - 6.67)
Win2k SP-1
Nothing is OC'd.

Now on the above system I have installed Unreal Tournament. I have patched everything 6 ways to Sunday and I still have an odd problem only while playing UT. I'll be playing and suddenly the system will freeze and I see that the hard drive is being pounded. Once it is done with the hard drive, everything runs like normal. This will happen throughout the time I am playing UT. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it either. Sometimes it will happen in short intervals 1-2 minutes, other times longer 5-10 minutes.

Like I've said, I have everything I can think of running with the latest patches and drivers (GF2, VIA AGP, Win2k AMD patch, Adaptec BIOS and drivers...etc...etc...). The only thing I can think of is that is has something to do with the either the graphics system or the hard drive system. The problem is that EVERYTHING else runs fine. Q3A runs like lightning and W2K itself doesn't have any problems.

So is the SCSI controller going bad? Is the drive itself going bad? Is there something wrong with the UT install?

Just trying to figure out where to look. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Tom

G

Your best bet is to make sure you've installed all hardware and drivers in the appropriate order. I'm fairly new to computers and wanted to kill myself the first time I reformatted my HD and reinstalled everything. Nothing ran right. After a call to tech support, I started over, one step at a time, working from the ground up. After that, no problems what-so-ever.

Hope this helps, but like I said, I'm no expert so my experience is limited. But I've used this technique on friends' computers as well with success.

Good luck.