Montreal-Québec

Last response: in Network Providers
August 17, 2005 6:11:28 PM

On the 138 (north shore), Montréal to Trois Rivières is all Fido Basic.
Not a big surprise since highway 40 (which Fido covered) is never too
far from the 138.

On the 132, (south shore) from Trois Rivières to Québec, it is also all
Fido Basic (in the places I checked anyways). This is interesting
because this was not covered since Hiwghway 20 (which Fido covered) is
quite far from the St-Lawrence.

So it seems to me that Rogers has been generous in its allocation of
which towers are Fido-basic and which are Fido-extended. My guess is
that they are doing this not on a tower by tower basis, but perhaps more
likely on some regional hub basis. For instance, if the towers covering
the 132 are connected to the same hub that also serves the 20, then both
would be fido basic. It would be interesting to know for sure how they
worked the decision of what was and what wasn't fido basic.

(The above assumes that *#123# actually works and doesn't just always
report "Fido basic" :-)

More about : montreal quebec

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:11:29 PM

In message <43037DC8.4195476C@teksavvy.com> JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>On the 138 (north shore), Montréal to Trois Rivières is all Fido Basic.
>Not a big surprise since highway 40 (which Fido covered) is never too
>far from the 138.
>
>On the 132, (south shore) from Trois Rivières to Québec, it is also all
>Fido Basic (in the places I checked anyways). This is interesting
>because this was not covered since Hiwghway 20 (which Fido covered) is
>quite far from the St-Lawrence.
>

>So it seems to me that Rogers has been generous in its allocation of
>which towers are Fido-basic and which are Fido-extended. My guess is
>that they are doing this not on a tower by tower basis, but perhaps more
>likely on some regional hub basis. For instance, if the towers covering
>the 132 are connected to the same hub that also serves the 20, then both
>would be fido basic. It would be interesting to know for sure how they
>worked the decision of what was and what wasn't fido basic.
>
>(The above assumes that *#123# actually works and doesn't just always
>report "Fido basic" :-)

They're probably trying to include areas that may or may not have been
covered just to avoid complaints about the service. Lets face it, the
whole basic vs extended is basically a cash cow for Rogers anyway.

--
'Outlook not so good.'
That magic 8-ball knows everything!

DevilsPGD wrote:
> They're probably trying to include areas that may or may not have been
> covered just to avoid complaints about the service. Lets face it, the
> whole basic vs extended is basically a cash cow for Rogers anyway.

I am wondering if the "extended" is applied only to areas with 850
service only.

has anyone with a 1900 only phone ever gotten "Rogers extended service"
(or whatever the message is) while travelling in canada and doing the
*#123# thing ?
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:21:50 PM

In message <43039B35.7FE3BEA5@teksavvy.com> JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>DevilsPGD wrote:
>> They're probably trying to include areas that may or may not have been
>> covered just to avoid complaints about the service. Lets face it, the
>> whole basic vs extended is basically a cash cow for Rogers anyway.
>

>I am wondering if the "extended" is applied only to areas with 850
>service only.
>
>has anyone with a 1900 only phone ever gotten "Rogers extended service"
>(or whatever the message is) while travelling in canada and doing the
>*#123# thing ?

Hmm, interesting -- That would greatly simplify things.

However, looking at the maps, Rogers' 1900 coverage is much wider then
Fido's "basic" network maps.

--
I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.
!