Dell OEM Info

A few months ago someone posted information on setting a oem info file &
how to set the file up as a configuration file
Thanks in Advance
Glenn
--
"*-344-*Never Forgotten"
Is for the New York City Firemen who lost their lives on September 11,2001.

Are you writing about the file you can see via:
rightclicking on My Computer
selecting properties
On the General Tab, click the Support information button?

If yes, mine (winXP home) is located in: C:\windows\system32\OEMINFO.INI

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Are you writing about the file you can see via:
> rightclicking on My Computer
> selecting properties
> On the General Tab, click the Support information button?
>
> If yes, mine (winXP home) is located in: C:\windows\system32\OEMINFO.INI
>

> Glenn Klein wrote:
>
>>A few months ago someone posted information on setting a oem info file &
>>how to set the file up as a configuration file
>>Thanks in Advance
>>Glenn
>>--
>> "*-344-*Never Forgotten"
>>Is for the New York City Firemen who lost their lives on September 11,2001.
>>The official count is 343, but there was also a volunteer who lost his life
>>aiding in the initial rescue efforts. And I will never forget them as
>>long as I live,
>>nor should any American.

Yes but how do you save the file as a configuration File ??

--
"*-344-*Never Forgotten"
Is for the New York City Firemen who lost their lives on September 11,2001.
The official count is 343, but there was also a volunteer who lost his life
aiding in the initial rescue efforts. And I will never forget them as
long as I live,
nor should any American.

> Yes but how do you save the file as a configuration File ??

why would you want to ?

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
>>Yes but how do you save the file as a configuration File ??
>>

> why would you want to ?

so when you right click on my comp the information you save is there

--
"*-344-*Never Forgotten"
Is for the New York City Firemen who lost their lives on September 11,2001.
The official count is 343, but there was also a volunteer who lost his life
aiding in the initial rescue efforts. And I will never forget them as
long as I live,
nor should any American.

I'd use Notepad to save it (it's a plain old text file).

Mine looks like this:

======================start================================

; Manufacturer and Model are displayed on System.General page
; Manufacturer is a required field
[general]
Manufacturer=Dell
Model=Dell DIMENSION 8400

[Support Information]
Line1=When contacting Dell for support, please have
Line2=the following information available.
Line3=
Line4= Asset Tag: ######
Line5= Express Service Code: ######
Line6=
Line7=For online support, please go to http://support.dell.com
LINE8=For 24-hour technical support, in the USA, call 1-800-BUY-DELL
Line9=
Line10=WindowsXP code:
Line11= #############################
Line12=
Line13=Office 2003 code:
Line14= #############################
line15=
line16=C:\windows\system32\OEMINFO.INI

=====================End==========================

I added some lines to the file. (Windows xp and office codes).

The "Line##=" is on each of those lines.

--

Dave Peterson

The file is documented in Microsoft KB article 314472. The same KB
article documents OEMLOGO.BMP, which is the vendor logo image in the
system properties window.

Joe Morris

Dave Peterson <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> writes:

>Are you writing about the file you can see via:
>rightclicking on My Computer
>selecting properties
>On the General Tab, click the Support information button?

>If yes, mine (winXP home) is located in: C:\windows\system32\OEMINFO.INI

>Glenn Klein wrote:

>> A few months ago someone posted information on setting a oem info file &
>> how to set the file up as a configuration file

Just a direct link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314472