setup of direct 1394 connection?

Hi,
HAve an old desktop, new laptop. I'd like to connect them for large file
transfer and both have 1394 ports.
Anyone walk me thru getting these 2 to see each other?

JAck

To network two or more computers using 1394:

1. Plug a six-pin to six-pin 1394 cable into the 1394 ports of all your computers.
Just run the cable from any 1394 port on one computer to any port on the next computer.
(You can also use a hub to connect the computers together.)

2. Restart all the computers. The computers then automatically detect the network.

Using IEEE 1394 Devices with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/bridgman_02march25.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Edwards" wrote:

| Hi,
| HAve an old desktop, new laptop. I'd like to connect them for large file
| transfer and both have 1394 ports.
| Anyone walk me thru getting these 2 to see each other?
|
| JAck

Ummmm....nope.

I took down the firewalls on both machines, they acknowledge a network
connection, but they don't see each other.
Sharing is on, IP's are in automatic and issued, but I can't even get them
to ping each other.
I'm missing something......