OH MY GOD!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! [data recovery/password ..

July 12, 2005 4:24:45 PM

I kinda have to explain this.

On my username, there's a password and my files are made private
(siblings have a way of killing everything) - recently, while i was
away, i'm told there was a thunderstorm and it screwed up the computer
and then one of my siblings reinstalled windows. problem is, i cant get
into my files anymore. they're there but I can't get to them.

"C:\documents & settings\sixth is not accesible.
Access is denied"

thats the error i keep getting. is there any way to reset the password
or something?

--
sixth
Anonymous

It's not as difficult as that.

Done correctly, a reinstall of Windows XP doesn't touch your own files, so
everything should still be there. The reinstall does, however, create new
user accounts. Your new user account is locked out of seeing what's in your
old user account. All you have to do is 'take ownership' of your old
account. Here's how you do it:

"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"

While I have you on the phone: A thunderstorm can do physical damage to your
computer if it causes a surge in the power line. Make real sure your
computer works properly. And if you're not real sure, backup frequently
until the problem is fixed.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."