Can't search for text in Wordpad files

Each day I open a file in Wordpad and keep track of what I am working on.
At the end of the month I start a new file, e.g. "JournalJul05.doc". Today
I decided to search for text in these files (going back 6 years) for a
particular word to find out when I did a certain task. I know I did it this
year.

However, the Windows Explorer search function will only find text within the
files I created before I moved to Windows XP Pro about 6 months ago (newer
machine, copied the files). These are very simple textfiles, basically I
write the date, and 10-20 lines for my accomplishments for the day - nothing
fancy.

I can open the file in Wordpad, I can read the text, the word I need is
there, with spaces before and after, but if I do a search in Explorer, it
will not find it!

Each month I use the same template to create the next month's file, so I am
not creating something from scratch. This file lists all the dates to save
me time typing them in, and was created years ago. I open it and do a save
as each new month.

What has changed in Wordpad to make the files unsearchable through Windows
Explorer?

Thanks,
Mich
7 answers Last reply
More about search text wordpad files

    Start > Run and type in without the quotes "regedit". Navigate to:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]

    and click on "+". You'll see a list of subkeys. Click on the key above and then Edit > New > Click and write the name "PersistentHandler". When created, clik con this new key and you'll see a vale named "(default)". Right click on it > Modify and literally write:

    {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

    Reboot WIndows. IMPORTANT NOTE. if there is yet a subkey named "PersistenHandler" when you spread the main key, *do not change it*. In this case, what I have said will not help you.

    --
    www.fermu.com
    ¡Regístrate y participa!

    "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> escribió en el mensaje news:u0uS3zwhFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Each day I open a file in Wordpad and keep track of what I am working on.
    > At the end of the month I start a new file, e.g. "JournalJul05.doc". Today
    > I decided to search for text in these files (going back 6 years) for a
    > particular word to find out when I did a certain task. I know I did it this
    > year.
    >
    > However, the Windows Explorer search function will only find text within the
    > files I created before I moved to Windows XP Pro about 6 months ago (newer
    > machine, copied the files). These are very simple textfiles, basically I
    > write the date, and 10-20 lines for my accomplishments for the day - nothing
    > fancy.
    >
    > I can open the file in Wordpad, I can read the text, the word I need is
    > there, with spaces before and after, but if I do a search in Explorer, it
    > will not find it!
    >
    > Each month I use the same template to create the next month's file, so I am
    > not creating something from scratch. This file lists all the dates to save
    > me time typing them in, and was created years ago. I open it and do a save
    > as each new month.
    >
    > What has changed in Wordpad to make the files unsearchable through Windows
    > Explorer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mich

    That key already exists, with a value of:
    {98de59a0-d175-11cd-a7bd-00006b827d94}

    Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mich

    "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
    Start > Run and type in without the quotes "regedit". Navigate to:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]

    and click on "+". You'll see a list of subkeys. Click on the key above and
    then Edit > New > Click and write the name "PersistentHandler". When
    created, clik con this new key and you'll see a vale named "(default)".
    Right click on it > Modify and literally write:

    {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

    Reboot WIndows. IMPORTANT NOTE. if there is yet a subkey named
    "PersistenHandler" when you spread the main key, *do not change it*. In this
    case, what I have said will not help you.

    --
    www.fermu.com
    ¡Regístrate y participa!

    "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Each day I open a file in Wordpad and keep track of what I am working on.
    > At the end of the month I start a new file, e.g. "JournalJul05.doc".
    > Today
    > I decided to search for text in these files (going back 6 years) for a
    > particular word to find out when I did a certain task. I know I did it
    > this
    > year.
    >
    > However, the Windows Explorer search function will only find text within
    > the
    > files I created before I moved to Windows XP Pro about 6 months ago (newer
    > machine, copied the files). These are very simple textfiles, basically I
    > write the date, and 10-20 lines for my accomplishments for the day -
    > nothing
    > fancy.
    >
    > I can open the file in Wordpad, I can read the text, the word I need is
    > there, with spaces before and after, but if I do a search in Explorer, it
    > will not find it!
    >
    > Each month I use the same template to create the next month's file, so I
    > am
    > not creating something from scratch. This file lists all the dates to
    > save
    > me time typing them in, and was created years ago. I open it and do a
    > save
    > as each new month.
    >
    > What has changed in Wordpad to make the files unsearchable through Windows
    > Explorer?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mich

    {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} is the Plain-text filter

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
    > That key already exists, with a value of:
    > {98de59a0-d175-11cd-a7bd-00006b827d94}
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    > Thanks,
    > Mich
    >

    > "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
    > Start > Run and type in without the quotes "regedit". Navigate to:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
    >
    > and click on "+". You'll see a list of subkeys. Click on the key above and
    > then Edit > New > Click and write the name "PersistentHandler". When
    > created, clik con this new key and you'll see a vale named "(default)".
    > Right click on it > Modify and literally write:
    >

    > {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
    >
    > Reboot WIndows. IMPORTANT NOTE. if there is yet a subkey named
    > "PersistenHandler" when you spread the main key, *do not change it*. In
    > this case, what I have said will not help you.
    >

    > --
    > www.fermu.com
    > ¡Regístrate y participa!
    >

    > "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> escribió en el mensaje
    >> Each day I open a file in Wordpad and keep track of what I am working on.
    >> At the end of the month I start a new file, e.g. "JournalJul05.doc".
    >> Today
    >> I decided to search for text in these files (going back 6 years) for a
    >> particular word to find out when I did a certain task. I know I did it
    >> this
    >> year.
    >>
    >> However, the Windows Explorer search function will only find text within
    >> the
    >> files I created before I moved to Windows XP Pro about 6 months ago
    >> (newer
    >> machine, copied the files). These are very simple textfiles, basically I
    >> write the date, and 10-20 lines for my accomplishments for the day -
    >> nothing
    >> fancy.
    >>
    >> I can open the file in Wordpad, I can read the text, the word I need is
    >> there, with spaces before and after, but if I do a search in Explorer, it
    >> will not find it!
    >>
    >> Each month I use the same template to create the next month's file, so I
    >> am
    >> not creating something from scratch. This file lists all the dates to
    >> save
    >> me time typing them in, and was created years ago. I open it and do a
    >> save
    >> as each new month.
    >>
    >> What has changed in Wordpad to make the files unsearchable through
    >> Windows
    >> Explorer?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Mich

    This works! Thank-you so much. The only reason I keep this journal is
    because of the ability to search through them for information about tasks I
    have completed, and when.
    Out of curiosity, where else could I have found this key setting, and what
    was the other one's purpose?
    Mich

    Ref : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173/EN-US/

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/indexsrv/html/ixufilt_8l6b.asp

    --

    > This works! Thank-you so much. The only reason I keep this journal is
    > because of the ability to search through them for information about tasks
    > I have completed, and when.
    > Out of curiosity, where else could I have found this key setting, and what
    > was the other one's purpose?
    > Mich
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} is the Plain-text filter
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
    >>> That key already exists, with a value of:
    >>> {98de59a0-d175-11cd-a7bd-00006b827d94}
    >>>
    >>> Any other ideas?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Mich
    >>>

    >>> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
    >>> Start > Run and type in without the quotes "regedit". Navigate to:
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
    >>>
    >>> and click on "+". You'll see a list of subkeys. Click on the key above
    >>> and then Edit > New > Click and write the name "PersistentHandler". When
    >>> created, clik con this new key and you'll see a vale named "(default)".
    >>> Right click on it > Modify and literally write:
    >>>

    >>> {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}
    >>>
    >>> Reboot WIndows. IMPORTANT NOTE. if there is yet a subkey named
    >>> "PersistenHandler" when you spread the main key, *do not change it*. In
    >>> this case, what I have said will not help you.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> www.fermu.com
    >>> ¡Regístrate y participa!
    >>>

    >>> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> escribió en el mensaje

    I think I search the Microsoft site in inefficent ways, "A word or phrase in
    the file" was there but wasn't the search term I used.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Mich

    YW Mich.

    --

    >I think I search the Microsoft site in inefficent ways, "A word or phrase
    >in the file" was there but wasn't the search term I used.
    > Thanks for the insight.
    > Mich
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Ref : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173/EN-US/
    >>
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/indexsrv/html/ixufilt_8l6b.asp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
    >>> This works! Thank-you so much. The only reason I keep this journal is
    >>> because of the ability to search through them for information about
    >>> tasks I have completed, and when.
    >>> Out of curiosity, where else could I have found this key setting, and
    >>> what was the other one's purpose?
    >>> Mich
    >>>
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Windows XP