Automatic setting of read only on folders and files

Not sure if I have posted in the right place. So sorry if I have. I have a
problem with read only settings. All my files and folders have been setup
as read only and so this is stopping me deleting things. I am unable to
change this in the properties and I am trying to use the suggestion in
KB326549 and this is not working.

What would be casuing this issue?

Many thanks for any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about automatic setting read folders files

    Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.

    The Read-only check box for folders is there for convenience, it allows you
    to change the Read-only attribute of all the files contained in that folder.
    ---

    [[Apply the read-only attribute to folder contents

    A folder itself cannot be made read-only. Nevertheless, the properties
    dialog box for a folder does include a read-only check box. You can use
    this check box to set or clear the read-only attribute for all existing
    files in the selected folder. This action has no bearing on files that you
    create subsequently.

    In most cases, when you open the properties dialog box for a folder, the
    Read-Only check box will contain a green square. This indicates either a
    mixed or undetermined condition. Windows displays this green square because
    it would take too long to check the state of the read-only attribute for
    every file in the folder. To apply the read-only attribute to the contents
    of a folder, click the check box until a check mark appears. To clear the
    attribute, click the check box until it is empty. When you leave the dialog
    box, Windows asks whether you want to apply your action to subfolders and
    files. Be sure you select this option; if you select Apply Changes To This
    Folder Only, nothing at all happens.]]
    From...
    Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out Deluxe, Second Edition
    Author Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, Craig Stinson
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=216cbfc3-ff30-42db-9c32-995a75dfafbe&type=ovr

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DB299529-F4D5-41FF-92A2-A4D3142AF45D@microsoft.com,
    vickietots <vickietots@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Not sure if I have posted in the right place. So sorry if I have. I
    > have a problem with read only settings. All my files and folders have
    > been setup as read only and so this is stopping me deleting things. I
    > am unable to change this in the properties and I am trying to use the
    > suggestion in KB326549 and this is not working.
    >
    > What would be casuing this issue?
    >
    > Many thanks for any help.

    Thanks for this, but it did not solve my problem. All my files have been
    set as read only, some of the file names are now blue in colour. Every time
    I right click on a file I get an error message which I am unable to find on
    the knowledge base. I have run a virus scan spyware check. Not sure what
    else I can do. I have tried the take ownership solution but even in safe
    mode I can't right click on files and I have full permissions for all my
    folders.

    many thanks,

    Vickie

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.
    >
    > The Read-only check box for folders is there for convenience, it allows you
    > to change the Read-only attribute of all the files contained in that folder.
    > ---
    >
    > [[Apply the read-only attribute to folder contents
    >
    > A folder itself cannot be made read-only. Nevertheless, the properties
    > dialog box for a folder does include a read-only check box. You can use
    > this check box to set or clear the read-only attribute for all existing
    > files in the selected folder. This action has no bearing on files that you
    > create subsequently.
    >
    > In most cases, when you open the properties dialog box for a folder, the
    > Read-Only check box will contain a green square. This indicates either a
    > mixed or undetermined condition. Windows displays this green square because
    > it would take too long to check the state of the read-only attribute for
    > every file in the folder. To apply the read-only attribute to the contents
    > of a folder, click the check box until a check mark appears. To clear the
    > attribute, click the check box until it is empty. When you leave the dialog
    > box, Windows asks whether you want to apply your action to subfolders and
    > files. Be sure you select this option; if you select Apply Changes To This
    > Folder Only, nothing at all happens.]]
    > From...
    > Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out Deluxe, Second Edition
    > Author Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, Craig Stinson
    > http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=216cbfc3-ff30-42db-9c32-995a75dfafbe&type=ovr
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DB299529-F4D5-41FF-92A2-A4D3142AF45D@microsoft.com,
    > vickietots <vickietots@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Not sure if I have posted in the right place. So sorry if I have. I
    > > have a problem with read only settings. All my files and folders have
    > > been setup as read only and so this is stopping me deleting things. I
    > > am unable to change this in the properties and I am trying to use the
    > > suggestion in KB326549 and this is not working.
    > >
    > > What would be casuing this issue?
    > >
    > > Many thanks for any help.

    Vickie,

    Files or folders that are blue in color are usually compressed files.

    Why does Explorer display some files in blue color and some in green?
    http://www.winxptutor.com/filecolor.htm

    What is the error message that you get when you right click a file?

    Where are these files located?

    This explains a little about Compressed Files...
    How To Use File Compression in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307987

    This explains a little about Compressed Files...
    File compression overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ff_file_compress_overview.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.