Slow file system on XP through Explorer

Hi,
I bought a new IBM T43 laptop about two months. Recently, I found out it is
very slow to display expand folder under Explorer. For an example, if I
open Explorer then trying to expand C drive then I have to wait about a
minute to see contents. I closed most of unnecessary applications and
verify "Enable write cache" on hard drive" is enable through device manager.
I will be appeciated if you may advise me how to trouble shoot this kind of
problem.

Johnny Chow
3 answers Last reply
More about slow file system explorer

    Johnny, you should check for malware. Use these free websites

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.webroot.com/

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I bought a new IBM T43 laptop about two months. Recently, I found out it
    > is very slow to display expand folder under Explorer. For an example, if
    > I open Explorer then trying to expand C drive then I have to wait about a
    > minute to see contents. I closed most of unnecessary applications and
    > verify "Enable write cache" on hard drive" is enable through device
    > manager. I will be appeciated if you may advise me how to trouble shoot
    > this kind of problem.
    >

    > Johnny Chow

    You may try a defragmentation of your hard disk.
    Have you installed any codecs package?

    --
    www.fermu.com
    ¡Regístrate y participa!

    "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje news:e1o8J8whFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    > I bought a new IBM T43 laptop about two months. Recently, I found out it is
    > very slow to display expand folder under Explorer. For an example, if I
    > open Explorer then trying to expand C drive then I have to wait about a
    > minute to see contents. I closed most of unnecessary applications and
    > verify "Enable write cache" on hard drive" is enable through device manager.
    > I will be appeciated if you may advise me how to trouble shoot this kind of
    > problem.
    >

    > Johnny Chow

    Thanks all,
    I used Hijackthis utility to disable some unknow software and services. I
    also used those spyware utilites to clean the rest. It worked out great.

    Thanks,

    Johnny Chow

    "Johnny Chow" <jchow10@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I bought a new IBM T43 laptop about two months. Recently, I found out it
    > is very slow to display expand folder under Explorer. For an example, if
    > I open Explorer then trying to expand C drive then I have to wait about a
    > minute to see contents. I closed most of unnecessary applications and
    > verify "Enable write cache" on hard drive" is enable through device
    > manager. I will be appeciated if you may advise me how to trouble shoot
    > this kind of problem.
    >

    > Johnny Chow

File System Explorer Windows XP