I've just hand-built an Athlon 64 system yesterday, however, I'm experiencing some serious issues with it. I'm wondering if people are experiencing similar problems.
1) Counter-strike 1.6 (Steam), and Quake2 refuses to run but Jedi Academy, Raven Shield, NFS Underground, and 3DMark2003 runs flawlessly.
2) Cannot enable the Cool'n'Quiet feature even though Asus claims to support it. I cannot find the "CPU" under "Device Manager" to install the necessary driver from AMD. I've already enabled the Cool'n'Quiet and ACPI 2.0 options in BIOS.
3) Windows does not automatically shutdown, but instead, it brings me to the "Windows is now safe to be shutdown" screen. And when I press the power button on the case the computer shuts down HARD without any windows shutdown processes.
I'm really having trouble identifying the root of the problem. I need your help and suggestions! Thanks.
This is my system spec & setup:
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+
-Asus K8V Deluxe
-512MB Kingston KVR400X64C3 DDR400
-ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
-Maxtor Diamondmax 9 120GB SATA
-Antec Sonata w/TruePower380 power supply
-Windows XP SP1
-ATI Catalyst 3.10
-VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.51
You must do the following to get CoolnQuiet to run with an Asus MoBo and Athalon 64 Chip.
1. Enable CoolnQuet in your Mobo's bios.
2. Download the CnQ program from AMD and install.
3. Download latest "chip" driver from AMD and install.
4. Place your puter on "minimal power" settings through the desktop menu.
Then open up AsusProbe (or any other real time system hardware monitoring program), run a graphic's intensive program (I use IL2 Sturmovik "Forgotten Battles)play for a while. When you finish the game bring up the monitor program and watch the VCore voltage on the chip DROP from 1.550 to around 1.104. This drop causes my chip temp to drop from a high of 57* Celcius to 35* Celcius in about 75 seconds flat.
Hope this helps.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.