Sign in with
Your question

Proxy Server Business?

Last response: in Business Computing
September 11, 2012 6:46:44 AM

Hello THG IT Pros,

dogman_1234 here with a quick(hopefully) question.

I have an idea of a business model.

What if I charge a monthly fee to operate proxy servers to help aid internet integrity for people in my area?

Just a silly thought; however, would like to see what you guys think and how I would go about building such server(s).

Thank You for your time.

More about : proxy server business

September 11, 2012 7:00:17 AM

For starters, what do you mean by internet integrity?
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:19:28 AM

It's relatively easy but be forewarned: Don't take on too many users too fast that end up swamping your servers before you make enough money to upgrade them. Otherwise, you could do this in your basement if you wanted to. Start with like 4 servers and another as backup and one or two cable modems and off you go. Make sure to factor in electricity as part of your charges as some people forget. Legal aspect: Make sure you put it out when people sign up that you are not responsible for anything that goes on like loss of data, pirateing etc etc... talk to a lawyer that is familiar with internet commerce... You may have to buy a business license as well, consult with local better business bureau... Off you go... happy entrepreneurship!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 11, 2012 1:44:26 PM

Don't you mean anonymity - There are already quite a few anonymous proxy services, a lot of them free.
m
l
September 11, 2012 3:23:30 PM

Herr_Koos said:
For starters, what do you mean by internet integrity?

I meant anonymity...sorry.

memadmax said:
It's relatively easy but be forewarned: Don't take on too many users too fast that end up swamping your servers before you make enough money to upgrade them. Otherwise, you could do this in your basement if you wanted to. Start with like 4 servers and another as backup and one or two cable modems and off you go. Make sure to factor in electricity as part of your charges as some people forget. Legal aspect: Make sure you put it out when people sign up that you are not responsible for anything that goes on like loss of data, pirateing etc etc... talk to a lawyer that is familiar with internet commerce... You may have to buy a business license as well, consult with local better business bureau... Off you go... happy entrepreneurship!

Thank You. Great information!
Quote:
Don't you mean anonymity - There are already quite a few anonymous proxy services, a lot of them free.

What can I offer that they do not have? Ever use a proxy and had something go wrong or a service they just could not do free?
m
l
!