Cannot connect to VPN using fido gprs

Last response: in Network Providers
August 20, 2005 3:24:06 PM

Hi all,

I used to be able to use my fido gprs phone to establish a connection
to our corporate vpn.

After the merger with rogers and me updating my plan to the 50 dollar
unlimited data usage, I cannot connect to the vpn server any longer.

The connection gets established and it gets to the point where the
username and password is being verified , at that point the connection
just hangs for around 5 minutes returning with an error stating that
the computer i am connecting to is not responding.

I have since tried this with bell mobility and telus mobility air cards
and in both instances the connection works fine. So it has nothing to
do with our vpn itself.

Now Fido has been very unhelpful in this matter saying they don't
support vpns and just passing the buck. If anyone has found a solution
to this problem or experieced the same issue or knows why I would be
really grateful if you could share this with me.

Regards,
Rob

More about : connect vpn fido gprs

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:05:19 AM

r_stringer66@yahoo.com wrote:
> After the merger with rogers and me updating my plan to the 50 dollar
> unlimited data usage, I cannot connect to the vpn server any longer.

I just tried to connect to my mail server from my handset. The IP
address that came in was 205.205.80.240
and it belongs to a compamy called

OrgName: Metrix Interlink Inc.
OrgID: ILI
Address: 630 Boul. Rene-Levesque Ouest
Address: Suite 2300
City: Montreal
StateProv: QC
PostalCode: H3B-1S6
Country: CA

NetRange: 205.205.0.0 - 205.205.255.255

This company was acquired by MCI which was bought by the .com vapourware
company Worldcom, renamed to MCI to hide the shame of worldcom and then
due to incompetant leader (Capellas) is being bought by Verizon.

Going through the WAP gateway yields 205.205.80.30 as client, again MCI
territory. On and before august 16th, WAP requests came from
aegis.fido.ca ( 204.92.15.223). So something major was changed between
those 2 dates.

emails send from handset via smtp.fido.ca still get delivered to the
destination by aegis.fido.ca (204.92.15.223).

Note that none of the 205.205.80 adresses I have seen reverse translate.
So if/when they change aegis to be in a 205.20-5 Ip it is likely that
emails sent from handsets will bounce because receiving servers will
treat them as spam (due to IP not reverse translatable).

I read/heard that in the case of Rogers, the ability to have real TCPIP
IPs requires a business account and special fee, otherwise you are
NATted through a router. Having not your own IP, it becomes very
difficult to do serous VPN stuff.

Fido had a real advantage over Rogers (then called AT&T) since Fido gave
real internet IPs to handsets.

Now, if you have 2 handsets on Fido, you might want to get both to
connect to your corporate server at once, and look at the logs to see if
they are given different IPs or if they come in via the same IP due to
NAT or even worse, some proxy.

Something has definitely changed with regards to GPRS. But not sure
exactly what changes were made. It could be just servers being moved to
another network but running the same configs , or it could be something
very different.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 5:41:32 AM

In message <1124562246.036134.81990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
r_stringer66@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I used to be able to use my fido gprs phone to establish a connection
>to our corporate vpn.
>
>After the merger with rogers and me updating my plan to the 50 dollar
>unlimited data usage, I cannot connect to the vpn server any longer.
>
>The connection gets established and it gets to the point where the
>username and password is being verified , at that point the connection
>just hangs for around 5 minutes returning with an error stating that
>the computer i am connecting to is not responding.
>
>I have since tried this with bell mobility and telus mobility air cards
>and in both instances the connection works fine. So it has nothing to
>do with our vpn itself.
>
>Now Fido has been very unhelpful in this matter saying they don't
>support vpns and just passing the buck. If anyone has found a solution
>to this problem or experieced the same issue or knows why I would be
>really grateful if you could share this with me.

What type of VPN?

--
Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts
have no place in organized religion.