Cannot connect to VPN using fido gprs

Hi all,

I used to be able to use my fido gprs phone to establish a connection
to our corporate vpn.

After the merger with rogers and me updating my plan to the 50 dollar
unlimited data usage, I cannot connect to the vpn server any longer.

The connection gets established and it gets to the point where the
username and password is being verified , at that point the connection
just hangs for around 5 minutes returning with an error stating that
the computer i am connecting to is not responding.

I have since tried this with bell mobility and telus mobility air cards
and in both instances the connection works fine. So it has nothing to
do with our vpn itself.

Now Fido has been very unhelpful in this matter saying they don't
support vpns and just passing the buck. If anyone has found a solution
to this problem or experieced the same issue or knows why I would be
really grateful if you could share this with me.

Regards,
Rob
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot connect fido gprs

    r_stringer66@yahoo.com wrote:
    > After the merger with rogers and me updating my plan to the 50 dollar
    > unlimited data usage, I cannot connect to the vpn server any longer.

    I just tried to connect to my mail server from my handset. The IP
    address that came in was 205.205.80.240
    and it belongs to a compamy called

    OrgName: Metrix Interlink Inc.
    OrgID: ILI
    Address: 630 Boul. Rene-Levesque Ouest
    Address: Suite 2300
    City: Montreal
    StateProv: QC
    PostalCode: H3B-1S6
    Country: CA

    NetRange: 205.205.0.0 - 205.205.255.255

    This company was acquired by MCI which was bought by the .com vapourware
    company Worldcom, renamed to MCI to hide the shame of worldcom and then
    due to incompetant leader (Capellas) is being bought by Verizon.

    Going through the WAP gateway yields 205.205.80.30 as client, again MCI
    territory. On and before august 16th, WAP requests came from
    aegis.fido.ca ( 204.92.15.223). So something major was changed between
    those 2 dates.

    emails send from handset via smtp.fido.ca still get delivered to the
    destination by aegis.fido.ca (204.92.15.223).

    Note that none of the 205.205.80 adresses I have seen reverse translate.
    So if/when they change aegis to be in a 205.20-5 Ip it is likely that
    emails sent from handsets will bounce because receiving servers will
    treat them as spam (due to IP not reverse translatable).

    I read/heard that in the case of Rogers, the ability to have real TCPIP
    IPs requires a business account and special fee, otherwise you are
    NATted through a router. Having not your own IP, it becomes very
    difficult to do serous VPN stuff.

    Fido had a real advantage over Rogers (then called AT&T) since Fido gave
    real internet IPs to handsets.

    Now, if you have 2 handsets on Fido, you might want to get both to
    connect to your corporate server at once, and look at the logs to see if
    they are given different IPs or if they come in via the same IP due to
    NAT or even worse, some proxy.

    Something has definitely changed with regards to GPRS. But not sure
    exactly what changes were made. It could be just servers being moved to
    another network but running the same configs , or it could be something
    very different.

    In message <1124562246.036134.81990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
    r_stringer66@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I used to be able to use my fido gprs phone to establish a connection
    >to our corporate vpn.
    >
    >After the merger with rogers and me updating my plan to the 50 dollar
    >unlimited data usage, I cannot connect to the vpn server any longer.
    >
    >The connection gets established and it gets to the point where the
    >username and password is being verified , at that point the connection
    >just hangs for around 5 minutes returning with an error stating that
    >the computer i am connecting to is not responding.
    >
    >I have since tried this with bell mobility and telus mobility air cards
    >and in both instances the connection works fine. So it has nothing to
    >do with our vpn itself.
    >
    >Now Fido has been very unhelpful in this matter saying they don't
    >support vpns and just passing the buck. If anyone has found a solution
    >to this problem or experieced the same issue or knows why I would be
    >really grateful if you could share this with me.

    What type of VPN?

    --
    Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts
    have no place in organized religion.

Fido Connection vpn Internet Service Providers