svchost problems

Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.

The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).

The pop up window looks like this:
Svchost.exe - Application error

The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
The memory could not be written.

Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program

I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
doesn’t appear again.

It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?
4 answers Last reply
More about svchost problems

    You need this update fix from MS WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU.
    If you set up error reporting in computer management, services area, to
    automatic the next time it happens just send the error report to MS and they
    will automatically direct you to the patch.

    "gwmon" wrote:

    > Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
    > application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.
    >
    > The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
    > it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).
    >
    > The pop up window looks like this:
    > Svchost.exe - Application error
    >
    > The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    > The memory could not be written.
    >
    > Click OK to terminate the program
    > Click CANCEL to debug the program
    >
    > I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
    > doesn’t appear again.
    >
    > It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
    > debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
    > even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
    > after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
    > terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?

    You can also enable error reporting by right clicking on my computer,
    properties, advanced, error reporting, then just check both boxes or adjust
    to your needs by choosing programs.

    "gwmon" wrote:

    > Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
    > application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.
    >
    > The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
    > it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).
    >
    > The pop up window looks like this:
    > Svchost.exe - Application error
    >
    > The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    > The memory could not be written.
    >
    > Click OK to terminate the program
    > Click CANCEL to debug the program
    >
    > I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
    > doesn’t appear again.
    >
    > It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
    > debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
    > even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
    > after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
    > terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?

    Jaymon,

    I installed this patch (I have the exact same error) and the problem still
    exists.

    Next? :)

    Dave

    "Jaymon" wrote:

    > You need this update fix from MS WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU.
    > If you set up error reporting in computer management, services area, to
    > automatic the next time it happens just send the error report to MS and they
    > will automatically direct you to the patch.

    > "gwmon" wrote:
    >

    > > Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
    > > application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.
    > >
    > > The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
    > > it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).
    > >
    > > The pop up window looks like this:
    > > Svchost.exe - Application error
    > >
    > > The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    > > The memory could not be written.
    > >
    > > Click OK to terminate the program
    > > Click CANCEL to debug the program
    > >
    > > I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
    > > doesn’t appear again.
    > >
    > > It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
    > > debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
    > > even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
    > > after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
    > > terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?

    Well, I'm not sure myself on this issue and I will have to defer you to the
    standard cop out, unless others have a quick link or suggestion..Sorry..

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Svchost.exe+-+Application+error

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033
    j;-|

    "-=CMD=-" wrote:

    > Jaymon,
    >
    > I installed this patch (I have the exact same error) and the problem still
    > exists.
    >
    > Next? :)
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Jaymon" wrote:
    >
    > > You need this update fix from MS WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU.
    > > If you set up error reporting in computer management, services area, to
    > > automatic the next time it happens just send the error report to MS and they
    > > will automatically direct you to the patch.

    > > "gwmon" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
    > > > application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.
    > > >
    > > > The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
    > > > it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).
    > > >
    > > > The pop up window looks like this:
    > > > ___________________________________________________________________
    > > > Svchost.exe - Application error
    > > >
    > > > The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    > > > The memory could not be written.
    > > >
    > > > Click OK to terminate the program
    > > > Click CANCEL to debug the program
    > > >
    > > > I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
    > > > doesn’t appear again.
    > > >
    > > > It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
    > > > debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
    > > > even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
    > > > after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
    > > > terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?

Windows XP