Repeatedly accessing hardisk in a splitsecond every 1 seco..

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Hi. I have a little problem. I can hear that some proces is repeatedly
accessing my harddisk. It takes a split second but is repeated every ½
to 1 second. It is very annoying - anyone have an idea?

On 12 Jul 2005 13:44:46 -0700, kim.z@sol.dk (Mick) wrote:

>Hi. I have a little problem. I can hear that some proces is repeatedly
>accessing my harddisk. It takes a split second but is repeated every ½
>to 1 second. It is very annoying - anyone have an idea?

I and a chap called 'gx' have a similar problem so if you find a
solution please let us know! (we'll return the courtesy of course)>

I posted here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/6b20055ab10decdd/e44c86835b1118d1?q=jorolat+svchost&rnum=1&hl=en#e44c86835b1118d1

and gx here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/493276814ebbef4/cc6f796131cc6465?q=gx+svchost&rnum=1&hl=en#cc6f796131cc6465

Sorry we can't be of further help at the moment.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Mick,

Try Filemon: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Mick" <kim.z@sol.dk> wrote in message
> Hi. I have a little problem. I can hear that some proces is repeatedly
> accessing my harddisk. It takes a split second but is repeated every ½
> to 1 second. It is very annoying - anyone have an idea?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:20:40 +0100, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>On 12 Jul 2005 13:44:46 -0700, kim.z@sol.dk (Mick) wrote:
>
>>Hi. I have a little problem. I can hear that some proces is repeatedly
>>accessing my harddisk. It takes a split second but is repeated every ½
>>to 1 second. It is very annoying - anyone have an idea?
>
>I and a chap called 'gx' have a similar problem so if you find a
>solution please let us know! (we'll return the courtesy of course)>
>
>I posted here:
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/6b20055ab10decdd/e44c86835b1118d1?q=jorolat+svchost&rnum=1&hl=en#e44c86835b1118d1
>
>and gx here:
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/493276814ebbef4/cc6f796131cc6465?q=gx+svchost&rnum=1&hl=en#cc6f796131cc6465
>
>Sorry we can't be of further help at the moment.

Both Gx & my problem involves svchost continually accessing the hard
drive.

I've just installed XP slipstreamed with SP2 onto a new hard drive
(but I'm back on the old OS & HDD now) and as soon as I installed the
modem drivers the svchost disc activity started. I uninstalled the
drivers & the problem went away.

I ain't gotta clue why this is so & it'll be a few days before I can
spend some time on it. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas I'ld
be glad to hear them!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:39:28 +0100, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:20:40 +0100, John Latter
><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 12 Jul 2005 13:44:46 -0700, kim.z@sol.dk (Mick) wrote:
>>
>>>Hi. I have a little problem. I can hear that some proces is repeatedly
>>>accessing my harddisk. It takes a split second but is repeated every ½
>>>to 1 second. It is very annoying - anyone have an idea?
>>
>>I and a chap called 'gx' have a similar problem so if you find a
>>solution please let us know! (we'll return the courtesy of course)>
>>
>>I posted here:
>>
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/6b20055ab10decdd/e44c86835b1118d1?q=jorolat+svchost&rnum=1&hl=en#e44c86835b1118d1
>>
>>and gx here:
>>
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/493276814ebbef4/cc6f796131cc6465?q=gx+svchost&rnum=1&hl=en#cc6f796131cc6465
>>
>>Sorry we can't be of further help at the moment.
>
>Both Gx & my problem involves svchost continually accessing the hard
>drive.
>
>I've just installed XP slipstreamed with SP2 onto a new hard drive
>(but I'm back on the old OS & HDD now) and as soon as I installed the
>modem drivers the svchost disc activity started. I uninstalled the
>drivers & the problem went away.
>
>I ain't gotta clue why this is so & it'll be a few days before I can
>spend some time on it. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas I'ld
>be glad to hear them!

This could account for my problem;

"I/O doesn't necessarily refer to your hard drive. Input and output of
data are also part of the normal functioning of your modem, which
would be my guess at the cause of the numbers you are watching."

Hope to check it out at the weekend.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Hi Ramesh

Thanks!!
Filemon gave the answer. Spyware Doctor was te reason.

Have a nice weekend

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#3elEX1hFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Mick,
>
> Try Filemon: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mick" <kim.z@sol.dk> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have a little problem. I can hear that some proces is repeatedly
> > accessing my harddisk. It takes a split second but is repeated every ½
> > to 1 second. It is very annoying - anyone have an idea?

Very good.