Radeon 32mb DDR for $88 and free shipping!!! WTF?

G

It's a special version, it runs at 148Mhz both core and memory, it comes without a fan and has hyperZ disabled.

But it is still a great bang for the buck, they seem to be pretty overclockable (more than standard Radeons) and you can reenable hyperZ adding registry entries.

I found this information in the following forum (you should have a look at it):

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=9240" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=9240</A>

G

thanks for the info. This card looks really good for the price. If I can enable HyperZ and overclock this baby it should be as good as a normal Radeon 32mb DDR.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the ATI Radeons and Via Apollo Pro series chipsets?

G

keep in mind the readon has alot of issues with mboards and cpus... not really a gamers card.. ati is only known for the dvd decoding thier gaming is WEAK

dhlucke

Polypheme
How in the world did you figure that out? With all the different versions one could really go wrong. Is there some place where we can see all the different types of Ati,GeForce, etc videocards so that we don't buy what we don't want?

G

I've done quite a bit of research lately on video cards too and have learned a few things about Radeons. The 32mg DDR version is a much more degraded version than the 64mg DDR. One of the best features was removed, the HyperZ. That feature is what allows the card to create 32 bit color for 3d at high resolutions and allows for very high frames per second. The memory was also downgraded and doesn't perform at the same n/s as the 64mg DDR Radeon. Both the core voltage and memory voltage are lower than that of the 64mg version too. I also think that the Radeons are incapable of being overclocked as well.

The 64mg DDR Radeon though is well worth the money at about $200 and has all the most current features available from ATI.

Plain and simple, if you ask me, definitely go for something else like a Creative Labs 3d Blaster Annihilator Pro with 32mg DDR, which has the GeForce 256 GPU. But if you're looking for a little better, then the GeForce 2 core is gets even better, and the GeForce 2 GTS is even better.

And another little tip, for the easiest search I've found for mega-cheap stuff, use Pricewatch. (www.pricewatch.com). This is where I've found all the best stuff.

G

Come on, haven't you seen any reviews of Radeon DDR 32Mb against Geforce2 GTS 32Mb???????

The Radeon is better than the Geforce2 in high-res (from 1024x768) and 32 bit color. No review I have seen can deny this.

And those problems with mobos... sooner or later there will be workarounds for them.