system file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft ..

Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try to
open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?
4 answers Last reply
More about system file suitable running microsoft

    "Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I
    > try to
    > open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    > The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
    > applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone
    > help?

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    Windows-based program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    --
    William

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Or %systemroot%\Repair to %systemroot%\System32

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    "16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

    Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B5DB2585-5CEF-4F44-A630-28E10A0A3081@microsoft.com,
    Angie <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try
    > to open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    > The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
    > applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?

    Have a look here..
    "Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
    Program"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    "Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try
    > open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    > The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
    > applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314495

    How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Angie" wrote:

    | Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try to
    | open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
    | The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
    | applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?

MS-DOS System File Microsoft Windows XP