system file not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft ..

July 12, 2005 6:47:02 PM

Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try to
open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:20:38 PM

"Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I
> try to
> open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
> The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
> applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone
> help?

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

--
William
Anonymous

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Or %systemroot%\Repair to %systemroot%\System32

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B5DB2585-5CEF-4F44-A630-28E10A0A3081@microsoft.com,
Angie <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try
> to open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
> The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
> applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?
Related resources
July 12, 2005 9:20:24 PM

Have a look here..
"Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based
Program"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

"Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to dowload and open a pattern book I bought online,everytime I try
> open,it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
> The system file is not suitable bor running MS-DOS and microsoft
> applications.Choose close to terminate.I run Windows XP.Can anyone help?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:21:15 PM

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

How to Troubleshoot 16-Bit Windows Programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314495

How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP