Transferring XP to new machine

ruefus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've heard all sorts of stories about XP and the EULA. I'm upgrading to an all-new machine - which will obviously require the installation of a new OS. I have a legitimate copy of XP Pro and want to use it on the new system.

I've not been following the PC market of late - so in that regard, I'm ignorant. To my questions -

The old system will be torn down, cannibalized & formatted. I will NOT be using my copy of XP on two machines.

#1 – Is transferring the OS to the new machine a legitimate use of the software?

#2 – Never mind legitimacy – can it even be done? If so - how?

Lead me not into temptation. I can get there myself.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
you can legitely install win xp in your new computer as long as you uninstall it in your old computer. I wouldnt recommend "transfering" a xp installation to another computer, since you may get hardware errors. just do a clean install on your new computer.

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

G

#1 – Is transferring the OS to the new machine a legitimate use of the software?
You bought it, it's yours. The only problem that you might have is if you have an OEM version, that's on a recovery CD. ie: If you have a Hewlett Packard or Compaq recovery cd with XP on it.

#2 – Never mind legitimacy – can it even be done? If so - how?
Just boot from the CD and follow the instructions.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
lol i like you klutz, you're raw and straight-to-the-point

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: