upgraded to XP form 98SE and my hard drive space is gone! ..

I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive space, I
upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive (C:)clean first
which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP SP2 and NO applications
besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB free space... what is eating up all
my hard drive space, and how can I recover the space?

with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had free hard
drive space at 2GB!
thanks to all who can help! :)
5 answers Last reply
More about upgraded form 98se hard drive space gone

    Apparently, you did not perform a "clean install' correctly!

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Blue" wrote:

    | I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive space, I
    | upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive (C:)clean first
    | which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP SP2 and NO applications
    | besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB free space... what is eating up all
    | my hard drive space, and how can I recover the space?
    |
    | with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had free hard
    | drive space at 2GB!
    | thanks to all who can help! :)

    is there a way to have a clean install now?
    to reclaim space on my hard drive? I did chose the "upgrade" option when I
    installed XP.. thanks for responding! :)

    Blue wrote:
    > I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive
    > space, I upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive
    > (C:)clean first which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP
    > SP2 and NO applications besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB
    > free space... what is eating up all my hard drive space, and how can
    > I recover the space?
    >
    > with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had
    > free hard drive space at 2GB!
    > thanks to all who can help! :)

    Windows XP should take up 800MB to about 1.6GB. Depending on your
    PageFile - that could add another 1GB used. Then Office XP likely takes up
    200MB to 500MB more space. And System Restores can build up fast as well.
    It goes quickly.

    I would buy another hard drive if 4.87GB is all you have. I cannot even
    imagine the rest of the specs on that computer.

    If you use something like "SequoiaView" and scan your drive (the one with
    the issue) - do you find any large visible areas that you could remove? (
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ )

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Yes, regroup and proceed with a clean install.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Blue" wrote:

    | is there a way to have a clean install now?
    | to reclaim space on my hard drive? I did chose the "upgrade" option when I
    | installed XP.. thanks for responding! :)

    thank you Shenan and Carey! :)

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Blue wrote:
    > > I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive
    > > space, I upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive
    > > (C:)clean first which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP
    > > SP2 and NO applications besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB
    > > free space... what is eating up all my hard drive space, and how can
    > > I recover the space?
    > >
    > > with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had
    > > free hard drive space at 2GB!
    > > thanks to all who can help! :)
    >
    > Windows XP should take up 800MB to about 1.6GB. Depending on your
    > PageFile - that could add another 1GB used. Then Office XP likely takes up
    > 200MB to 500MB more space. And System Restores can build up fast as well.
    > It goes quickly.
    >
    > I would buy another hard drive if 4.87GB is all you have. I cannot even
    > imagine the rest of the specs on that computer.
    >
    > If you use something like "SequoiaView" and scan your drive (the one with
    > the issue) - do you find any large visible areas that you could remove? (
    > http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ )
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP