upgraded to XP form 98SE and my hard drive space is gone! ..

July 12, 2005 10:38:05 PM

I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive space, I
upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive (C:) clean first
which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP SP2 and NO applications
besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB free space... what is eating up all
my hard drive space, and how can I recover the space?

with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had free hard
drive space at 2GB!
thanks to all who can help! :)
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:43:33 AM

Apparently, you did not perform a "clean install' correctly!

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Blue" wrote:

| I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive space, I
| upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive (C:) clean first
| which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP SP2 and NO applications
| besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB free space... what is eating up all
| my hard drive space, and how can I recover the space?
|
| with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had free hard
| drive space at 2GB!
| thanks to all who can help! :)
July 13, 2005 12:43:34 AM

is there a way to have a clean install now?
to reclaim space on my hard drive? I did chose the "upgrade" option when I
installed XP.. thanks for responding! :)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Apparently, you did not perform a "clean install' correctly!
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Blue" wrote:
>
> | I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive space, I
> | upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive (C:) clean first
> | which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP SP2 and NO applications
> | besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB free space... what is eating up all
> | my hard drive space, and how can I recover the space?
> |
> | with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had free hard
> | drive space at 2GB!
> | thanks to all who can help! :)

July 13, 2005 1:02:00 AM

Blue wrote:
> I am hoping that someone can tell me how to recover my hard drive
> space, I upgraded to XP SP2 from Win98SE and I wiped my hard drive
> (C:) clean first which is fat32 at 4.87 GB and after loading WinXP
> SP2 and NO applications besides Office XP I am down to only 900MB
> free space... what is eating up all my hard drive space, and how can
> I recover the space?
>
> with 98SE fully loaded with the same programs and more apps I had
> free hard drive space at 2GB!
> thanks to all who can help! :)

Windows XP should take up 800MB to about 1.6GB. Depending on your
PageFile - that could add another 1GB used. Then Office XP likely takes up
200MB to 500MB more space. And System Restores can build up fast as well.
It goes quickly.

I would buy another hard drive if 4.87GB is all you have. I cannot even
imagine the rest of the specs on that computer.

If you use something like "SequoiaView" and scan your drive (the one with
the issue) - do you find any large visible areas that you could remove? (
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Yes, regroup and proceed with a clean install.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Blue" wrote:

| is there a way to have a clean install now?
| to reclaim space on my hard drive? I did chose the "upgrade" option when I
| installed XP.. thanks for responding! :)
July 14, 2005 9:39:02 PM

thank you Shenan and Carey! :)