Files opening weirdly

All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
4 answers Last reply
More about files opening weirdly

    Try this link..
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
    > Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
    > folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

    Excellent, thanks for the help.

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > Try this link..
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    >
    > "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
    > > Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
    > > folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

    You're welcome..glad it helped. :-)

    > Excellent, thanks for the help.
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this link..
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    >>
    >> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with
    >> > the
    >> > Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
    >> > folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

    Issue: Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
    > Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
    > folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP