Files opening weirdly

July 12, 2005 11:07:03 PM

All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

More about : files opening weirdly

July 13, 2005 1:16:53 AM

Try this link..
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7A8B571-8478-48B9-AF53-6A45C5CB9015@microsoft.com...
> All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
> Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
> folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
July 13, 2005 1:16:54 AM

Excellent, thanks for the help.

"Ricky" wrote:

> Try this link..
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....
>
> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7A8B571-8478-48B9-AF53-6A45C5CB9015@microsoft.com...
> > All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with the
> > Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
> > folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Related resources
July 13, 2005 1:49:59 AM

You're welcome..glad it helped. :-)

> Excellent, thanks for the help.
>
> "Ricky" wrote:
>
>> Try this link..
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....
>>
>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 7A8B571-8478-48B9-AF53-6A45C5CB9015@microsoft.com...
>> > All the folders on my computer are now opening into a new window with
>> > the
>> > Search function. I have to right-click and choose open to get into my
>> > folders. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:19:34 PM

Issue: Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry: