XP Pro OS Wrecked after BIOS upgrade?

Can some explain what would cause a (and this isn't the whole message)
"hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please replace or reinstall" (or something
to that effect). Here's my story. I have DFI Lanarty NF3 250GB
motherboard, and I'm running a mirrored raid across two serial ATA hard
drives. I recently upgraded the BIOS to a newer version. After the
upgrade, and subsequent reboot, everything worked fine. Upon rebooting and
re-entering the BIOS, and switch the BIOS to the Optomized defaults, and
clicking off a few defaults such as onboard sound, and re-enabling the raid
(comes off by default), saving, and rebooting, I got the above message, and
no apparent way to fix it, other than to reinstall the OS? I found several
possible fixes on Microsoft.com, however, all of them seemed to only be
designed at IDE connected drives? While one "fix" did change the error I
got, it did not fix the problem. In the state I was left with, the system
would not get to any point beyond the above error, which does not allow for
access to safe mode. I tried several things as suggested by Microsofts tech
site, using the recovery console and nothing fixed the problem, other than a
complete OS reinstall. I've since gotten back up in running, but would like
anyones input on how to avoid this happening, and what may have caused it?
I'm a system tweaker, and its frustrating for this kind of unexplained stuff
to happen, and now I'm leary about doing future updates. Thanks again for
help or ideas that are provided!

Regards,
Jason

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Hi Jason,
I'd try resetting your PC bios. If I understand you correctly, youe PC
worked after the bios update and the problems started when you activated the
optomised bios settings. Usually a bios has a minimal setting sort of the
opposite of optimal-use that and try to get Windows going. It could be the
PC doesn't like optomised memory timings or some other setting. If minimal
settings work you can always go back into the bios and manually change some
of the performance related settings.

Chelsea

"Jason Mills" <jcmills@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Can some explain what would cause a (and this isn't the whole message)
> "hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please replace or reinstall" (or something
> to that effect). Here's my story. I have DFI Lanarty NF3 250GB
> motherboard, and I'm running a mirrored raid across two serial ATA hard
> drives. I recently upgraded the BIOS to a newer version. After the
> upgrade, and subsequent reboot, everything worked fine. Upon rebooting
> and
> re-entering the BIOS, and switch the BIOS to the Optomized defaults, and
> clicking off a few defaults such as onboard sound, and re-enabling the
> raid
> (comes off by default), saving, and rebooting, I got the above message,
> and
> no apparent way to fix it, other than to reinstall the OS? I found
> several
> possible fixes on Microsoft.com, however, all of them seemed to only be
> designed at IDE connected drives? While one "fix" did change the error I
> got, it did not fix the problem. In the state I was left with, the system
> would not get to any point beyond the above error, which does not allow
> for
> access to safe mode. I tried several things as suggested by Microsofts
> tech
> site, using the recovery console and nothing fixed the problem, other than
> complete OS reinstall. I've since gotten back up in running, but would
> like
> anyones input on how to avoid this happening, and what may have caused it?
> I'm a system tweaker, and its frustrating for this kind of unexplained
> stuff
> to happen, and now I'm leary about doing future updates. Thanks again for
> help or ideas that are provided!
>
> Regards,
> Jason

My problem was, I did reset it back to the default settings, and it still
would not work? And it is running fine on the optomised settings now, after
the reinstall?

Jason

"Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jason,
> I'd try resetting your PC bios. If I understand you correctly, youe PC
> worked after the bios update and the problems started when you activated
> the optomised bios settings. Usually a bios has a minimal setting sort of
> the opposite of optimal-use that and try to get Windows going. It could be
> the PC doesn't like optomised memory timings or some other setting. If
> minimal settings work you can always go back into the bios and manually
> change some of the performance related settings.
>
> Chelsea
>

> "Jason Mills" <jcmills@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> Can some explain what would cause a (and this isn't the whole message)
>> "hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please replace or reinstall" (or
>> something
>> to that effect). Here's my story. I have DFI Lanarty NF3 250GB
>> motherboard, and I'm running a mirrored raid across two serial ATA hard
>> drives. I recently upgraded the BIOS to a newer version. After the
>> upgrade, and subsequent reboot, everything worked fine. Upon rebooting
>> and
>> re-entering the BIOS, and switch the BIOS to the Optomized defaults, and
>> clicking off a few defaults such as onboard sound, and re-enabling the
>> raid
>> (comes off by default), saving, and rebooting, I got the above message,
>> and
>> no apparent way to fix it, other than to reinstall the OS? I found
>> several
>> possible fixes on Microsoft.com, however, all of them seemed to only be
>> designed at IDE connected drives? While one "fix" did change the error I
>> got, it did not fix the problem. In the state I was left with, the
>> system
>> would not get to any point beyond the above error, which does not allow
>> for
>> access to safe mode. I tried several things as suggested by Microsofts
>> tech
>> site, using the recovery console and nothing fixed the problem, other
>> than a
>> complete OS reinstall. I've since gotten back up in running, but would
>> like
>> anyones input on how to avoid this happening, and what may have caused
>> it?
>> I'm a system tweaker, and its frustrating for this kind of unexplained
>> stuff
>> to happen, and now I'm leary about doing future updates. Thanks again
>> for
>> help or ideas that are provided!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason

Anyone else? Thanks!

Jason

> My problem was, I did reset it back to the default settings, and it still
> would not work? And it is running fine on the optomised settings now,
> after
> the reinstall?
>
> Jason
>
> "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jason,
>> I'd try resetting your PC bios. If I understand you correctly, youe PC
>> worked after the bios update and the problems started when you activated
>> the optomised bios settings. Usually a bios has a minimal setting sort of
>> the opposite of optimal-use that and try to get Windows going. It could
>> be the PC doesn't like optomised memory timings or some other setting. If
>> minimal settings work you can always go back into the bios and manually
>> change some of the performance related settings.
>>
>> Chelsea
>>

>> "Jason Mills" <jcmills@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>>> Can some explain what would cause a (and this isn't the whole message)
>>> "hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please replace or reinstall" (or
>>> something
>>> to that effect). Here's my story. I have DFI Lanarty NF3 250GB
>>> motherboard, and I'm running a mirrored raid across two serial ATA hard
>>> drives. I recently upgraded the BIOS to a newer version. After the
>>> upgrade, and subsequent reboot, everything worked fine. Upon rebooting
>>> and
>>> re-entering the BIOS, and switch the BIOS to the Optomized defaults, and
>>> clicking off a few defaults such as onboard sound, and re-enabling the
>>> raid
>>> (comes off by default), saving, and rebooting, I got the above message,
>>> and
>>> no apparent way to fix it, other than to reinstall the OS? I found
>>> several
>>> possible fixes on Microsoft.com, however, all of them seemed to only be
>>> designed at IDE connected drives? While one "fix" did change the error
>>> got, it did not fix the problem. In the state I was left with, the
>>> system
>>> would not get to any point beyond the above error, which does not allow
>>> for
>>> access to safe mode. I tried several things as suggested by Microsofts
>>> tech
>>> site, using the recovery console and nothing fixed the problem, other
>>> than a
>>> complete OS reinstall. I've since gotten back up in running, but would
>>> like
>>> anyones input on how to avoid this happening, and what may have caused
>>> it?
>>> I'm a system tweaker, and its frustrating for this kind of unexplained
>>> stuff
>>> to happen, and now I'm leary about doing future updates. Thanks again
>>> for
>>> help or ideas that are provided!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jason

frodo

My guess is that you changed the APIC setting in the bios (not ACIP, but
APIC, the advanced programable interrupt controller setting). This
setting determines if interrupts above 16 can be used (enabled=yes,
disabled=no). Some web site WRONGLY recommend setting this to disabled.
Idealy (for XP) it should be enabled, tho it is not strictly required.

Regardless, when XP was installed it looked at this setting and choose an
appropriate HAL. If you later change it the HAL will "break". So, you
need to set it back to whatever it was when XP was installed. Changing it
after-the-fact requires an XP Repair-Install to change the HAL.

This "issue" catches lots of AMD users.

Thats me, and avid AMD user. I wander if the optimized defaults alter that
setting from the standard defaults? I'll have to check, and will keep it in
mind when updating a BIOS again. Thanks!

Jason