Removing Second Install of Windows XP Pro

July 13, 2005 1:32:51 AM

Hi, I recently had some difficulties with a Windows XP Pro SP2 installation
to where I was unable to boot into windows in any way. I created a second
install of Windows XP (in a windows2 folder) in order to get network access
back, and back up data and such to another machine. I then, reinstalled
Windows XP to the original folder and got everything back up to date, and
running. I then removed from the boot.ini the second instance of WinXP
(maybe prematurely?). I would like to remove the second windows folder
(windows2) however, any attempt to delete the folder is met with a few
seconds of seeming activity, and then it stops, and the folder remains? No
warning, or cannot delete message or anything. I've tried several ways of
doing it, other than a straight DOS delete because I'm concerned that for
whatever reason, the main XP install is using system files from that
alternate folder, and that is what is causing my issue? Can someone please
provide a little input or advise on what I should/can do? Would like to
have the space back on the HD if possible. Thanks in advance for any and
all help!

Regards,
Jason
July 13, 2005 1:54:20 AM

Maybe this will help..
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

"Jason Mills" <jcmills@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I recently had some difficulties with a Windows XP Pro SP2
> installation
> to where I was unable to boot into windows in any way. I created a second
> install of Windows XP (in a windows2 folder) in order to get network
> access
> back, and back up data and such to another machine. I then, reinstalled
> Windows XP to the original folder and got everything back up to date, and
> running. I then removed from the boot.ini the second instance of WinXP
> (maybe prematurely?). I would like to remove the second windows folder
> (windows2) however, any attempt to delete the folder is met with a few
> seconds of seeming activity, and then it stops, and the folder remains?
> No
> warning, or cannot delete message or anything. I've tried several ways of
> doing it, other than a straight DOS delete because I'm concerned that for
> whatever reason, the main XP install is using system files from that
> alternate folder, and that is what is causing my issue? Can someone
> please
> provide a little input or advise on what I should/can do? Would like to
> have the space back on the HD if possible. Thanks in advance for any and
> all help!
>
> Regards,
> Jason

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:34:17 AM

I don't think that will help, because the second XP install is on the same
partition?

Jason

"Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Maybe this will help..
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20
>
> "Jason Mills" <jcmills@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I recently had some difficulties with a Windows XP Pro SP2
>> installation
>> to where I was unable to boot into windows in any way. I created a
>> second
>> install of Windows XP (in a windows2 folder) in order to get network
>> access
>> back, and back up data and such to another machine. I then, reinstalled
>> Windows XP to the original folder and got everything back up to date, and
>> running. I then removed from the boot.ini the second instance of WinXP
>> (maybe prematurely?). I would like to remove the second windows folder
>> (windows2) however, any attempt to delete the folder is met with a few
>> seconds of seeming activity, and then it stops, and the folder remains?
>> No
>> warning, or cannot delete message or anything. I've tried several ways
>> of
>> doing it, other than a straight DOS delete because I'm concerned that for
>> whatever reason, the main XP install is using system files from that
>> alternate folder, and that is what is causing my issue? Can someone
>> please
>> provide a little input or advise on what I should/can do? Would like to
>> have the space back on the HD if possible. Thanks in advance for any and
>> all help!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason

Anonymous