Right Click Slow - NOT what you think (Open With)

After some help from a previous post and some figuring it out on my own I
have sucesfully add "Open With" back. I did this by looking at too others
computers registry and finding a couple of missing keys that I did not have.
In:
HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With
I made the default value in Open With
{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}

In:
HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With EncryptionMenu
I made the default value in Open With EncryptionMenu
{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}

Now since I added this right-click is sometimes slow, generally when
right-clicking on a file type for the first time in the last minute or less.
Or about every 30 seconds or so regardless of the file type. I am not sure
what the Open With Encryption Menu does, but it seems to have no effect on
right click speed.

Is there a better way to activate the "open with" so I do not get this right
click slow down?
4 answers Last reply
More about right click slow open with

    The default ones (context menu handlers) that comes with XP doe snot cause
    the right-click delay. This in most cases, is caused by 3rd party shell
    extensions.

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4

    ** If the slowness is seen if the system is attached to a network, see:

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After some help from a previous post and some figuring it out on my own I
    > have sucesfully add "Open With" back. I did this by looking at too others
    > computers registry and finding a couple of missing keys that I did not
    > have.
    > In:
    > HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With
    > I made the default value in Open With
    > {09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}
    >
    > In:
    > HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With EncryptionMenu
    > I made the default value in Open With EncryptionMenu
    > {A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}
    >
    > Now since I added this right-click is sometimes slow, generally when
    > right-clicking on a file type for the first time in the last minute or
    > less.
    > Or about every 30 seconds or so regardless of the file type. I am not
    > sure
    > what the Open With Encryption Menu does, but it seems to have no effect on
    > right click speed.
    >
    > Is there a better way to activate the "open with" so I do not get this
    > right
    > click slow down?

    I disabled all context menus with shexview and still had slow right click. I
    then disabled my network connection it still slowed. When I deleted the
    registry entries that I described in the first post the slow right click went
    away.

    Obviously I can just give up on getting open with, because consisten slow
    right clicking is much more of a hassle.

    There must be something that conflicts with the open with entries, OR I did
    not add 100% of the registry entries needed to make open with work 100%
    correctly.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The default ones (context menu handlers) that comes with XP doe snot cause
    > the right-click delay. This in most cases, is caused by 3rd party shell
    > extensions.
    >
    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4
    >
    > ** If the slowness is seen if the system is attached to a network, see:
    >
    > Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After some help from a previous post and some figuring it out on my own I
    > > have sucesfully add "Open With" back. I did this by looking at too others
    > > computers registry and finding a couple of missing keys that I did not
    > > have.
    > > In:
    > > HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With
    > > I made the default value in Open With
    > > {09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}
    > >
    > > In:
    > > HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With EncryptionMenu
    > > I made the default value in Open With EncryptionMenu
    > > {A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}
    > >
    > > Now since I added this right-click is sometimes slow, generally when
    > > right-clicking on a file type for the first time in the last minute or
    > > less.
    > > Or about every 30 seconds or so regardless of the file type. I am not
    > > sure
    > > what the Open With Encryption Menu does, but it seems to have no effect on
    > > right click speed.
    > >
    > > Is there a better way to activate the "open with" so I do not get this
    > > right
    > > click slow down?

    Interesting problem, and never seen before.

    --

    >I disabled all context menus with shexview and still had slow right click.
    > then disabled my network connection it still slowed. When I deleted the
    > registry entries that I described in the first post the slow right click
    > went
    > away.
    >
    > Obviously I can just give up on getting open with, because consisten slow
    > right clicking is much more of a hassle.
    >
    > There must be something that conflicts with the open with entries, OR I
    > did
    > not add 100% of the registry entries needed to make open with work 100%
    > correctly.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The default ones (context menu handlers) that comes with XP doe snot
    >> cause
    >> the right-click delay. This in most cases, is caused by 3rd party shell
    >> extensions.
    >>
    >> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4
    >>
    >> ** If the slowness is seen if the system is attached to a network, see:
    >>
    >> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

  4. I used this programs from Nirsoft to look for the items in the registry

    http://gliblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/slow-context-menu-on-windows-xp.html

Windows XP