Right Click Slow - NOT what you think (Open With)

July 12, 2005 11:53:04 PM

After some help from a previous post and some figuring it out on my own I
have sucesfully add "Open With" back. I did this by looking at too others
computers registry and finding a couple of missing keys that I did not have.
In:
HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With
I made the default value in Open With
{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}

In:
HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With EncryptionMenu
I made the default value in Open With EncryptionMenu
{A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}

Now since I added this right-click is sometimes slow, generally when
right-clicking on a file type for the first time in the last minute or less.
Or about every 30 seconds or so regardless of the file type. I am not sure
what the Open With Encryption Menu does, but it seems to have no effect on
right click speed.

Is there a better way to activate the "open with" so I do not get this right
click slow down?

More about : click slow open

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:28:49 PM

The default ones (context menu handlers) that comes with XP doe snot cause
the right-click delay. This in most cases, is caused by 3rd party shell
extensions.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4

** If the slowness is seen if the system is attached to a network, see:

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After some help from a previous post and some figuring it out on my own I
> have sucesfully add "Open With" back. I did this by looking at too others
> computers registry and finding a couple of missing keys that I did not
> have.
> In:
> HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With
> I made the default value in Open With
> {09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}
>
> In:
> HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With EncryptionMenu
> I made the default value in Open With EncryptionMenu
> {A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}
>
> Now since I added this right-click is sometimes slow, generally when
> right-clicking on a file type for the first time in the last minute or
> less.
> Or about every 30 seconds or so regardless of the file type. I am not
> sure
> what the Open With Encryption Menu does, but it seems to have no effect on
> right click speed.
>
> Is there a better way to activate the "open with" so I do not get this
> right
> click slow down?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:28:50 PM

I disabled all context menus with shexview and still had slow right click. I
then disabled my network connection it still slowed. When I deleted the
registry entries that I described in the first post the slow right click went
away.

Obviously I can just give up on getting open with, because consisten slow
right clicking is much more of a hassle.

There must be something that conflicts with the open with entries, OR I did
not add 100% of the registry entries needed to make open with work 100%
correctly.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The default ones (context menu handlers) that comes with XP doe snot cause
> the right-click delay. This in most cases, is caused by 3rd party shell
> extensions.
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4
>
> ** If the slowness is seen if the system is attached to a network, see:
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "biggoron" <biggoron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After some help from a previous post and some figuring it out on my own I
> > have sucesfully add "Open With" back. I did this by looking at too others
> > computers registry and finding a couple of missing keys that I did not
> > have.
> > In:
> > HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With
> > I made the default value in Open With
> > {09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}
> >
> > In:
> > HKCR/*/Shellex/contextMenuHandlers/Open With EncryptionMenu
> > I made the default value in Open With EncryptionMenu
> > {A470F8CF-A1E8-4f65-8335-227475AA5C46}
> >
> > Now since I added this right-click is sometimes slow, generally when
> > right-clicking on a file type for the first time in the last minute or
> > less.
> > Or about every 30 seconds or so regardless of the file type. I am not
> > sure
> > what the Open With Encryption Menu does, but it seems to have no effect on
> > right click speed.
> >
> > Is there a better way to activate the "open with" so I do not get this
> > right
> > click slow down?

July 13, 2005 1:24:46 PM

Interesting problem, and never seen before.

--

news:D 5AACF45-12D4-42C2-A118-E25D9CCA15EA@microsoft.com...

!