Explorer Hangs Upon Choosing File>Open

Windows Explorer hangs about 60% of the time upon choosing a file to open,
such as a photo or a video.

Many spyware/virus scans run, registry fixes, most .zip files deleted... and
sometimes Explorer will work justfine x number of times, then hangs the
computer.

When it does hang, I can see it using up CPU cycles but I can't terminate it
or any other apps running from Task Manager.

This is costing me many restarts via the power switch on the computer and it
is DRIVING ME BATTY!

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about explorer hangs choosing file open

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "kbreak" <kbreak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBB6604E-AC06-49EE-A893-4083DD533925@microsoft.com...
    > Windows Explorer hangs about 60% of the time upon choosing a file to open,
    > such as a photo or a video.
    >
    > Many spyware/virus scans run, registry fixes, most .zip files deleted... and
    > sometimes Explorer will work justfine x number of times, then hangs the
    > computer.
    >
    > When it does hang, I can see it using up CPU cycles but I can't terminate it
    > or any other apps running from Task Manager.
    >
    > This is costing me many restarts via the power switch on the computer and it
    > is DRIVING ME BATTY!
    >
    > TIA

    Now that is a very interesting thing to run that I never heard of.

    I ran it this morning and it asked for my SP2 disk.
    d'oh!

    So I spent about an hour inside MS.com looking for just... SP2.

    Ended up googling a link to the download, burning a disk now and we'll see.
    thanks.

Explorer Windows XP