Explorer Hangs Upon Choosing File>Open

July 13, 2005 1:42:03 AM

Windows Explorer hangs about 60% of the time upon choosing a file to open,
such as a photo or a video.

Many spyware/virus scans run, registry fixes, most .zip files deleted... and
sometimes Explorer will work justfine x number of times, then hangs the
computer.

When it does hang, I can see it using up CPU cycles but I can't terminate it
or any other apps running from Task Manager.

This is costing me many restarts via the power switch on the computer and it
is DRIVING ME BATTY!

TIA
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:47:20 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"kbreak" <kbreak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBB6604E-AC06-49EE-A893-4083DD533925@microsoft.com...
> Windows Explorer hangs about 60% of the time upon choosing a file to open,
> such as a photo or a video.
>
> Many spyware/virus scans run, registry fixes, most .zip files deleted... and
> sometimes Explorer will work justfine x number of times, then hangs the
> computer.
>
> When it does hang, I can see it using up CPU cycles but I can't terminate it
> or any other apps running from Task Manager.
>
> This is costing me many restarts via the power switch on the computer and it
> is DRIVING ME BATTY!
>
> TIA
July 13, 2005 6:46:01 PM

Now that is a very interesting thing to run that I never heard of.

I ran it this morning and it asked for my SP2 disk.
d'oh!

So I spent about an hour inside MS.com looking for just... SP2.

Ended up googling a link to the download, burning a disk now and we'll see.
thanks.
!