Is there a registry fix for windows update?

July 13, 2005 2:37:42 AM

I've somehow done something so wupdmgr.exe stopped executing when I
select it. I've even gone to the \system32\wupdmgr.exe and tried
clicking it. I've tried setting the NoWindowsUpdate value to 0 in
regedit (got the fix from one of the MVP websites) and that still won't
work. I can go to Microsoft's site and select Windows update and it
updates just fine. But the .exe file won't launch. Any suggestions?
I'm using XP Pro BTW.
.....stumped
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:13:04 PM

Go to this link:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/

Instead of Windows Update, this link refers to Microsoft Update.

Main difference between these two update sites is that WU is only for
Windows OS, and MU is, except WU, for all Microsoft products installed
on your PC (including Office). So, Microsoft Update covers all Windows
updates.

When you go there and follow a few steps, you will have Microsoft
Update installed on your machine and an icon will appear in the start
menu linking to that site. I think that should work well.

Of course, this will not solve the "wupdmgr.exe" problem, but...

--
Madboy
Anonymous

Hi NoSpam,

Does this happen if one instance of Internet Explorer is already open?

If wupdmgr.exe works if an instance of Internet Explorer is already open,
try this repair method:

Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

When you're prompted for the updated system files:

Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

X:\i386

Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"NoSpam" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> I've somehow done something so wupdmgr.exe stopped executing when I select
> it. I've even gone to the \system32\wupdmgr.exe and tried clicking it.
> I've tried setting the NoWindowsUpdate value to 0 in regedit (got the fix
> from one of the MVP websites) and that still won't work. I can go to
> Microsoft's site and select Windows update and it updates just fine. But
> the .exe file won't launch. Any suggestions?
> I'm using XP Pro BTW.
> ....stumped
July 13, 2005 3:36:17 PM

No, it does not happen when IE is open. I'm using classic view in XP
Pro. In the START menu, there's the Windows update icon. You click on
that and it's suppose to start IE and go to the Microsoft Windows update
site. It doesn't do this anymore. It doesn't do anything. If I start IE
and go to microsoft.com and select the windows update, it will go
through the update procedure like it always does. It's when I use the
wupdmgr.exe that I get an hour glass like it's going to start, then
nothing. IE does not start and the hour glass goes back to an arrow.
Thanks for any insight....

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Hi NoSpam,
>
> Does this happen if one instance of Internet Explorer is already open?
>
> If wupdmgr.exe works if an instance of Internet Explorer is already
> open, try this repair method:
>
> Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
> http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm
>
> When you're prompted for the updated system files:
>
> Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
> Windows XP, mention the path as follows:
>
> C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
>
> Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
> latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:
>
> X:\i386
>
> Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:11:11 PM

Open an IE Window and leave it as it is. Now, run the wupdmgr.exe and see
what happens. If that works, then it's due to a missing registry key (I've
tracked it). Reinstallation using IE.INF method helps. Or, try this:

From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set Program
Access and Defaults button. [ Alternately, click Start, Run and type control
appwiz.cpl,,3 ]

Click the Custom button once. From the list that appears, select Internet
Explorer and then click the OK button.

--

> No, it does not happen when IE is open. I'm using classic view in XP Pro.
> In the START menu, there's the Windows update icon. You click on that and
> it's suppose to start IE and go to the Microsoft Windows update site. It
> doesn't do this anymore. It doesn't do anything. If I start IE and go to
> microsoft.com and select the windows update, it will go through the update
> procedure like it always does. It's when I use the wupdmgr.exe that I get
> an hour glass like it's going to start, then nothing. IE does not start
> and the hour glass goes back to an arrow. Thanks for any insight....
>

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Hi NoSpam,
>>
>> Does this happen if one instance of Internet Explorer is already open?
>>
>> If wupdmgr.exe works if an instance of Internet Explorer is already open,
>> try this repair method:
>>
>> Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
>> http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm
>>
>> When you're prompted for the updated system files:
>>
>> Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
>> Windows XP, mention the path as follows:
>>
>> C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
>>
>> Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
>> latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:
>>
>> X:\i386
>>
>> Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:20:52 PM

If I have IE open and try the windows update. It does nothing (hours
glass appears, then goes to arrow with nothing happening). I tried your
control panel fix and it still does the same thing - nothing.

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Open an IE Window and leave it as it is. Now, run the wupdmgr.exe and
> see what happens. If that works, then it's due to a missing registry key
> (I've tracked it). Reinstallation using IE.INF method helps. Or, try this:
>
> From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set
> Program Access and Defaults button. [ Alternately, click Start, Run and
> type control appwiz.cpl,,3 ]
>
> Click the Custom button once. From the list that appears, select
> Internet Explorer and then click the OK button.

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:45:31 PM

FYI: The OP says:

"Madboy" <Madboy.1s3vpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Go to this link:
>
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/
>
> Instead of Windows Update, this link refers to Microsoft Update.
>
> Main difference between these two update sites is that WU is only for
> Windows OS, and MU is, except WU, for all Microsoft products installed
> on your PC (including Office). So, Microsoft Update covers all Windows
> updates.
>
> When you go there and follow a few steps, you will have Microsoft
> Update installed on your machine and an icon will appear in the start
> menu linking to that site. I think that should work well.
>
> Of course, this will not solve the "wupdmgr.exe" problem, but...
>

> --
> Madboy
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:46:34 PM

This might be your ticket:

> If I have IE open and try the windows update. It does nothing (hours glass
> appears, then goes to arrow with nothing happening). I tried your control
> panel fix and it still does the same thing - nothing.
>

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Open an IE Window and leave it as it is. Now, run the wupdmgr.exe and see
>> what happens. If that works, then it's due to a missing registry key
>> (I've tracked it). Reinstallation using IE.INF method helps. Or, try
>> this:
>>
>> From Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs applet, and choose Set
>> Program Access and Defaults button. [ Alternately, click Start, Run and
>> type control appwiz.cpl,,3 ]
>>
>> Click the Custom button once. From the list that appears, select Internet
>> Explorer and then click the OK button.

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 6:06:34 PM

I tried your link. I started getting install messages like 'can't find
file idew.exe, please insert service pack 2 CD'. I did this and it still
couldn't find the file. This wasn't the only file that came up, but I
stopped after not being able to find the 3rd file. I did a restore point
prior to this fresh install and went back to that point. I didn't want
to get deeper into something that I couldn't back out of. Looks like
I'll need to do a fresh XP install to correct things. And at this time
I'm not willing to do that. I've created a URL shortcut in my START area
as a shortcut to bring up the windows update site. That works just as
well as the wupdmgr.exe file. Thanks for your help; I do appreciate it.

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> This might be your ticket:
> http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:33:48 PM

>> please insert service pack 2 CD'

You need to insert the XP (slipstreamed with SP2) CD in order for the repair
to complete successfully.

--

>I tried your link. I started getting install messages like 'can't find file
>idew.exe, please insert service pack 2 CD'. I did this and it still
>couldn't find the file. This wasn't the only file that came up, but I
>stopped after not being able to find the 3rd file. I did a restore point
>prior to this fresh install and went back to that point. I didn't want to
>get deeper into something that I couldn't back out of. Looks like I'll need
>to do a fresh XP install to correct things. And at this time I'm not
>willing to do that. I've created a URL shortcut in my START area as a
>shortcut to bring up the windows update site. That works just as well as
>the wupdmgr.exe file. Thanks for your help; I do appreciate it.
>

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> This might be your ticket:
>> http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:08:42 PM

I tried it with with the CD you mentioned. IE reinstalled, but still no
go with the wupdmgr.exe problem. Weird, hugh? Thanks again.

!