Your question

Restore default security permissions for the hard disk partitions

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 12:54:43 PM

Hello,
I have changed the permissions for the access of files and folders in the security tab of given in the properties of the Hard Disk Partition.Now I other users of the same computer cannot access the drive or make changes there. I tried hard to solve the problem but the output is "Access Denied". Any way to make this permissions to its default(or The normal state which it was).
My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 5:28:55 PM

Hello intruderprime, It sounds like you need to readjust your User Account Control Settings. To do so log-in to the administrator account on your PC and follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
3. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.
4. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.
5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
6. In the Security section of the Windows Solution Center page, click Adjust UAC Settings.
7. On the User Account Control Settings page:
- To disable UAC, move the slider to Never notify, and then click OK.
- To enable UAC or change levels of notification, move the slider to the appropriate notification option, and then click OK.
If you decide to disable UAC, you will need to restart your computer in order to save the new settings.

Another option is to do a system restore to a time before you changed permissions in the first place.

Let us know what happens!
Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

a b 8 Security
a c 288 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 3:06:03 PM

Quote:
Hello,
I have changed the permissions for the access of files and folders in the security tab of given in the properties of the Hard Disk Partition.Now I other users of the same computer cannot access the drive or make changes there. I tried hard to solve the problem but the output is "Access Denied". Any way to make this permissions to its default(or The normal state which it was).

Did you remove yourself from the rights of the drive as well? I have seen that happen, and it's not pretty. System Restore may work, but you may run into an issue where the program can't write anything to the drive because you removed all permissions even for System. Good idea not to mess with things unless you know the how, and sometimes as important, the why.

When you go to the Security tab of the area you changed, what is in there?
Related resources
November 11, 2011 11:16:04 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Did you remove yourself from the rights of the drive as well? I have seen that happen, and it's not pretty. System Restore may work, but you may run into an issue where the program can't write anything to the drive because you removed all permissions even for System. Good idea not to mess with things unless you know the how, and sometimes as important, the why.

OMG ! That's exactly what i just did. I was trying to make it so the other account didn't have access to download anything. Now, it's preventing admin as well. I can't go back and change anything nor can I do system restore. HELP !?
a b 8 Security
a c 371 $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 11:17:34 PM

Start a new thread and you will receive replies
November 12, 2011 12:21:58 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Start a new thread and you will receive replies

Sorry, I don't know how to.
February 18, 2012 12:08:15 PM

hang-the-9 said:

Hello,

Right click on the drive that is giving the issue, select properties, security, add, advanced,select find now ( leave the seach field blank.), Choose the names you are missing. You should have
creator owner,
sytem.
administrator
users
December 10, 2012 1:41:28 PM

Having this same problem in Win7. Turning off UAC fixed it. Don't know why, but THANK YOU CASSANDRA!!!

cassandraf_winteam said:
Hello intruderprime, It sounds like you need to readjust your User Account Control Settings. To do so log-in to the administrator account on your PC and follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
3. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.
4. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.
5. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.
6. In the Security section of the Windows Solution Center page, click Adjust UAC Settings.
7. On the User Account Control Settings page:
- To disable UAC, move the slider to Never notify, and then click OK.
- To enable UAC or change levels of notification, move the slider to the appropriate notification option, and then click OK.
If you decide to disable UAC, you will need to restart your computer in order to save the new settings.

Another option is to do a system restore to a time before you changed permissions in the first place.

Let us know what happens!
Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
February 5, 2013 10:14:01 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Right Click on Partition -> Properties -> Security -> advanced -> Owner tab -> edit -> Other Users or Groups -> advanced -> find now -> click on "Users" or "Administrator" -> ok -> click on "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" -> apply.

It will show the message

"If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need to close and reopen this object's properties before you can view or change permissions."

hit "ok" and close all. now you can access the files and folders.
April 16, 2013 8:34:34 AM

the steps worked !!
good work @mvallalraj

Right Click on Partition -> Properties -> Security -> advanced -> Owner tab -> edit -> Other Users or Groups -> advanced -> find now -> click on "Users" or "Administrator" -> ok -> click on "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" -> apply.

It will show the message

"If you have just taken ownership of this object, you will need to close and reopen this object's properties before you can view or change permissions."

April 23, 2013 7:39:06 PM

mvallalraj said:
Quote:
Hello,

Please where do I find this "partition" tab on my laptop as I have locked myself absolutely out of making any changes.

It will show the message

July 19, 2013 12:47:32 AM

TheExecutweet said:
mvallalraj said:
Quote:

It will show the message

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks a lot!! you saved my life. :*:love: 
August 24, 2013 9:29:41 PM

i am having a same problem and mine is
after i follow your steps i coudn't go through edit "

Right Click on Partition -> Properties -> Security -> advanced -> Owner tab -> edit

it says access denied at when i click on edit

-> Other Users or Groups -> advanced -> find now -> click on "Users" or "Administrator" -> ok -> click on "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" -> apply.

It will show the message

October 2, 2013 1:42:05 AM

Use Permissions Time Machine v1.0 to restore default permissions to folder or files or registry keys it's free and fast and easy
http://goo.gl/730w8z
December 1, 2013 12:03:02 PM

I use Permissions Time Machine v1.2 to restore permissions to folder or files or registry keys
i download it from amyd projects blog
January 23, 2014 6:38:44 AM

mvallalraj said:
Quote:
Hello,

It will show the message

Thank you very much-it worked just like you said! They should ask you if you're sure you want to make these changes beforehand, especially when you are taking away your own( or everyone's) permissions!:bounce: 
!