G

My new friend ( yaaahoooo, :-o) ) likes video games & I have previously have not had a gaming system.

Games on my existing system without a 3D card are not what I see on 3D gaming systems.

I going to upgrade my OCed Celeron 300A to a OCed 566 Celeron.. abit BX rev 2 MB, 128 meg ram (I use voice recognition for work is why I have this much system!)

The cost of a decient video card alone is more than the cost of a Playstation 1 console.

Question
PC games vs Playstation games?
Game availability?

I know this is a PC forum, but if I could keep my PC privite, by adding a Playstation to the TV, that would be another advantage!!!

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
this really comes to a matter of personal taste, not something we can tell you. This probably isn't the best place to be asking. If you want to know more you should probably research more. Alot of it comes down to what you use your PC for and how much you are willing to spend.
Personally I would go for a PC, but then again you are on a PC-geek forum, so...
BTW if you really like the PSX games, the computer does have bleem which emulates many of the games very well, and is legal, too.
Some PC advantages to consider are...
More uses than just games (video editing, 3D rendering, word processing, MP3s, cd burning, programming, the list goes on), No memory card worries, Lots of periphals to choose from, Games that simply cannot be done well on a console, and often PC games have a lot more to them than console games. Console games you will get a lot of simple action games whereas on PC you get such games as Deus Ex, Longest Journey, Baldurs Gate II, etc... PCs have the best internet play and are upgradeable.
Then again consoles are cheaper and rarely freeze alot and you can take them with you to other ppls houses.
Like I said its your choice do some research and decide whats important to you and how much you want to spend.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Heck ! A decent video it´s even more expensive than a Playstaion 2!

But hey , if you buy the P2 and the card you´ll have the best from both worlds!

And i think its worth every cent!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The graphics on the computer alone are worth the more money. If anyone says that Playstation beats PC gaming they are high or close to death.

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on what you mean by a "decent" card. I think GF2MX cards are considered at least "decent" and you can get them now for under $100. A GF2MX will certainly be a lot better than what you have now if you don't have a 3d card.

Just my 2 cents...

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Better yet you can get a Radeon LE for under $90 which has 32mb of DDR ram. Overclocks better than alot of Radeon 32's. Just add a small fan to the Radeon chip. Geforce Mx doesn't come close to it in High resolution 32 bit gaming. Plus the Radeon boards have significantly better visual quality, compare these two images side by side, one is from the GeForce Ultra, the other is from a Radeon 32:

GTS 2 Ultra
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/radeon/q3gf2.html" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/radeon/q3gf2.html</A>

Radeon 32
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/radeon/q3rad.html" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/radeon/q3rad.html</A>

The radeon quality is vivid, clear and striking while the Ultra is not. I thought my friends GTS 2 card had something wrong with it the first time I played on it. Games just wasn't striking at all compared to my Radeon, dull, blurry at high res, now I believe it is the chipset and drivers. ATI does everything for quality while it seems Nvidia is compromising visual quality for Frames per Second just for bragging rights. Playing a game on the Radeon in intensive, you usually taken by surprise with all the details like Alice In Wonderland and get consumed and lost in a new world. Sometimes alien, time dissappears and you finally realize you just woke up to reality and it is morning. My friends computer monitor is not the problem since prior to this he had a VooDoo 3000 which was sharp compared to the GTS II. Unfortunately those who have a Geforce card and above may not even notice the difference in the two images above. If you have a Matrox, ATI or Voodoo card on a decent monitor then you will know what I am talking about. Now imagine rendering that visual image 60FPS on the Radeon and then 90FPS on the Geforce Ultra - which one would you want to play on?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can tell you're lying about playing on your friend's computer with a GTS. I have a GTS, and I have played on many a systems with a Radeon and cannot tell the difference in visual quality. If you can tell a difference between the two pictures you posted you have genetically enhanced vision. Why do you think all the gaming systems have Gf2s in them? CAUSE THEY;RE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
I think Loko should change is monitor , which must be crap!
I have a Sony G-200 and a Geforce 2 GTS and can say the images are perfect!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Just as I thought, you can't tell the difference :lol: lol. I have a 20" trinitron monitor and I can tell a big difference. Hopefully you can too with the equipement you have. Why would a reviewer compare something like that in the first place unless there was a difference? Well if your monitor is fuzzy or video card then looking at those two pictures whould be meaningless and probably pointless. Yes, a GTS 2 from Dell in a 800mh PentiumIII with an 19" HP monitor he was unfornate to obtain. When I cranked up the resolution to 1600x1200 I could see some ghosting on the text. This doesn't happen with the Radeon. Now all Nvidia cards are not the same so don't get me wrong. Supposenly the Hercules brand cards have decent 2d compared to the rest. As for WordKaos it is not your sony G-200 that is preventing you to from seeing the difference in those two sample pictures. Anybody out there with a Matrox card and a high quality monitor? A Voodoo? Care to comment and compare.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/09/01 07:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Neither my Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS w/ 64 Mb (with heatsinks on the memory banks!)

Ohh! I just love the way that sounds! :-D

G

hey griezly,

I think i should call 911. I think my cousin is close too death. hehe

mark

"I thought i would never see a resonance cascade, let alone create one."

G

"Anybody out there with a Matrox card and a high quality monitor? A Voodoo? Care to comment and compare."

I have a Matrox G400 and a Sony Trinitron 19", and I can see a difference in the two pics. The only real problem with comparing them is that they both are somewhat compressed .jpgs. If you look at the Radeon pic at:

http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/radeon/q3rad.html

you can see rainbow-ish (red and green, mostly) compression errors along the upper left side of the large red circle. It is rather unfair to make comparisions of visual quality when what we are looking at is _not_ the real output of the cards being compared.

That said, I can certainly see a difference between the two. The GeForce's textures are much more blurry than the Radeon. It is especially apparent (to me) in the texture on the red circle, the cracks are much sharper and more defined in the Radeon's pic. Still, it would be nice to see pics that were saved without lossy compression... :)

WickedGrey

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The difference, though, is so small that you won't even be able to tell the difference when you're fragging someone with a chaingun. this arguement is as legit as arguing over 3 fps.

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Going , going , gone!!!
Home run for the Griz !

Damn , those Radeon guys don´t quit!
They seem like that Duracell bunny ! (It keeps going, and going , and going, and going.............and going!)

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
It is the energizer bunny! I think lordy and wusy were both watching the same duracell bunny comercials when they were nine years old, hehe.

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I agree go for the lot.

SSX and Timesplitters on the P2 Rock (especially with a few mates round for beers).

Unreal Tournament is probably the second most played game I've owned (Elite on my CPC 464 probably clocked up the most time ever!). UT is responsible for no one being able to phone me for long periods - good visuals excellent game play and I'm running an o/ced PII and a TNT2.

Hmmmm... Donuts

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well the difference is very apparent when your video card or monitor doesn't blur the image. Obviously our two Nvidia chipset guys are having a hard time noticing any difference. I see a striking difference in quality and this is after jpeg compression. What whould it look like in real life? Here is a Sharkey review comparing 2d quality, well it now looks like 3d rendering quality of the Nvidia chipset cards are now being questioned as well.

<A HREF="http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/super_he_video_shootout_10-00/8.shtml" target="_new">http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/super_he_video_shootout_10-00/8.shtml</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I guess it's easy to get massive increases in FPS if you blur everything and don't have to render all the details. ATI = Stunning striking quality, Nvidia = Fast moving crapola. :lol:

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
You guys never quit, do you?

Don´t you have anything better to do?

I think the Lenses on your glasses are so strong that only you can see the difference! Or maybe you stick your nose on the screen in hope to spot something different!

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
And who´s this sharkyextreme ?
Does he have any reputation to uphold? Like TOM´s hardware has?

I saw a review from this sharkyextreme and what i saw was The Radeon getting its silicone hard little ass being dragged all over the floor in all but 2 times!