Unexplained internet activity

I have XP Pro with SP1, auto update is set to notify only. Earlier today I
downloaded some of the notified updates (but not all). I thought that
completed as the message to restart the computer appeared. But now every
time I'm connected (dial-up), there's a lot of unexplained activity (many
MB).
1) How can I see what is causing the activity?
2) Could it be do to with Windows Update (perhaps SP2, which I have on CD
but haven't yet installed)?
3) If it is from Windows Update, how do I stop it?

I hope it's appropriate to post this here. If not, can you suggest where is
better?

Thanks.

Gordon

"nevereven" <nomail@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have XP Pro with SP1, auto update is set to notify only. Earlier today I
> downloaded some of the notified updates (but not all). I thought that
> completed as the message to restart the computer appeared. But now every
> time I'm connected (dial-up), there's a lot of unexplained activity (many
> MB).
> 1) How can I see what is causing the activity?
> 2) Could it be do to with Windows Update (perhaps SP2, which I have on CD
> but haven't yet installed)?
> 3) If it is from Windows Update, how do I stop it?
>
> I hope it's appropriate to post this here. If not, can you suggest where
is
> better?
>
> Thanks.

is the Windows firewall on, or do you have a third party firewall in place?

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "nevereven" <nomail@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > I have XP Pro with SP1, auto update is set to notify only. Earlier today
> > downloaded some of the notified updates (but not all). I thought that
> > completed as the message to restart the computer appeared. But now every
> > time I'm connected (dial-up), there's a lot of unexplained activity
(many
> > MB).
> > 1) How can I see what is causing the activity?
> > 2) Could it be do to with Windows Update (perhaps SP2, which I have on
CD
> > but haven't yet installed)?
> > 3) If it is from Windows Update, how do I stop it?
> >
> > I hope it's appropriate to post this here. If not, can you suggest where
> is
> > better?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> is the Windows firewall on, or do you have a third party firewall in
place?

Windows firewall is on.
The update icon in the bottom right corner of the screen (notification
tray?) reports "Updates are ready for your computer" (referring, I think) to
the updates I chose not to download). But I also saw it report something
like "Download 45% complete".

> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > "nevereven" <nomail@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > I have XP Pro with SP1, auto update is set to notify only. Earlier
today
> > > downloaded some of the notified updates (but not all). I thought that
> > > completed as the message to restart the computer appeared. But now
every
> > > time I'm connected (dial-up), there's a lot of unexplained activity
> (many
> > > MB).
> > > 1) How can I see what is causing the activity?
> > > 2) Could it be do to with Windows Update (perhaps SP2, which I have on
> CD
> > > but haven't yet installed)?
> > > 3) If it is from Windows Update, how do I stop it?
> > >
> > > I hope it's appropriate to post this here. If not, can you suggest
where
> > is
> > > better?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > is the Windows firewall on, or do you have a third party firewall in
> place?
> >

> Windows firewall is on.
> The update icon in the bottom right corner of the screen (notification
> tray?) reports "Updates are ready for your computer" (referring, I think)
> the updates I chose not to download). But I also saw it report something
> like "Download 45% complete".
>
> The only solution I could find for this was to change the Auto Update
setting from "notify only" to "not at all". This has stopped the huge
download. The only drawback is having to remember to check occasionally at
Microsoft for updates.