Windows Open and Close uncontrollably

I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows open close uncontrollably

    The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
    defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
    your system.

    If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
    back for more info on this - if needed)

    "dianetrot" wrote:

    > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
    > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
    > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
    > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
    > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
    > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?

    I'll go out and buy a mouse and keyboard when stores are open. I'll get back
    to you in a couple of hours.

    "usasma" wrote:

    > The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
    > defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
    > your system.
    >
    > If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
    > back for more info on this - if needed)
    >
    > "dianetrot" wrote:
    >
    > > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
    > > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
    > > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
    > > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
    > > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
    > > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?

    I plugged in the new mouse....voila! I will return the keyboard because it
    was indeed the mouse. I thought I had a virus.

    "usasma" wrote:

    > The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
    > defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
    > your system.
    >
    > If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
    > back for more info on this - if needed)
    >
    > "dianetrot" wrote:
    >
    > > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
    > > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
    > > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
    > > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
    > > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
    > > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?

    That's great! I really love an easy fix! You might want to hang on to the
    keyboard as a spare. Just in case something goes wrong with yours at a later
    date (sticky keys, spilled coffee, etc)

    As you learn more and more about computer systems these parts will come in
    handy. Eventually they'll take over the area where your computer is. I've
    got 3 computers, a monitor, 2 printers, and countless other cards and
    peripherals laying around my computer desk right now :)

    "dianetrot" wrote:

    > I plugged in the new mouse....voila! I will return the keyboard because it
    > was indeed the mouse. I thought I had a virus.
    >
    > "usasma" wrote:
    >
    > > The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
    > > defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
    > > your system.
    > >
    > > If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
    > > back for more info on this - if needed)
    > >
    > > "dianetrot" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
    > > > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
    > > > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
    > > > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
    > > > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
    > > > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?

    I'm just glad I didn't have to pay a computer repair person or the $35 an
    hour for the Microsoft support. I was going to get rid of the mouse but you
    give great advice!

    Thanks again!

    Diane

    "usasma" wrote:

    > That's great! I really love an easy fix! You might want to hang on to the
    > keyboard as a spare. Just in case something goes wrong with yours at a later
    > date (sticky keys, spilled coffee, etc)
    >
    > As you learn more and more about computer systems these parts will come in
    > handy. Eventually they'll take over the area where your computer is. I've
    > got 3 computers, a monitor, 2 printers, and countless other cards and
    > peripherals laying around my computer desk right now :)
    >

    > "dianetrot" wrote:
    >
    > > I plugged in the new mouse....voila! I will return the keyboard because it
    > > was indeed the mouse. I thought I had a virus.
    > >
    > > "usasma" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
    > > > defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
    > > > your system.
    > > >
    > > > If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
    > > > back for more info on this - if needed)

Microsoft Windows XP