Windows Open and Close uncontrollably

July 13, 2005 9:46:14 AM

I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:41:02 AM

The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
your system.

If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
back for more info on this - if needed)

"dianetrot" wrote:

> I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
> recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
> All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
> around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
> do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
> two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 11:18:05 AM

I'll go out and buy a mouse and keyboard when stores are open. I'll get back
to you in a couple of hours.

"usasma" wrote:

> The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
> defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
> your system.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
> back for more info on this - if needed)
>
> "dianetrot" wrote:
>
> > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
> > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
> > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
> > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
> > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
> > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?
July 14, 2005 2:32:02 AM

I plugged in the new mouse....voila! I will return the keyboard because it
was indeed the mouse. I thought I had a virus.

"usasma" wrote:

> The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
> defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
> your system.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
> back for more info on this - if needed)
>
> "dianetrot" wrote:
>
> > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
> > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
> > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
> > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
> > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
> > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:19:03 AM

That's great! I really love an easy fix! You might want to hang on to the
keyboard as a spare. Just in case something goes wrong with yours at a later
date (sticky keys, spilled coffee, etc)

As you learn more and more about computer systems these parts will come in
handy. Eventually they'll take over the area where your computer is. I've
got 3 computers, a monitor, 2 printers, and countless other cards and
peripherals laying around my computer desk right now :)

"dianetrot" wrote:

> I plugged in the new mouse....voila! I will return the keyboard because it
> was indeed the mouse. I thought I had a virus.
>
> "usasma" wrote:
>
> > The first step here is to make sure that your keyboard and mouse aren't
> > defective. Borrow them from someone that knows they're good and try it on
> > your system.
> >
> > If that doesn't fix it, then start scanning for viruses and spyware (post
> > back for more info on this - if needed)
> >
> > "dianetrot" wrote:
> >
> > > I can't find any help in Knowledge Base. Norton Systemworks doesn't
> > > recognize a virus. I have Ad-ware and still get the problem.
> > > All of a sudden windows start opening and closing, the tool bar moves
> > > around, etc. All I can do is watch and wait until it finishes. Sometimes I
> > > do control, alt, deleted and close a program. That works for a minute or
> > > two. Should I reinstall Windows? What's going on?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:16:08 AM

I'm just glad I didn't have to pay a computer repair person or the $35 an
hour for the Microsoft support. I was going to get rid of the mouse but you
give great advice!

Thanks again!

Diane

!